Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/28/2003 10:30:30 AM EDT
Do you have them.? I have several, but I've been debating lately. If you take care of an AR that you shoot, you cant hardly mess one up. The ones I shoot are in the same condition as they were as when I got them.
So the debate. I dont buy to re-sell. So do I keep the queens in the safe only to take them out to look at them, or show them to someone once in awhile? Or pass them on when I'm gone to someone who is not into them, or do I take them to the range shoot them once in awhile , take care of them and enjoy them?
Kev.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 10:35:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I think they should be used and properly cared for.  If you want to look at a firearm, go to the museum.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 10:51:48 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm leaning that way too. Peach
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 10:54:07 AM EDT
[#3]
I shoot all of my guns.  I can't grasp the idea of spending big bucks on a rifle just so you can say you have one.  I get enjoyment out of using my toys, not just knowing I have one.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 10:56:46 AM EDT
[#4]
That's what they're for.  Shoot them, take care of them and enjoy them.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 11:02:43 AM EDT
[#5]
What do y'all suppose someone does with a collectors grade firearm UNFIRED MINT condition?
Shoot it?I think NOT.The collectors value would
be greatly depreciated.

If you want to shoot,DON'T get a collectable
rifle.Get a shooter.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 11:11:32 AM EDT
[#6]
hmmmmmm....Let's say I acquired a 1964, mint, unfired AR 15....Theres' no way I would shoot it!!!One round down the tube, and a great deal of it's value has vanished. Too many others available to shoot which don't have the same collectors value. I have several safe queens who aren't invited out to play, they're content to keep the shooters company. PS..If you feel too guilty, I'd be happy to give them a good home in my big metal box..You can have visitation rights, maybe....
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 11:20:18 AM EDT
[#7]
I'll let you guys have your safe queens.

Mine are shooters thank you.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 11:21:45 AM EDT
[#8]
mmsig229..You know they have plenty of company in their own big metal box [:D]
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 11:33:03 AM EDT
[#9]
And If I make them safe queens, yea the value will go up but I dont buy to re-sell. They'll be fired but still mint and I could enjoy them?
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 11:47:46 AM EDT
[#10]
If the gun was designed to sit in a safe and be looked at it would have a 40 pound pedistal built into the buttstock and covered in gold and diamonds. Since I havent seen a AR like that yet, I dont have safe queens. Safe queens are useless, and I dont like useless things.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 12:02:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Do whatever turns yer crank, they're YOURS!! [8D]
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 12:10:53 PM EDT
[#12]
If you purchase a rare firearm as an investment then it had better be a safe queen or you're defeating the purpose of the purchase.

If it's a run-of-the-mill shooter, then shoot the damned thing.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 12:16:53 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a couple they were passed down through the family.  Probably not a great deal of value to anyone not related.
Maybe not too old to shoot, but I'd sure kick myself if anything happened to them.
They will sit in my son's gunsafe someday.

I cannot see myself buying a gun just for an investment.  
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 12:26:43 PM EDT
[#14]
This is a touchy question.

If you have a firearm that is safe queen status, I would say don't shoot it. I own several guns that I enjoy just owning. If something is rare and NIB it doesn't do it  any justice to shoot it.

As an example, I have a close friend who has a 6 in. Colt Python he bought new in the seventies. This gun has rarely been out of the factory plastic wrap much less fired. It is truly a beautiful pistol. It would be a crime to shoot this gun now after all these years. Plus, it would be absolutely pointless. NIB, unfired Pythons aren't exactly easy to come by.

If you want a shooter then buy one. I see no point in buying a gun with some collector status and shooting the hell out of it. I have a Colt SP1 that is a semi safe queen because I see no real reason to run tons of ammo through it. I have three other ARs that fit the bill as shooters so the SP1 resides in the safe.

Bottom line is some people do enjoy keeping firearms in pristine condition. I guess it's pride of ownership or keeping them for future generations or whatever, but I do see a place for the safe queens in the gun world.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 12:34:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 12:40:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Personally I have never understood the reason behind keeping safe queens, especially when it comes to a run of the mill post ban AR-15. The value between a safe queen and a well maintained weapon that is used is negligable. Now if you own a SIG 550 or C3 MP5, or anything else that is well over 5K, perhaps I can see it as an investment. I buy weapons to shoot, not as investments. Buy land if you want to invest... buy weapons for self defense, sport, and entertainment.

Like DPeacher said, "If you want to look at a firearm, go to the museum."
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 1:38:06 PM EDT
[#17]
I would say that if you want to shoot your guns then shoot them.

If you want to save them for someone later or to sell at a tidy profit then let them sit there and increase in value!

Whichever way you choose it is your decision!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 1:42:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Ever since I moved to texas ALL my guns have been safe queens. Except fot the Browning Citori that I skeet shoot every weekend. Texas has no public land and it REALLY SUCKS! I sure miss nevada.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 5:54:20 PM EDT
[#19]
I have other shooter AR's, but I have three that I cant decide, shoot them and take care of them or let them sit.
The three are
1. 1964 SP1 mint, appearently unfired, carboard sleeve still in the barrel.
2.A Government carbine that's never had a mag. inserted in the mag. well.
3.A DPMS Very custom built by DPMS Super Bull Extreme 24
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 5:58:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have other shooter AR's, but I have three that I cant decide, shoot them and take care of them or let them sit.
The three are
View Quote

Keep the '64 SP1 in the safe, lock and load the Colt and DPMS.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 6:02:44 PM EDT
[#21]
What's the big deal here? If a guy has a firearm that he wants to save for an investment, so be it. Let him live his life.

Me? I haven't got that kind of money to throw down on a weapon I do not intend to use. All of mine are shooters.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 6:03:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Stryker.. I think you have the answer there.
Kev.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 6:49:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The three are
View Quote

Keep the '64 SP1 in the safe, lock and load the Colt and DPMS.
View Quote

Agreed.  The '64 SP1 does deserve to be a safe queen.  

A few years ago, I went to the NRA national convention in Kansas CIty.  I put $20 into a drawing for a custom built .404 Jeffery valued at $20K+.  My cousin asked what I would do with the rifle if I should win it.  I told him I would view it as a $20 rifle, buy some dies and shoot it the same way I shoot my .416 Rigby.  I thought my cousin was going to have a heart attack.  I exchanged a few posts on another board with the stock maker for that rifle, and I told him that if I shoiuld win it that I planned to shoot it as often as I could.  He said that as far as he was concerned, a fine rifle like that BEGS to be taken afield and used.  But I think if I had to pay for a rifle like that, a true investment grade weapon, that was unfired and the firing of the weapon would reduce it's value, then it would become and remain a safe queen.

Right now, I'm glad I can afford to shoot a few nice rifles, but not able to afford purchasing a true collector grade piece.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 6:55:03 PM EDT
[#24]
I have a full size double eagle, in addition to my carry officer double eagle, but I have probably fired a total of 50 rounds through the full sized, ever.

Nice gun, though.

Link Posted: 6/28/2003 9:25:22 PM EDT
[#25]
I've got 5 guns that go to the range every time I go. About another 20 that get to go pretty often. Ten or 15 more that have been a few times. I have several that I've never taken out of the house since I got them. No particular reason, picked them up here and there for good prices, just never got around to shooting them. Guns don't get taxed and you don't have to feed them so I guess I'll just keep 'em around just in case I ever do want to shoot them.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 9:32:33 PM EDT
[#26]
sorry I thought this was another gay thread.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top