Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/27/2003 9:03:56 PM EDT
This used to run occasionally when powering up if I'd had trouble shutting down properly.

The about a month ago, it began to run 2-3 time a week.

Now it seems to run every time I power up.

But it never indicates any errors found.

Is it supposed to put the results in a log somewhere?   Where?

Also, I can't run it once I'm logged on to our LAN.

And there is no defrag tool, that sucks, but it's another story.

I'm tempted to think my hard drive is dying a slow death.  But you'd think that would cause it to report errors.

Any ideas?
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 9:33:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 9:38:06 PM EDT
[#2]
prk,
Bit rusty on 4.0 here.
Auto Check is DOS chkdsk.  Sounds to me like you have it flagged somewhere in the registry, such as HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
or in your startup folder
It doesn't log errors, AFAIK.  Just displays them.
What do you mean you can't run it after you've logged into the LAN?  You can't chkdsk an NTFS drive since it cannot be locked by the system for exclusive access.  That's why chkdsk runs on boot up.

Diskkeeper is your friend.  Search and become enlightened.  Pretty shitty for MS to not include a defrag util in NT.  Guess it goes back to the exclusive drive access ....
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 10:25:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
prk,
Bit rusty on 4.0 here.
Auto Check is DOS chkdsk.  Sounds to me like you have it flagged somewhere in the registry, such as HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
or in your startup folder
It doesn't log errors, AFAIK.  Just displays them.
What do you mean you can't run it after you've logged into the LAN?  You can't chkdsk an NTFS drive since it cannot be locked by the system for exclusive access.  That's why chkdsk runs on boot up.

Diskkeeper is your friend.  Search and become enlightened.  Pretty shitty for MS to not include a defrag util in NT.  Guess it goes back to the exclusive drive access ....
View Quote

QWhat I mean is, once logged on, the accesory applications under what, administrative tools?? don't include checkdisk.

Maybe you're right about the registry.

OTOH, I just realized, thank to you guys, that maybe I should see if I can try it from a command prompt (DOS window)

also, I just ahd this idea:   I have a power-on password.  The techs don't like this - we have the Tivoli remote management tool installed.

Anyway, sometimes I goof with my power-on password, and maybe that triggers it.   Experiment time!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 11:16:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd check properties of the drive in "My Computer."  Should have error checking under the tools tab.
Once you log into the network you can't do something usually points to Policy Editor.
You are still in the Admin group on the machine?
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 11:26:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I have no admin privileges.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 3:50:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Try Running 'CHKNTFS' if you have SP6.  Run it against the volume i.e. CHKNTFS C:

This will tell you if the volume is 'dirty' and if Autochek will run.

You can also disable AutoChek with CHKNTFS, I believe.   At work we had a 260gb NTFS volume that got corrupted when it ran out of disk space.  CHKDSK would take close to 20 hours to run so we had to disable it sometimes to prevent down time.

My first guess is you are out of disk space.  When you run out of disk space NT autmatically sets the dirty bit for the volume.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 9:17:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 11:13:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Do you have an external drive attached to it, for example, a Jaz drive or similar?
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 1:06:07 PM EDT
[#9]
It only has a single HD (half free), a CD that I don't use, and a floppy that isn't used much.

I will check out the suggestions and report back.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 4:13:27 PM EDT
[#10]
If the machine is being turned off before the shutdown is complete, it will do that. Never power down until you get the message saying it's safe to turn off the computer. NT machines should always be on a UPS too. A untimely interruption in power can trash your registry pretty seriously. Been there, dun' that.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 7:15:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Has been shut down properly sll the time recently, though a few months ago there was a problem (repotedly a conflict between the Innoculan  virus monitor and the remote management tool) that caused shutdown problems and could have left some baggage in the registry like you describe.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 6:31:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Have you looked and the system event log also?  That night tell you exactly what the problem is.

Also just open a DOS window and run CHKNTFS C:

That will tell you if the Dirty bit is set which causes Autochek to run.

If you want an analysis email me the system event log by exporting it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 7:52:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Is it named event.log?
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 8:12:32 AM EDT
[#14]
You have to export in from the Event Viewer within Administrator tools
start -->Programs-->Admin Tools -->Event Viewer
Go to Log, make sure "System" is checked then chose "save as."
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 11:57:35 AM EDT
[#15]
OK.  Will try this Monday.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top