Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/27/2003 4:27:24 PM EDT
... That the media somehow misses.

Although he was exempt from military service because he was a Circuit Judge in South Carolina at the time, Thurmond volunteered for service on the day the United States declared war against Germany in World War II.

In 1942, he was assigned to the 713th Military Police Battalion which was attatched to the First U.S. Army. His duties included, eecutive officer, assistant provost marshal, assistant G-5 and assistant G-2.

In 1943, Thurmond was attached to the 82nd Airborne Division and trained for glider infantry training, after the First U.S. Army deployed to England for the invasion of France. He participated in Mission ELMIRA, a glider operation conducted in Normandy on D-Day, June 6, 1944. His team reinforced the parachute troops that landed earlier that day. He was 43 when he landed at Normandy with the 82nd.

Thurmond said to this day he is still glad he served his country.

"My experience as an officer in the Army was one of the most challenging, rewarding and worthy endeavors I have ever undertaken during my life," he said. "Although it has been 30 years since I last wore an Army uniform, my love for the service and pride in its heritage remain as strong today as it was when I was commissioned a second lieutenant."

Thurmond was awarded five battle stars and earned 18 decorations, medals and awards for his military service, including the Bronze Star for Valor and the Purple Heart.
more at http://www.dtic.mil/armylink/news/May1999/a19990528thurmond.html

It disgust me how the media only spews what it wants and tries to hide that which it disagrees with.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 4:31:09 PM EDT
[#1]
[usa]
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 4:50:02 PM EDT
[#2]
A greatful nation mourns his passing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top