Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/27/2003 4:02:10 PM EDT
By ROBERT JABLON, Associated Press Writer

BURBANK, Calif. - Arnold Schwarzenegger (news) refuses to terminate rumors of a run for governor while promoting his latest movie, joking that: "You haven't seen special effects like this since the California state budget."

Schwarzenegger's advisers have said he will decide whether to run after the July 2 release of his movie and only if it becomes clear that an effort under way to recall Gov. Gray Davis  will qualify for the ballot.

If voters decide to oust Davis, they would also have to choose a successor.

Schwarzenegger, taping "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno " Thursday at NBC Studios, was introduced to the audience by Leno, his friend and fellow Republican, as "the next governor from the great state of California."

After the taping, the two left for Camp Pendleton in San Diego County, where they surprised 1,300 Marines with an advance screening of "Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines."

Schwarzenegger made the special effects quip to Marines, who gave him a boisterous ovation. He signed the body cast of Staff Sgt. Rick Langille, of Alexandria, Va. The 34-year-old was wounded when an Iraqi land mine blew up under the vehicle he was riding in April 7. "That was pretty cool," Langille said of his autograph.

During "The Tonight Show" taping, Leno suggested campaign slogans for the Austrian-accented actor as "Who better to represent a state where no one speaks English?" and "Not a good enough actor to fool you on taxes."

Schwarzenegger told Leno he is traveling to Iraq (news - web sites) over the Fourth of July to screen his movie for U.S. troops.

"There is no money over there. There's no leadership — pretty much like California," he said.

While Schwarzenegger weighs whether he'll enter the governor's race, one current lawmaker with ties to the actor said he would not support the star.

Sen. Edward M. Kennedy, D-Mass., told the Boston Herald that he'd support the Democratic candidate over the "Terminator 3: The Rise of the Machines" star.

Schwarzenegger is married to Kennedy's niece, broadcast journalist Maria Shriver.

"Listen, Arnold is great," Kennedy said. "And I never argue with Arnold, particularly when he's holding me by my ankles upside-down. But I intend to support the Democrat.

"I'm not sure where Arnold gets his political instincts," he said. "People often say that for Kennedys, it's in the water. Arnold seems to be a staunch Republican, so I've asked Maria to check their plumbing."

Kennedy and Schwarzenegger will get a chance to iron out their differences in person next week. Both plan to attend the annual July 4 picnic at the Kennedy compound in Hyannis, the Herald reported.
For the people trapped in the PRK please oh please oh please!! PG   Next The BIG HOUSE![BD]
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 4:05:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I dont think Leno is a Republican.  I am pretty sure he (and his wife, who is a big women's rights chick) have been Democrat supporters.

I could be wrong though.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 4:10:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Correct me if I am wrong but I didnt know the Kennedy compound was in Iraq. How can Arnie be in both places?
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 4:37:10 PM EDT
[#3]
The time zone difference will allow him to be both places on the fourth. Kidding.

I kinda wondered the same thing.

Link Posted: 6/27/2003 4:45:11 PM EDT
[#4]
If there is one Kennedy who knows about anything being in the water, it is Ted!
[img]http://www.ytedk.com/divingsm.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 7:10:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Jay Leno is about as Republican as Ted Kennedy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top