Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/27/2003 5:16:47 AM EDT
[url]http://www.cnn.com/2003/BUSINESS/06/26/australia.metalstorm/index.html[/url]

[img]http://i.cnn.net/cnn/2003/BUSINESS/06/26/australia.metalstorm/story.metal.storm.fire.jpg[/img]

BRISBANE, Australia (CNN) -- Imagine a gun that fires a million rounds a minute -- enough to shred a target in a blink of an eye, or throw up a defensive wall against an incoming missile.

This is Metal Storm, a weapons system that forsakes old-style mechanics for the speed of electronics.

Its inventor is Mike O'Dwyer, a one-time grocer in the Australian city of Brisbane. He's spent 30 years and much of his own money to develop the technology.

Now, finally, the doors are opening for him at the Pentagon, the U.S. Defense Department's headquarters.

O'Dwyer says that the real value comes from Metal Storm's electronic capability to deliver rates of fire and different types of projectiles very precisely.

The weapons range from a handgun that can only be operated by an authorized user to a grenade launcher that can fire either lethal or non-lethal ammunition.

While much of the technology is a closely guarded secret, the firing mechanism has no moving parts. Instead, it uses electronic ballistics technology. Unlike other guns, the only parts which move are the bullets.

[b]The Metal Storm handgun employs electronic locking, which can limit firing access and stop unauthorized use. It can even be programmed not to fire within, say, the grounds of a school.[/b]
[img]http://www.metalstorm.com/12_odwyervle/what_is_images/reloading.jpg[/img]

Its grenade launcher can give the same defensive security as a minefield, but without physically putting any explosives in the area being guarded. Instead, sensors can alert an operator to any intrusion. The operator can then decide whether to use lethal or non-lethal grenades to warn off -- or destroy -- the intruder.

O'Dwyer is a passionate advocate of applying technology to modern warfare and the rise of networking in defense thinking.

A 16-pod grenade launcher -- one of the Metal Storm range.  
"Where network-centric warfare is going is moving the principal systems of weapons from the big, heavy, slow stuff to the small, light, fast, inexpensive (weapons), many of (which) -- and here's the important part -- is very smart."

It's this promise of speed and flexibility that has got the American and Australian military to commit $60 million in research and development funding for O'Dwyer's array of weapons.

Metal Storm started in a small Brisbane workshop, where all the prototypes have been built.

Increasingly, the project looks to the United States, where most of its staff are now based and where it hopes to clinch sales to defense agencies and police forces next year.

Going global has been in O'Dwyer's sights for many years. It's a target that gets a little larger and a little closer every day.

[url]http://www.metalstorm.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 5:29:10 AM EDT
[#1]
WOW, 60 seconds of firing is more than most of us will ever shoot in a life time! What does the goberment pay for 1 million rounds of what ever caliber it shoots? Cause, there goes our tax cut.[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 5:32:08 AM EDT
[#2]
It's quite a concept, but imagine trying to feed something that shoots at that rate.  I wonder how thay manage the heating of the barrels?
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 5:32:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Looking at their website, the rounds are "stacked" in the barrel.

[img]http://www.metalstorm.com/10_technology/technology_images/vle045.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.metalstorm.com/10_technology/technology_images/storm.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 6/27/2003 5:38:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Why does this thing seem to come up ever so often for the past 3 or 4 years like its something "new" ?
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 5:38:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Metal Storm's technology achieves its unparalleled performance through the concept of numerous bullets stacked in a barrel, with each bullet separated by a propellant load, such that the leading propellant can be reliably ignited to fire the bullet, without the resulting high pressure and temperature causing unplanned blowby ignition of the trailing propellant load, and without collapse of the projectile column in the barrel.

This unique concept has been accomplished through the invention of a bullet which on the one hand expands and locks in the barrel in response to high pressure immediately in front of the bullet. As a consequence, each bullet in turn can be fired in sequence from the barrel, and an individual barrel tube, loaded with numerous rounds and exclusive of any ammunition feed or ejection system, breech opening, or any mechanical operation whatsoever, when provided with an electric priming system is, in effect, a complete weapon.

View Quote
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 5:38:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The weapons range from a handgun that can only be operated by an authorized user to a grenade launcher that can fire either lethal or non-lethal ammunition.
View Quote

So what's new about that?

[b]The Metal Storm handgun employs electronic locking, which can limit firing access and stop unauthorized use. It can even be programmed not to fire within, say, the grounds of a school.[/b]
View Quote

It can even be overridden be technically savvy criminals to limit firing access, say, during a robbery. I just don't like they whole idea of something else other that me being able to determine when I can shoot or not.

Its grenade launcher can give the same defensive security as a minefield, but without physically putting any explosives in the area being guarded. Instead, sensors can alert an operator to any intrusion. The operator can then decide whether to use lethal or non-lethal grenades to warn off -- or destroy -- the intruder.
View Quote

And what is the baddie doing while you're deciding weather or not to use lethal or non-lethal force?
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 6:01:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Why does this thing seem to come up ever so often for the past 3 or 4 years like its something "new" ?
View Quote

[beathorse]

it is cool though
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 6:06:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Probably shoots the bullets at 600 fps.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 6:08:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Oh, dear....

Here come DiFi, Schumer, and the Brady Bunch....
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 6:59:51 AM EDT
[#10]
I don't see how they could possibly maintain any degree of accuracy with that system.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 7:05:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Who needs precision when you have volume?
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 7:15:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Who needs precision when you have volume?
View Quote

Took the words right out of my mouth. Gives spray and pray a whole new meaning.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 9:33:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Yeah, I did a paper on this a couple of months ago.

The rate of fire is so high, that with a 3rd burst, all the rounds are out of the barrel before any recoil is felt.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 9:48:09 AM EDT
[#14]
so it can be programmed not to fire within a school?  wtf?  so you cannot defend a school?  how does it know where it is?  GPS loses a lock easily in a light canopy forest.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 9:50:04 AM EDT
[#15]
oh yeah - supposedly about 13 years ago this guy was going to get ripped off by the USA (they wanted to just "take" the technology from him...)

Didn't the budget get shut down a few years ago for Metalstorm?  They were going to use it for missile defense.

I think the child (unauthorized user) safety crap is worthless.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 9:53:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Cool gun! where can i get one?
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 9:57:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I was thinking that also.

Its not really full-auto since there are no moving parts.  [}:D]
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 11:13:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Its not exactly a gun (IE: title 1, title 2) per se (I think)
It fires more like a muzzleloader(from that pic of the pistol). Caseless ammo that when the first round goes off, the second is set off and so forth.
Seems simple enough to build on your own actually.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 10:54:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I was thinking that also.

Its not really full-auto since there are no moving parts.  [}:D]
View Quote

Yes but you and i know the BATF loves to take away cool fun things!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top