Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/26/2003 1:20:49 PM EDT
Booya.  Dropped by the local gun store under new management.  They had some Enfield MkII No. 4's, which are kind of a rare sight around Anchorage gun stores.  One had both vernier flip up sights and a scope mount, it was $180.  What the hell.  Always wanted one, that was a decent price. Can't wait to try it out [:)]
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 1:35:42 PM EDT
[#1]
One of the coolest bolt guns ever made. Welcome to the club. Great price btw.

Ever seen a 1917 American Enfield?
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 1:43:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Good job. I really like my Longbranches, I have two. Fun to shoot. you should be happy.

CH
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 1:43:59 PM EDT
[#3]
[b]raven[/b]:
Welcome to the club. In no time you'll be working the bolt with your thumb and forefinger, and pulling the trigger with your middle finger. You'll be pleasantly surprised how fast you can operate this rifle. I've been very happy with mine. I still need a bayonet, though. Mine is a Lithgow, 1917 production, SMLE No. 1, Mk. III. I'd like to add a No. 4 Mk. I to my safe soon.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 1:46:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Love 'em. Got 2.
Only old milsurp bolt guns I have any interest in.

Great guns.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 1:51:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Not to hijack too much here, but are the Mk 3's from SOG any good? I was thinking of adding one to the collection.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 1:53:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
One of the coolest bolt guns ever made. Welcome to the club. Great price btw.

Ever seen a 1917 American Enfield?
View Quote

Mine, marked 1/18, is a fantastic shooter!  Shoots sub MOA with reloads in original configuation.  Sights aren't as nice as my 03-A3, but it shoots just as well, even better.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 2:01:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Not to hijack too much here, but are the Mk 3's from SOG any good? I was thinking of adding one to the collection.
View Quote

[b]Gorto:[/b]
Some are, some aren't. If you're lucky, you'll find a dealer that has a few that you can pick over. I'm not so sure about paying extra for "hand select" from SOG. You might quiz the C&R contingent in their forum here.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 2:13:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I got a Fazakerley No5 Mk1 a month ago. It is sweet ! The dealer said it will kick like hell, but compared to my 45/70 the recoil is mild. A very fun rifle...
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 2:32:05 PM EDT
[#9]
The (now retired) instructor of the Oklahoma Highway Patrol countersniper class used to come out first day with an Enfield .303 with a good scope and match ammo and BLOW AWAY everyone else's scores and various departments were sending in their best shooters with everything from Remington 700 varmint rifles clear up to PSG 1's. Just goes to show that newer ain't always better.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 2:44:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The (now retired) instructor of the Oklahoma Highway Patrol countersniper class used to come out first day with an Enfield .303 with a good scope and match ammo and BLOW AWAY everyone else's scores and various departments were sending in their best shooters with everything from Remington 700 varmint rifles clear up to PSG 1's. Just goes to show that newer ain't always better.
View Quote
I got a strange itch to get an Enfield in 303 Brit not too long ago, this doesn't help.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 2:55:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 2:59:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Lee-Enfields- my favorite bolt action military rifle- the best bolt action battle rifle ever. My fave is the Long Lee Enfield- I've a CLLE Mk1*, made originally in Enfield, 1897 (has VR/crown on it) then converted over to charger loading by BSA, 1909. A century old, and it still shoots beautifully. And yes, it is proofed for modern ammo (Mk VII). I am itching to try out the looooong-range volley sights on it (up to 2000 yds, and more...) but there is NOWHERE in NE I can do that!

"Rule .303!"
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 3:02:16 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought my first rifle, a Enfield .303, at Inter-Ordnance in El Monte when I turned 18.I paid 45 dollars for it and also bought a few hundred rds of ammo.

I ended up trading it, which I regret.

I've bought some damn expensive arms in the past that I have sold and forgotten about, but I never forgot that old Enfield.

I will for sure have to scare me up one here soon.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 3:05:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 3:11:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Ok, when I said I'd pay through the nose, I didn't mean THIS much.

[url]http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=9807512[/url]

[url]http://www.gunbroker.com/pixhost/2003-06-08/RT440_1055596179_ESCg.JPG[/url]

Man that's a nice rifle though!
View Quote

Duke, for that particular type of rifle and in its particular shape, that's not too bad a price, esp. in the Northeast. SMLEs and Mk 4s used to go for about $50.00 in MA about 7-8 yrs ago- now they can't be found in reasonably good shape for under $250. They tend to be cheaper in other parts of the country, though.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 4:02:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Welcome to the club!

I have a .308 carbine (Ishapore cut down)
A2 .308 Ishapore
No. 1 Mk III .303
.303 Carbine (No. 1 Mk III) cut down.

Both of the fake carbines are excellent rifles made by Gibbs.

Anyway, I love them all and enjoy shooting them as well.  I shot a pig with the .303 carbine 2 months ago, as a matter of fact.  It (and the .308) is the handiest rifle I have.

Enjoy.  Oh.  I forgot one thing.  Collecting Enfields is addicting.  Don't say I didn't warn you.  [}:)]

-White Horse
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 4:24:05 PM EDT
[#17]
I keep an Ishapor 308 under the seat as a truck gun.
best rifle $124 bucks will buy.
I got a long one as well, but its too purty hanging on the wall with a nice long bayonet.
Lebrew
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 4:42:52 PM EDT
[#18]
[beer]

who made yours?

I've got;

No4MkII (FAZ)
No1MkIII*
2A
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 5:06:34 PM EDT
[#19]
I bought my Dad a No4 MK1 Longbranch but it stays at my house cause he lives in Canada.
Its a nice rifle, I love it. Gotta get one for me.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 8:22:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
[beer]

who made yours?

I've got;

No4MkII (FAZ)
No1MkIII*
2A
View Quote

I dont know what arsenal made it. Markings are

No4MK2(F)
11/54 [PF 330***

There might be more, but the rifle has a scope mount installed on the side of the receiver.

Have to do some research. Anyone know a good Enfield markings reference page?
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 8:26:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Man, yall are making me feel good.

I've got a 1942 Savage property marked No4 MkI and a 1944 Austrailian No1 MkIII.

Paid $69 each, with bayonets.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 8:50:04 PM EDT
[#22]
I've always loved Enfields.  Great history.  Just never ponied up the money for them.  How would you all rate the .303 caliber?  Great?  Ok? So So?
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 8:55:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Man, those (T) guns - telescope - go for serious bucks even by my standards.

I have a few 303's, cool guns all.  My current fav is an ERA P14 with the volley sights intact.  It is in good shape, but I am trying to get it to shoot the groups everyone claims it is capable of.

I have a '55 Fazerkerly #4 mk2 I took out of the wrap.  I put every scratch on it.  I bought it when they were priced the same as dogmeat #1mk3's.  When I went back in a couple weeks they wanted more than double.....I should have bought a few more even then.

I've been eyeballing a .22 trainer, but it is going for about 600 bucks....

The gunshop on Tudor had a few EARLY lees a few years ago - lee metfords and long lees - man, I wish I had a real job back then....

The sorta nice thing is that the old collectors who built thier collections in the 1950's and 60's are kicking off and thier heirs are putting their stuff onthe market.

I used to correspond with an old coot in his 90's who did not want to be one of those guys in a rocking chair singing the blues about parting out his collection to ease his life for his heirs.....Some day some scarce museum quality stuff he owns will be on the market....
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 8:58:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Hell, yeah, the 303 is a great round.  It just takes those silly 311 bullets.

The Brits used to load that stuff hot hot hot.  Fully the equivalent of the 3006 or the 8mm.

Link Posted: 6/26/2003 9:09:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

No4MK2(F)
11/54 [PF 330***
View Quote

the [b](F)[/b] indicates it was made at Fazakerley (a suburb of Liverpool). (same as mine)

you can find some good information here:
[url]http://www.webpages.uidaho.edu/~stratton/en-page.html[/url]

and here:
[url]http://www.geocities.com/lee_enfield_rifles/[/url]
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 9:23:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No4MK2(F)
11/54 [PF 330***
View Quote

the [b](F)[/b] indicates it was made at Fazakerley (a suburb of Liverpool). (same as mine)
View Quote

Thanks.  My gun also had one of these Cad-Technik scope mounts installed

[img]http://www3.sympatico.ca/shooters/ScopeMount003.jpg[/img]

Same price as the other Enfield No4, and it's easy to remove part of the mount so you can use the rear flip-up sights, so I got it.  The rail is too broad to fit any rings I have, though.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 9:53:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I've always loved Enfields.  Great history.  Just never ponied up the money for them.  How would you all rate the .303 caliber?  Great?  Ok? So So?
View Quote

I think it is a great round. Great rifle, worth the money. Nothing cooler than a WWII or WWI vintage rifle that can shoot the nutsack off a gnat.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 6:06:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 6:59:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Swapped around some scope rings already in use, now I have a 4x scope on the rail. I have an unused foam-padded pistol case, and I just stuck the scope and the detachable rail in there for storage/transport.  If it holds zero after repeated attachment/detachment, I'll be soooooo happy [:)]

The bore was dirty and had a lot of copper fouling. I brushed and cleaned the inside, looks much better but still a few streaks of rust.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top