Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/26/2003 1:16:32 PM EDT
I recently got into scuba diving and the guy who runs the dive shop here has offered me a job as a gear techician.  I would have to get certified of course, but I would be servicing and repairing BC's, Regulators, Tanks, etc.  Any of you done something similar?  Good pay?  He says he'll work around my schedule with me going back to school, which is a big plus.  
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 1:33:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not into diving (Yet), but the job he offered you sounds to good to pass up in my opinion[;)]
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 1:40:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't know about what you would make, but I know what shops charge. Say for cleaning up a bc with out integrated air, should take about 15 min at most. They charge about 20-35 bucks depending on the shop. So if you only get half figure you make what 40 bucks an hour for just that. Figure a dive computer, and the regs etc. and it is a chunk of change. We usually service 2 sets of gear at the same place every year and it runs around 150 for just the labor. My guess would be about 2 hours worth of work.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 1:59:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I know they do charge quite a bit, like you were saying.  We haven't discussed pay or anything yet.  I'm gonna take him up on it for sure, I lost my job last Fri. because the higher ups found out I'm going back to school.  Funny how you work around the peons every day and they talk shit about management then one day they decide to "tell on you".  Oh well.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 5:40:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, it will probably be similar to a sales job in that you get paid GREAT when there's business, and next to nothing when there isn't.  But, if the money is good, go for it!

Plus, you can critique the womenz who come in looking for the warm water lycra suits.  "Go try it on and lets see how it looks!"

He He
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top