Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/26/2003 12:51:59 PM EDT
Few details though, its from here:
BAGHDAD, Iraq (June 26) - Bomb and grenade ambushes and hostile fire Thursday killed two American soldiers and two Iraq civilians, signaling increased anti-American resistance in Iraq despite U.S. claims of mopping up opposition. Two American soldiers also were apparently abducted.

In the latest reported attack, a member of a U.S. special operations force was killed and eight were injured Thursday morning by hostile fire southwest of Baghdad, the U.S. military said, giving no further details.

Also Thursday, a bomb exploded on the Baghdad airport road, killing a U.S. soldier and injuring another, the U.S. military said. The road - heavily used by U.S. forces - has been the scene of several attacks using trip wires dangling from overpasses or grenades tossed from bridges.

In another ambush, assailants threw grenades at a U.S. and Iraqi civilian convoy in west Baghdad, killing two Iraqi employees of the national electricity authority, U.S. soldiers and Iraqi police said. The convoy had U.S. Humvees at the front and the back and two Iraqi civilian vehicles in the middle. The victims were traveling in the same car.

The fresh violence came a day after a U.S. Marine was killed while responding to an ambush in which three other Americans were wounded.

A U.S. military spokesman, Maj. William Thurmond, played down this week's violence as a ''spike'' and not a trend. Thurmond said the spate of ambushes could be a response to recent U.S. raids on Baath Party strongholds.

''There have been more attacks recently, but it's probably premature to say this is part of a pattern,'' Thurmond said. ''We've kicked open the nests of some of these bad guys.''

The U.S. military has blamed attacks on isolated remnants of Saddam Hussein's regime and his Sunni followers, claiming there was no organized resistance.

The Arab satellite station Al-Jazeera, however, aired statements Thursday from two previously unknown groups urging assaults on U.S.-led forces in Iraq.

One, by a group calling itself the Mujahedeen of the Victorious Sect, claimed responsibility for recent attacks and promised more. The other, by the Popular Resistance for the Liberation of Iraq, called for ''revenge'' against America.

Al-Jazeera said it could not verify the statements, and U.S. defense officials had no immediate comment.

Meanwhile, Pentagon officials in Washington said Thursday that two American soldiers apparently have been abducted.

The men and their Humvee were stationed at an observation post near the town of Balad, north of Baghdad, when they were noticed missing Wednesday night, according to officials, speaking on condition of anonymity.

A search by Apache attack helicopters was started as soon as they were noticed missing, one official said, declining to say how their absence was noticed.

In a separate incident Thursday, a U.S. Army truck sat smoldering at the side of a highway 20 miles south of Baghdad. People at the scene said it exploded as if struck by a rocket-propelled grenade. There were no immediate reports of casualties.

On Wednesday, ambushers threw grenades from a Baghdad overpass onto a passing convoy of Army Humvees, said Marine Corps Maj. Sean Gibson. There were no serious injuries.

The same day, militants ambushed Marines in Hillah, 45 miles south of Baghdad, wounding three troops. Later, one Marine was killed and two were wounded when their vehicle - part of a quick-reaction force sent in response to the Hillah ambush - rolled over on the road's soft shoulder en route to the scene.

The names of the American and Iraqi victims were not immediately released. The latest killings raised the American death toll to 196 since the start of the war on March 20. At least 20 U.S. soldiers have died as the result of hostile fire since major combat was declared over in May.

On Tuesday, violence in the southern Iraqi town of Majar al-Kabir killed six British soldiers and wounded eight British paratroopers. The British military Thursday blamed the violence involving the paratroopers partly on a misunderstanding over weapons searches.

Maj. Gen. Peter Wall said the violence probably was sparked when British paratroopers entered the town, 180 miles southeast of Baghdad, during a ''routine joint patrol'' with local militias. Townspeople mistakenly thought the patrol was going to search for weapons, he said.

However, Wall offered no explanation for an attack at a town police station later Tuesday, in which six Royal Military Police were killed, some reportedly shot with their own weapons. He said he could not comment on those claims while an investigation continued.

Local people told reporters that violence was triggered by anger over heavy-handed weapons searches in which soldiers used dogs and entered women's bedrooms in defiance of Muslim sensibilities.

In London, British Prime Minister Tony Blair was asked whether it was a sensible tactic to try to disarm a nation where carrying weapons had become part of the culture.

Blair acknowledged that Iraq was in a ''process of transformation,'' but added: ''It is important that it is proper law enforcement authorities that carry weapons and not all the citizens of the country.''

The violence in the town shattered the peace that had reigned in Shiite-dominated southern Iraq since the fall of Saddam. And the casualties marked the heaviest loss under fire for British troops in a single day since the 1991 Gulf War, raising the British death toll in the latest Iraqi conflict to 42.

British forces in Iraq have been reduced to 15,500 from 45,000 during the war; two-thirds of them are ground forces. The United States has brought home some 130,000 troops from the region; 146,000 American forces remain in Iraq.

AP-NY-06-26-03 1535EDT

Copyright 2003 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 1:08:27 PM EDT
[#1]
We're just not killing enough of those little assholes to get their attention.
On to Pakistan, Syria and Iran (for now).
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 1:11:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I would think the abduction of US soldiers would warrant more than a minor blip in an article.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 1:11:45 PM EDT
[#3]
God help them.

If they show up with so much as a scratch, the city should be leveled.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 1:18:26 PM EDT
[#4]
This is how Vietnam II starts.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 1:20:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Maybe we should have simply nuked them and moved on to the next target.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 3:19:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Maybe we should have simply nuked them and moved on to the next target.
View Quote

DITTO
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 3:22:57 PM EDT
[#7]
this is turning into a goddamn mess lets pull the guys out and come home, let the towel heads sort thing out.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 3:28:24 PM EDT
[#8]
GUess there were those who didn't want to be liberated.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 3:43:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 3:56:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
this is turning into a goddamn mess lets pull the guys out and come home, let the towel heads sort thing out.
View Quote

A anti war protester is born. You just dont know it yet.

I remember when I was bashed to hell when I said things like this would happen. I saw this. Well, we are a day late and a dollar short. We screwed up a country and now we cant leave it.

The people who said "we need to go whoop a$$". Dont change your mind now!
GG
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 4:00:14 PM EDT
[#11]
[b]got [red][size=5]MOAB[/size=5][/red] ?????????[/b]
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 4:00:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 4:06:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Am I the only one that thinks they are getting at least military planing support from the Russians?

Iraqis seem to be getting more organized lately.

Just seems like they wanted this to turn into another Vietnam .. and since it didnt ,, here is thier chance,,

Link Posted: 6/26/2003 4:21:32 PM EDT
[#14]
If we went in, then we need to do the job we went in to do.  I say quit pussyfooting about it and do it.  Pulling out now wouldn't accomplish much...I think that's what Clinton would do.  Oh he did already.  
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 4:39:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 5:19:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Just a normal part of "Nation Building", GET USED TO IT!!  [^]
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 5:24:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I heard about this on the news several times today-this is very very bad.

At one briefing an Army (?) officer said he thought they were receiving attacks from "dead enders," old regime supporters who might actually have to work for a living now.

Did anyone see the segment, I think on the CBS Sunday Morning show, where the reporter interviewed a bunch of pretty boy college types who in with the Bathists? They were crying about how crappy the americans were for not having started up their college courses again. Meanwhile as they stood around in kind of dressy casual clothing amercian soldiers were clearing debris and doing other work in the background with heavy machinery. The reporter (amazingly to me) actually commented about the weasels not lifting a single manicured finger to help out the GIs who were doing the work. When the reporter said something they all went on and on about how they would help if asked and then drifted off without doing any work. [:(!]
View Quote

Well, there must be SOME way to blame this on "Bill & Hillary"!!  [ROFL2]
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 5:27:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 5:57:40 PM EDT
[#19]
What's the name of the book?
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 6:36:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 9:41:27 AM EDT
[#21]
they just found them murdered [:(]
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 5:42:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
At some point the gloves have to come off, and we have to fight a serious counterinsurgency war. I'm not talking about refighting Vietnam, but applying the [i][b]lessons learned in Vietnam.[/b][/i] David Hackworth, as much of a blowhard as he's turned into now, wrote a guidebook during Vietnam on how to "out G the G," and I think that ought to be required reading for everyone from Private to General.
View Quote

Isn't he the guy who was bad mouthing several of the soldiers in somalia during 1993 after the raid?
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 6:28:45 PM EDT
[#23]
They were found dead? Is it confirmed they were captured and murdered or were they killed in combat?

Solving this, and then getting revenge against those responsible, should be priority number one for USSOCOM in Iraq. There should be a A-team or SEAL platoon assigned to do nothing else but follow this up.

Everything Hack says should be taken with a entire salt lick, forget the grain. A Army officer not promoted from the ranks who can only make it to Lieutenant Colonel before being forced to retire is not a sterling endorsement.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top