Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/26/2003 8:04:11 AM EDT
I have never in my life seen a crew of county employees so unwilling to do their job in my life. These three cheesedicks seem to have literally come to this country to never have to work again.

I'm pissed because they are automatically paid, their salary comes from property taxes.

Anyway they routinely leave on or more of my garbage cans full for a variety of bullshit reasons.

Once I had 2 tree clippings that protruded about 2" above the rim. I had to walk out, smap them off by hand and wait a week to have my garbage picked up.

Another time I had a broken cinder block in the can. I was informed that it constituted "construction materials" and they refused to take it. I had to remove the broken cinder block and wait a week to have my garbage picked up. I later pulverised the block into dust with a sledge.

Today I had a tree branch in the can. I made sure it did not protrude above the rim and had the lid securly in place. They took the lid off, rolled it halfway to the truck, looked inside and rolled it back. God knows what excuse of a violation they will come up with this time.

These guys spend more time looking for excuses to not do their job than it would take to just do their job. I'm waiting on one of them to one day pull out a tape measure and meansure my garbage for compliance.

I've called in and gotten mostly dismisive replys to my complaints. So anyway, now I'm annoyed and looking for "other" solutions.

Anyone got any ideas?
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 8:09:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Used kitty litter dumped on top of the usual trash the morning they pick up the trash.

See, cats are good for something...[:D]
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 8:09:28 AM EDT
[#2]
They're garbagemen. WTF can you do to them thats worse than that?
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 8:10:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Dead animal, sealed lid garbage can...

Open the lid, and they get a nice whiff of Mr Stinky. Substitute old food for dead cat.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 8:12:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Live skunk?  Dead skunk?  Or hell, even a live opossum will do.  
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 8:12:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 8:13:06 AM EDT
[#6]
I feel for you.  My garbagemen will take anything.  I swear, i think they would take a dead body no questions asked.

-Nuke
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 8:14:52 AM EDT
[#7]
[b]SteyrAUG[/b]:
Do you have a [i]minimum[/i] size of trash can, or a [i]maximum[/i] number of trash cans? If not, you could start putting each piece of trash in an individual can. That way, most of your trash would be collected, and only the particular piece of "offensive" trash would be left behind. I'm thinking about 58, 1-gallon trash cans. With lids. Really tight-fitting lids.

Idea #2: Bees.

Idea #3: Spoiled meat.

Idea #4: Trash compactor + lead bars = very heavy trash.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 8:15:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 8:17:25 AM EDT
[#9]
i brought my guys a 6 pack and tip them good at x-mas, and my garbage men will take a dead hooker in a 50gall drum with her legs sticking out the top, if i put it on the curb.

-----eddited to be funnier----
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 8:20:16 AM EDT
[#10]
I give the garbagemen around here cold drinks on hot days.

I always wave or strike a conversation up with them.

A little bit of good goes a long way...
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 8:22:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Run for garbage commisioner. Like Homer did.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 8:23:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Run for Sanitation Commissioner like Homer Simpson did.

"Animals are crapping in our houses, and we're cleaning it up. Did we LOSE A WAR?"
View Quote

"That's not America!  That's not even Mexico!"
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 8:24:47 AM EDT
[#13]
I hear ya Aug.

They just switched to one of those wheeled carts........the kind where the truck lifts it for them.

Well, I received my new barrel and the city billed me for it. I fill it full of trash 3 weeks ago and they refuse to empty it because the transfer date to this new "system" is July 1st.

Now is smells horrible and is stinking up the whole alley.

Link Posted: 6/26/2003 8:27:36 AM EDT
[#14]
When we cleaned out the garage they took bikes, kerosine heaters, bbq grills, kiddie pools, all kinds of crap. They seem to get a kick out of crushing the big things.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 8:32:23 AM EDT
[#15]
This [b]always[/b] works:

1)Take trash can
2)add one wolverine [img]http://www.jeannieshouse.com/arctic/wolverine/wolverine.jpg[/img]
3) when you see the trash truck coming, smack the shit out of the can.
4)run away.

PS  dont forget the camcorder.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 8:42:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Damn, our garbagemen are great.  We did spring cleaning the week after a party so we had about five green trash bags on top of our usual cans.  Took it all no questions asked.

As for revenge, something juvenile would be to smear crap (your own, of course) on the handles.  The other is to stand outside with a video camera and tape them every time they pick up the trash.  Just smile at them when they look at you.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 8:51:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Run for Sanitation Commissioner like Homer Simpson did.

"Animals are crapping in our houses, and we're cleaning it up. Did we LOSE A WAR?"
View Quote

"That's not America!  That's not even Mexico!"
View Quote

LMFAOTIH. [:D]

I want to avoid the "stinky can" out of respect for my neighbors. I did breifly consider a lot of fish in my diet one week.

The wolverine and tire spikes would be fun but I'm looking to avoid prosecution and need something a little less obvious.

And I started out with the usual Xmas bribery until I started coming home from work a couple years ago to half enptied cans and garbage strewn across my lawn.

These guys are simply lazy and don't care. I'm not gonna pay extra for that.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 8:53:27 AM EDT
[#18]
I remember one day after school (the old days when they had to pick the cans up) and they were chucking them back into peoples yards not even tryin to set them up.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 8:56:39 AM EDT
[#19]
We don't have town trash pick-up. I haul my own trach to the dump I'll take ANYTHING! [:D]

But, about your problem, I agree with making nice with them.  Six-packs of cold bottled water don't cost much, but mean a lot to a guy working outside all the time.

Either that, or do a better job of concealing "bad" garbage.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 9:11:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Watch and learn.

[url]http://216.127.90.17/~admin1/Medium_WMP8/Garbage_Truck.wmv[/url]
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 9:25:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Setup-
Get a 1/16" drill bit & drill out.
drill tiny holes all up and down your can. Make sure you wouldn't notice them unless you looked carefully.
Make sure all your trash is in bags inside the can.
Get out a gallon of white vinegar, and pour it into the bottom of the can, careful not to make it go so high as to leak out of one or more of the tiny holes you have just made.

Aftermath-
Make sure you purchase a can identical to the one you have poked holes in.
Replace the holy-can with the new one.
Throw the holy can away in a garbage bin at Wal-Mart or some place like that.
Contact your attorney, these garbage men seem like assholes.

-UHLEK-
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 9:29:19 AM EDT
[#22]
I'd go for the wolverine, excecpt they're not generally available in FL, so a possum would be a good idea.  Or maybe trap a feral cat and put it in there.  They don't like people.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 9:30:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I feel for you.  My garbagemen will take anything.  I swear, i think they would take a dead body no questions asked.

-Nuke
View Quote

Sometime soon remind me to post a thread telling the tale of the time I put a mannequin in a body bag and left it with my neighbors trash as a payback for putting a fish on my catalytic converter!

OTOH, remind me to tell you about the score I settled with the mailman many years ago by putting a #40 pissed off tomcat in a mailbox and leaving the flag up!!!!
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 9:31:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Watch and learn.

[url]http://216.127.90.17/~admin1/Medium_WMP8/Garbage_Truck.wmv[/url]
View Quote

schweet!
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 9:33:37 AM EDT
[#25]
What does white vinigar do?
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 9:36:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
What does white vinigar do?
View Quote

Aug,
I believe the trick is that it is hard to wash off of your body.............and somewhat offensive to humans.

It will drip down the garbageman's arm and chest as he lifts the barrels.

Then you have to go the rest of the day smelling "pickeled".
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 9:40:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Pour some Korean Kimchi into an open plastic bag and set it inside one of your garbage can (w lid closed) on a hot garbage day pickup. They'll thank you for the smell, when they pop the lid open. ;)

Back a few years ago, when they use to manually handle the trash, they would take anything. I would also leave out beer for them in a paper bag for them (extras from a party). Those were the good old days.

Now with the robotic arm garbage trucks, they are way more picky.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 9:48:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 9:50:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
i brought my guys a 6 pack and tip them good a x-mas, my garbage men will take a dead hooker in a 50gall drum if i put it on the curb.
View Quote

Oh man! That cracked me up!!
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 9:59:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 10:03:19 AM EDT
[#31]
where i live during the week they won't take it if the lid is not COMPLETELY closed (not even 1" high).   my retired uncle watched the men one day walk up the driveway of his 85 year old widow neighbor, the lid was 1" from closing, they walked all of the way back to the truck and got a yellow sticker and walked all of the way back to the dumpster cart and placed the sticker on it.   why didn't they dump her cart then inform her next time to be more careful.   i understand that the citizens are so enraged here they are sending representatives to the next county commisioners meeting to try to resole this.   my brother put some leaves out at the road one time in hefty black yard bags.  they yellow stickered him and told him to go to one of the local stores and purchase a special yard bag to put leaves and small sticks.

ps   i live in a small community with the big green dumpsters out in the county so i can through anything in it (except something like a refrigerator with freon)
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 10:22:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
tip the guys with a 24 pakc of beer every christmas like i do.  Never had any problems with any items that were questionable like stuff that could be recycled or "construction" materials
View Quote

Same here. We leave bottles of wine for the maillady, sixpacks for the trash and recycling guys (two separate crews), and on hot days, my kids bring out bottles of water to them- a little consideration goes a long way. Most people treat them like dirt on the floor, just because they do society's cleanup and delivery.

Did it ever occur to people that, while we may look at them as merely garbage collectors, they might look simultaneously down on us as garbage [i]producers[/i]?.....
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 10:29:53 AM EDT
[#33]
Vote for GORE! those lazy Garbage men will be screwed (like everybody else)

I guess you already considered an exploding bag of human Feeces?  

On second thought, prolly a bad idea, might be considered illegal in some jurisdictions.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 10:40:06 AM EDT
[#34]

Stand right next to your garbage can and videotape their every move.

Nothing pisses off a municipal worker more than being videotaped.

Maybe if he gets real pissed and does something stupid you can catch it on tape. Just don't get in their way - you'll be charged with "obstructing a county asshole on the job" or something.

Link Posted: 6/26/2003 10:47:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Set a camera(not video) on a tripod viewing the garbage area. Park your car right next the cans blocking the view of the actual cans. Place power tool or item of your choice on the can lid. Take pictures of him with your item in his hands. That afternoon call the garbage company and tell them that the driver took a said item from your cars back seat. You started to call the police but thought you would give the company a chance to fix the situation before you contacted the police.

I am not suggesting anyone do this. More just providing good reading material.
CH

Link Posted: 6/26/2003 10:48:05 AM EDT
[#36]
I had three dead squid (bait) on top of my trash this morning.  They've been dead since Saturday.  I could STILL smell them when I was driving two blocks behind the garbage truck.  MMMmmm.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 10:50:07 AM EDT
[#37]
I'm also a firm believer in bribery. I would simply wait for them one day, take the crew leader aside and lay a $20 or case of beer on him with the understanding he'll take care of you. While doing this, record the conversation and have someone video tape it. If the bribe works, fine. If not, play the tape and make him pay you $100, haul anything you want off, and you have him by the balls for the rest of his career as a garbage man.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 10:52:32 AM EDT
[#38]
One more note:
These garbage guys described seem to be lazy and intentionally asses. Not to be confused with the guys that do their jobs and work hard at it.

It doenst matter what the job is, they should be doing it right. I dont give a fuck if its picking up trash or building rockets, do your fucking job right. These dicks seem to be looking hard for reasons not to work. Fuck em!
CH
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 10:55:49 AM EDT
[#39]
Fortunately, we have had the same crews for several years - recycle and garbage.  We took the time to get to know them.  They are all hunters and into firearms and knives.  When they see me in shop they will stop for a visit and ask for advice about guns and knives.  One just bought an AR and another, an AK.  We tip them, take them soft drinks or coffe and make sure that we do not leave any nasty surprises for them.  In return, they take EVERYTHING!  We just did a remodel and they took all of the construction junk, several large trash bags and miscellaneous large junk that did not fit in bag or can, all with no questions asked.  The guys are supposed to track and report customers who put out extra trash so that we can be billed for it.  We have never seen an extra billing.  These guys have saved us a lot of trips to the dump and are truly great guys.  I think I have the same crew as A-nus.[:D]
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 10:56:20 AM EDT
[#40]
A word of warning though: Those people have access to unlimited amounts of garbage, and they know where you live.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 11:04:43 AM EDT
[#41]
Video tape them not doing their jobs and send copies of the tape to their supervisors, the county commission, anyone and everyone.

CJ
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 11:06:05 AM EDT
[#42]
I have no idea what you guys are talking about.  (OK, being facetious, I used to know, when I lived in NJ).  Actually, it is another illustration of what happens with government and political involvement.  I live in an unincorporated area of the county, meaning I have to have private collection..  The guys I have are great (If you live in Pinellas County, it's "County Recycling"+).  Sure if there's a lot extra (sometimes I've gone a bit nuts with shrub and tree trimmings) a few extra $'s go a long way, and I'd expect to do that.  And, I gladly go out with a few cold Cokes (the stuff in the red can, no jokes guys) once in a while.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 11:22:54 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
One more note:
These garbage guys described seem to be lazy and intentionally asses. Not to be confused with the guys that do their jobs and work hard at it.

It doenst matter what the job is, they should be doing it right. I dont give a fuck if its picking up trash or building rockets, do your fucking job right. These dicks seem to be looking hard for reasons not to work. Fuck em!
CH
View Quote

YUP, and that is why bribery won't work.

Furthermore what kind of shit is paying extra for someone to "do their job"?

They are already paid and have a better benefit plan than I do.

Besides bribing officials violates the Samurai code according to Asano. [;)]
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 11:24:24 AM EDT
[#44]
sanitation engineer?

People who man locomotives and muscle garbage have [b]no[/b] entitlement to the term "Engineer".

I suppose I should refer to my Mailman as "Special Agent Bobby".
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 11:31:00 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 11:32:10 AM EDT
[#46]
I hate to tell yall, but anything involving an offensive smell isn't going to phase these guys.

They ARE garbage men. Have you ever smelled the back of that truck that they spend 8 hours a day on? There isn't a smell around as bad as what they deal with everyday.

I think I would go with bribery, like some elax treats or something along those lines. I think the garbage man would have a tough time getting through the day with the shits.

Of course I wouldn't seriously mess with the trashmen this is just meaningless internet drivel.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 11:45:52 AM EDT
[#47]
TANNERITE!
Or something similar
Put it in a large crushable jar/can in a neighbors trash (just to be safer), and when the compactor in the truck is activated, BANG!
Not enough to cause any major damage or kill someone, but enough to make him deficate [:D]
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 11:50:18 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
TANNERITE!
Or something similar
Put it in a large crushable jar/can in a neighbors trash (just to be safer), and when the compactor in the truck is activated, BANG!
Not enough to cause any major damage or kill someone, but enough to make him deficate [:D]
View Quote

That would never set off a charge of Tannerite.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 11:54:05 AM EDT
[#49]
I used to have trouble with my garbage guy....then took to trying to be nice to him....some cold drinks, a 6 pack, etc....it worked wonders!  Now, he'll take anything I put out---all the crap we're supposed to (by state law) recycle, etc.----it doesn't matter, he'll take it all.  I swear, I could probably put half of Love Canal out on garbage day-----now---because of being half nice to him----he'd take it!!
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 12:39:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Now they decided that the trash men [b]won't[/b] pick a can bigger then 32 gallons?? Now I have to buy a new trash can?? Fvck em. They can pick up 31 gallons of water every week from now on.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top