Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/25/2003 6:27:46 PM EDT
I think thats how you spell it. anyhow i took it and my recruiter was saying I did good I got a 80 but what does that mean?
what jobs am I entitled to? he is pushing for armor, probably needs to fill that position.

and whats the average score for this test
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 6:31:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Look for something you want to do, not what he recommends, he is pushing to fill billets.  On the old test 80 was very good and you could get a decent job.  Shorter schools and lower scores mean you get to work with stupider people.

Think about what you want to do, not what the recruiter wants to sell you.  Armor did have a good time in Iraq.  

Link Posted: 6/25/2003 6:39:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 6:41:19 PM EDT
[#3]
no I just showed up and then about 10minutes later i was taking the test.

didn't even know what it was.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 6:43:05 PM EDT
[#4]
as already mentioned.. and the best advice...

DO WHAT [b]YOU[/b] WANT TO DO!!!!!!!!!

you are the one who has to do the time.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 6:47:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 6:47:38 PM EDT
[#6]
what can I do in the army or marines with that score?
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 6:51:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 6:58:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Well in my experience with the ASVAB.....

I got a 99!!!! [:P]

Sorry I'm just so proud of that [:)]

The only reward I got? A handshake from a flyboy [;)]

I've talked to a recruiter and he said with a score like that I'm guaranteed a spot in Airborne School and I can pick my first duty station. With a score like yours you will probably get similar advantages.

Good luck
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 7:04:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Be sure to ask the recruiter about bonuses that are tagged to different jobs.  Some of the bonuses are rather large...

My suggesstion would be aviation.  Where else do you get paid to fly around and blow shit up?

Ask about being a crewchief if you want a kickass job with skills that can be used in civilian aviation as well...

If you get the bug for flying and decide you want to be a pilot, you can always become a Warrant Officer, or go after a commission.

Just figure out what you want to do and go with it...
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 7:11:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 7:20:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Basically if you graduated from high school you can show up without warning and slam dunk this test.

See Elads score.

Remember a LOT of people cant pass this tests. use that to your advantage.

Find out what your options are and YOU decide. Get it in writing. Your recruiter will never pick something you want.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 7:38:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:14:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Basically if you graduated from high school you can show up without warning and slam dunk this test.

See Elads score.

Remember a LOT of people cant pass this tests. use that to your advantage.

Find out what your options are and YOU decide. Get it in writing. Your recruiter will never pick something you want.
View Quote

People fail the ASVAB?  thats pretty pathetic
View Quote

I agree if you fail that you should be wearing a helmet!
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:37:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Sorry to steal the limelight, but im joining up too and had a couple questions. First off, I made a 93 on the ASVAB and I want to join the Navy. To be more precise I want to get the SEAL Challenge thing because I want nothing more than to be a SEAL. I have heard from a couple sources though that you can get into the SEALs through the MARINES though. Is this true? If it is I really wanna do that because MARINE boot is way tougher than NAVY boot im sure. But if not thats fine, I'm just curious if I do go NAVY what MOS should I pick? For SEALs you have to have one of only a certain few but I want something cool to fall back on if a don't make the SEALs. Not sure what the abbreviations stand for but here goes:AB, AO, AW, BM, EM, EN, GM, HM, HT, IC, MM, MR, OS, PH, PN, PR, QM, RM, SK, SM, STG, TM, AIRMAN, FIREMAN, SEAMEN. Im interested in Gunners Mate. Is this one of the lesser (intelligence wise) MOS's and will I handle alot of small arms? My recruiter said I would be the guy taking care of the armory onboard the ships. Is that true? Any input would be greatly appreciated because so far my recruiter hasn't been all that helpful. I think its because I have a metal plate in my wrist and I already have to get some sort of waiver, I think its called a BEUMED waiver. Also will having this waiver hurt my chances of getting into the SEALs even if I do well on the SEAL PST? Once again thanks for the input and sorry for chiming in but I need the help.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:59:05 PM EDT
[#15]
[I]I was a detailed Army Recruiter around ten years ago.[/I]

ASVAB is the test itself.

The AFQT score is from 1-99, and is used to determine the mental category that you’re in.  We were looking for 50 and above, or “3A”.  

[b]The AFQT is used to determine your initial eligibility, and nothing more.[/b]  

Also, it didn't matter to us what AFQT score you had, as long as it was 50 or above.  It's your line scores that matter, once you've qualified to enlist.  

[I]The lowest AFQT score I’ve ever seen on the ASVAB was a 4, and that was a High School graduate (California).  I could give my two year old a crayon and the test, and she could score higher than a 4.[/i]

Once it’s determined by your AFQT that you’re qualified to enlist, your individual line scores (SC, CO, EL, MM, etc.) are used to figure out what particular job is for you.

After you’ve enlisted, it’s your GT score that follows you.  The AFQT is long gone.

Recruiters don't get commissions, they primarily get "points" toward uniform badges.  

The MOS that they mention probably get them additional points if they get someone to enlist in that field.  

If you're not particular about what job you do (and many guys aren't), then there's a good reason why he might be mentioning it.

There’s tons more details which I’m sure will be noted in subsequent replies.  What I’ve posted should give you a rough idea of what’s going on.

Chris
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 9:01:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 9:20:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Gogi,

Not sure about Marines becoming Seals but the rating designations are easily found on a google search.

AO is me, Aviation Ordnanceman, we load and unload, arm, and service bombs, missles, torpedoes, mines, pyrotecnics, aircraft guns and maintain aircraft weapon delivery systems.

Do not join as an undesignated Striker.  That is Navy slang for do whatever they need you to do at that time Sailor.  They will sell it to you as "A great way to find out what it is you are suited for while earning a great pay and traveling the world".  Interpret it as I'm fucked!

I'm no recruiter and no expert in the various jobs in the Navy but a few that I have known.  Gunnersmate isn't bad from the ones I've known.  HT(Hull Technitian)  is belovedly called "Turd Chaser" in the Navy don't know much about it but doesn't sound like much more than a glorified plumber or pipe fitter.  Just understand almost every thing in the Navy has some derogatory nickname so don't read into them that much.  AB is Aviation Boatswainsmate.  There are several subcategories to this such as ABF ie. Aviation Boatswainsmate Fuels.  AW(Aviation Warefare Operator) is a very cool billet.  You will become an Aircrewman and will operate airborn anti-submarine and surface systems.  You could fly on a P-3, S-3 various helos, serve as a SAR(search and rescue) person, it is a cool gig.  It used to be called Anti-Submarine Warfare Operator but the Navy has condensed a lot of ratings.

The recruiter should be able to provide you with a booklet that explains all the different jobs the Navy has to offer.  

Not much but hope it helps.  
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 9:28:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Sorry to steal the limelight, but im joining up too and had a couple questions. First off, I made a 93 on the ASVAB and I want to join the Navy. To be more precise I want to get the SEAL Challenge thing because I want nothing more than to be a SEAL. I have heard from a couple sources though that you can get into the SEALs through the MARINES though. Is this true? If it is I really wanna do that because MARINE boot is way tougher than NAVY boot im sure. But if not thats fine, I'm just curious if I do go NAVY what MOS should I pick? For SEALs you have to have one of only a certain few but I want something cool to fall back on if a don't make the SEALs. Not sure what the abbreviations stand for but here goes:AB, AO, AW, BM, EM, EN, GM, HM, HT, IC, MM, MR, OS, PH, PN, PR, QM, RM, SK, SM, STG, TM, AIRMAN, FIREMAN, SEAMEN. Im interested in Gunners Mate. Is this one of the lesser (intelligence wise) MOS's and will I handle alot of small arms? My recruiter said I would be the guy taking care of the armory onboard the ships. Is that true? Any input would be greatly appreciated because so far my recruiter hasn't been all that helpful. I think its because I have a metal plate in my wrist and I already have to get some sort of waiver, I think its called a BEUMED waiver. Also will having this waiver hurt my chances of getting into the SEALs even if I do well on the SEAL PST? Once again thanks for the input and sorry for chiming in but I need the help.
View Quote

Make sure you can do the SEAL PFT with flawless form before you go to recruit training.  

If you want the most options if becoming a SEAL doesn't work out...than I reccomend selecting HM (Hospital Corpsman) as a rating.  This will allow you to work in EVERY aspect of the Navy.  Diving, Rescue Swimmer, SEALs, Fleet Marine Force Corpsman.  Furthermore...as you get older and the body gets tired... if you decide to make it a career...the HM field can let you track into some fairly rigorous academic schools.

I started out as a Hospital Corpsman and by using the educational opportunities in the fleet I got an education, commission and presently get to fly jets of aircraft carriers.

Do as much research as you can and feel free to ask me any questions.

Travis

Edited to add:  The plate in your wrist will require the BUMED (bureau of medicine) waiver for your enlistment to guarantee that it will not affect your normal duties.  To get into SEALs you have to pass a much more rigid Dive Physical...I'm not sure what they can or cannot waive for diving.  Make sure this question is answered before signing anything...

Link Posted: 6/25/2003 9:29:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

[I]The lowest AFQT score I’ve ever seen on the ASVAB was a 4, and that was a High School graduate (California).  I could give my two year old a crayon and the test, and she could score higher than a 4.[/i]
View Quote

My mistake. I meant legitimately graduated from High School, not just showing up to have one given out to you in Kali where we are all, thankfully equal, regardless of actual merits.[;)]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 9:53:21 PM EDT
[#20]
The last hard figure I saw showed High School grads having a failure rate on the ASVAB of about 40%.  This is regarding failure as an AFQT below 31.

A substantial portion of college students and college grads that begin to apply for officer commissioning programs cannot make even a minimum  enlisted qualifying score on the AFQT.

The test may seem easy to many, it did to me too, but it is actually a fairly sophisticated diagnostic tool.  The last few years the diagnosis it's been turning up is that Americans are dumber than shit.

Link Posted: 6/25/2003 11:18:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 11:48:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Navy Ratings (Rates)= job classifications, Ranks is pay grade.

On the whole Rates beginning with A are Aviation, C Seabees, S supply rates, etc.  There have been a lot of changes lately.

go for the rate you want even if you have to delay.  As noted your recruiter gets attaboys for filling undermanned rates.  

It's extremely unlikely a Marine can become a Seal.  That said it might be possible in certain circumstances for a Marine to go to BUDS School (Basic Underwater Demoliton/Seal)  first step for SEAL, UDT and a few others. But he'll go back to the Marines. SEAL is not a Rate You are an HM (Hospitalman) ET (Electronics Technician) assigned to the SEALS.

GM - Gunners Mates Used to be GM GMG GMM Gunners Mates, Gunners Mate Guns, Gunners Mate Missiles.    Depending on the ship a GMM might not ever touch a firearm except as a sentry.  GM or GMG got a lot of gun time. In the Aviation Community AO's Aviation Ordnancemen used to be the Gun guys.

IF IT ISN'T WRITTEN ON THE CONTRACT YOU AREN'T GUARANTEED.  NO VERBAL PROMISES.

Non-designated Strikers get the crummy jobs.  You are non-desgnated coming out of Boot Camp if you didn't get a guaraanteed rate, flunked Tech School, medicaled out of school.  That said being a Seaman in a Deck Division can be fun.  Real sailorman hairy chested stuff.  You run the small craft, underway replenishment rigs, anchor  and mooring details.  Stand bridge watches as Helm (steerer) Lee Helm (work the engine order telegraph - boring on long trips) lookouts, etc.    Paint, scrape paint, chip paint, repaint.

Realistically, if you have metal in your wrist I doubt you will get a BuMED waiver for SEAL training.  Don't join in expectation of getting a waiver.

I got to Long Beach, San Diego, Seattle, San Francisco, Pearl Harbor, Papeete, Rarotonga, Christchurch, Wellington, Sydney, Cairns, Port Moresby, Guadalcanal, Nauru, Suva Fiji, Apia Western Samoa, Guam, Philippines, Japan, Korea,   Hong Kong, Bangkok, etc.  Then there are guys that never get out of the states.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 5:35:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Well I took the test the beginning of my Junior year. In my opinion any high school graduate [b]should[/b] "slam dunk" the test.

The truth is in our society today many people don't. I know the national average for Juniors taking the ASVAB was in the 30-40 range.

Pretty crazy when you think about it.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 7:06:47 AM EDT
[#24]
The funny thing about the ASVAB which most people don't realize is that its not an intelligence exam...its a measure of a persons potential to do a certain type of job well.  

People that spent time in school doing vocational skills like, metal shop etc will have a better Mechanical Score based on their experience.  However the same person might not be very good at organizing a chart of numbers and get a very low Clerical score.

I did well on the test originally and the Navy was drooling to try and get me to become a HT (Hull Technician...aka WELDER) with a guaranteed C school (so I could weld on nuke ships).  Anyway...at the time I was already working as a welder and wanted to try something new.

I enlisted as an HM with intentions of becoming a SEAL.  1/4 of my HM classmates were destined for BUDs and they were all in much better shape than myself...and I didn't particularly like any of these guys so I pursued a different track.

Last I heard only 1 made it of the 12 guys that were in my class.  One of the guys that dropped went over to become a Dive Med Tech and the others probably went with the Marines as a FMF field corpsman.  (Most people don't know the Marines don't have their own medical personnel...)    
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 7:15:12 AM EDT
[#25]
The only part of the ASVAB I got lower than 90 on was the mechanical ability. Our Nat'l Guard teacher gave us extra credit for taking it.  Some bastards got under 50 total average. Not smart enough for infantry. One of them was a white guy who seemed perfectly normal and average to me. It blew my mind. He plays in a rock band now.

I heard that you're tested against those you take the test with.  So get tested in the recruiting center nearest to the ghetto.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 7:38:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 8:04:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, there are a lot of moron Gunner's Mates.  If you go GM, and if they are offering C schools when you are picking orders in A school, say yes.  I didn't when I went through A school, I was so sick of the command environment(training command), that I couldn't stand another 3-4 months of the shit.  

If you don't make it through BUDS, and go to a ship(DDG,CG,FFG) without an NEC, you'll work in the armory and with the 5"(76mm on an FFG) gun guys.  You might get lucky and get sent to the VLS work center.  If they give you the choice, take it.

You'll have no problem with GM "A" or any of the "C" schools after that with a 93 on your ASVAB.

If you can handle being treated like dog shit for a year or 2, then join as a Seaman, and take the test for BM when you're eligible.  

It's been said before, and is the most important thing-Get it in writing!  

Any other questions feel free to e-mail or IM me.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 8:15:21 AM EDT
[#28]
The ASVAB measures your aptitude in four areas:

Administrative
Electronic
General
Mechanical

The Air Force uses your scores to determine your eligiblity for jobs.  The higher your score in a particular area, the better your chances of qualifying for a decent job.

There is no single digit score awarded overall for the ASVAB.  The scores are listed as:
A-98, E-98, G-99, M-96 (for example).

The score you were quoted by your recuiter is probably your Armed Forces Classification Test (AFCT) score.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 9:36:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top