Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/25/2003 5:28:54 PM EDT
I've been riding since '74, and currently ride a Honda Shadow VT1100.
When on the road and approaching another mc rider do you initiate or only respond to the "MC friendship wave"?
I'm kind of a shy guy, I never initiate but always respond.
Also I've noticed that the rice-rockets(not meant to be deragatory) never seem to wave to cruisers (and vice-versa), do you rice-rocket guys acknowledge each other on the road?
Cruiser to cruiser, I'm quite surprised that only the hard-core pony-tailed tattooed HD drivers(absolutely no offense is meant here) are the only ones that don't ofer a wave to the jap cruisers, most of the HD riders I've passed always offer a wave to me and my ride (no derogatory HD vs Jap please, I think HD's are great!).
Sometimes I wonder what sort of conspiracy the 4wheels behind us must think??

Jeeze, I just proofed my thread - seems I spent more bandwidth trying to prevent a pissin' contest then offering my question....
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 5:42:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 5:45:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Riding since 1969. I'm a waver.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 5:47:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 5:49:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I wave to cruisers all the time, have had a few wave back, mostly from non-HDrs.  Have only had one HD wave first in the last couple of months, and he was one of the 'old hard-core pony-tailed tatooed' riders.  Heck most of the RUB HDers dont even wave to other HDers, let alone anyone else, that I have noticed.

Most crotch-rockets wave, if we have time and arent busy dodging cagers.

Riding a cruiser and waving is alot different than on a crotch rocket.  We actually have weight on our hands and less on our asses.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 5:49:44 PM EDT
[#5]
[wave] hi !
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 6:18:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 6:20:29 PM EDT
[#7]
[wave]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 6:25:27 PM EDT
[#8]
My latest bike was a Kawasaki ZX-6R until I crashed a month ago.  My next will probably be an Aprilia Futura.  I always initiate a wave to anybody on two wheels (motorized anyway).
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 6:30:51 PM EDT
[#9]
HD 94 FXSTC

I wave regardless of what the other guy is riding...and I even use all five fingers.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 6:36:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I just started riding last year. Right away people started giving me "the wave".  I didn't know about the "code" at the time, it just seemed like returning it was the thing to do.  

Of course, the first time I took my hand off of the bar I realized that maybe that was something I should have practiced in the parking lot first...[:I]

I used "the Nod" until I was comfortable with "the Wave".

I'll always give it out, if ya' don't want to return it, that's your choice...I'll enjoy my ride either way...you should enjoy yours...

[:D]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 6:37:11 PM EDT
[#11]
I've ridden for 20+ years, off and on, and have always tried to at least acknowledge other riders on the road. Lately, though, I've spent a lot more windshield time in pickups, and I use the "farmer's salute" to good effect.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 6:42:21 PM EDT
[#12]
1968 Norton Commando
2000 Suzuki SV650

I've been riding since 1998, and yes I do wave.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 6:46:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Been riding since I was 8-9... riding Harleys since I was 22. I'm 45 now. And my question to you is.... What do you want? Everybody to blow you a fucking Kiss???  [:)>] ....LOL
--RR

edited to say... check out my new paint/airbrush.. [url]http://community.webshots.com/photo/78286947/78479085AndpLD[/url]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 6:48:14 PM EDT
[#14]
KLR650 (dual sport type).  Usually I am in full armor:  dirt helmet w/goggles; shin gaurds; forearm/elbow; front & rear torso roost protection in chrome finish.  Cruisers look at me like I'm an alien.  Rocketeers look down their noses.

I just head off road.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 6:50:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Rode a Harley Sporty for years and would waive and ride with any make or model but crotch rockets usually didn't acknowledge me. Then rode a Honda shadow ace "cruiser" for a few years pretty much same as when I rode the sporty. Now I have a 100th Harley Heritage Softail and everyone seems to notice it. I'm a waiver and very rarely do I not get one back. Could be the flashy new bike or maybe people are just getting nicer here. I tend to think, from my experience, people around here pretty much accept anyone. I wouldn't pull into certain bars I frequent on a Jap bike though. I like all my teeth where they are.... in my head.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 7:10:23 PM EDT
[#16]
I ride a naked sport-bike.  No plastic, no windscreen. [B]I can't get cruisers OR racers to wave![/B]  Seriously.  I wave to [I]everbody [/I] and I'm lucky if 10% wave back.  I have been on group rides with racers and noticed that there is a serious bike-snob mentality, we wave to everybody, the cruisers will not wave back.

That's been my experience around Houston.  
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 7:23:21 PM EDT
[#17]
I ride a Harley VRSCA VROD and I'll wave at a moped if they wave at me. Usually I'm so busy trying NOT to get killed by cage drivers that I can't initiate, no offense...
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 7:31:04 PM EDT
[#18]
since 93 and I'm a waver
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 7:47:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 7:58:26 PM EDT
[#20]
I have ridden since the early 80's, and I always wave.  I currently ride a Honda VFR (sport tourer) and wave at cruisers, crotch rockets, even police.  

THe group of people who wave back the least frequently are the cops...

Geoff
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:01:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Been riding for a few years.

Bikeless now, buy I really want another.

I wave to everyone...cruiser, sport bike, whatever.

We ride what we feel most comfy on..and that is what matters.

HEre, it's not uncommon to see a riding group of people riding all kinds of bikes.
What does it matter..in the end..we are all riding!!!
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:40:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:44:16 PM EDT
[#23]
I ride..and wave...

the Harley Riders don't wave back...probably because if they take their hands off the bars the shaking will make them crash.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 9:59:12 PM EDT
[#24]
I wave regardless of what they're riding too. We're all trying to survive on the roads with the cagers another day. I get maybe a 75% return, if the rider sees the wave or nod.

I can understand if traffic or road conditions (twisties) doesn't allow a safe wave or acknowledgement.

I ride a metric cruiser and most HD wave to me. Bike looks more like a custom I guess.

With my bike being a mix between a sports bike and cruiser, I guess I get more waves than what would be expected. As, it seems the SB & HD riders don't know what to make of the bike.

I also wear a full face Shoei (with blue mirrored faceshield) & a colorful nylon padded riding jacket, instead of black leather.

I currently have a Yamaha Road Star Warrior.

[img]http://users.adelphia.net/~redhorse/Warrior/Warrior_L.jpg[/img]

I even caught a wave in progress during one of our rides in San Diego. Shooting blind over the shoulder.
[img]http://users.adelphia.net/~redhorse/images/Pic%20032.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 10:07:39 PM EDT
[#25]
I think the wave / no-wave decision is dictated by local custom. I'm currently a crotch-rocket rider (and have been for the past 16 years), and recently was the sales manager at a mid-sized H-D dealership (and so have logged lots of seat time on all models of H-D, among uncounted dozens of other models of all different brands). I always wave no matter what the other guy is riding. I relocated to Arizona from Maryland in the summer of 1999, and offer the following observations: riders in the mid-Atlantic region were generally "brand-blind" when it came to the "wave" - sportbike, cruiser, H-D, or whatever - it made no difference in either initiating or returning a wave. That was a nice experience. Here in Arizona, however, it's a completely different story ... it's a rare event that any fellow motorcyclists wave to me, and then it's only other sportbike riders. In AZ, if I wave to anybody on a cruiser - and this is especially true for Harley riders - I get NO response ... you'd think I'm invisible! But I've also seen sportbike riders wave at one another, and then ignore someone riding by on a cruiser only seconds later. Yes, there is a palpable "class" distinction in this part of the country. Such puerile behavior from, ostensibly, mature adults!

If a fellow motorcyclist wishes to ignore my friendly hand gesture, I reason that it's his / her prerogative, and I don't let it get under my skin. I'll persist in offering a wave to any motorcyclist that crosses my path. Good relations among riders is a positive thing ,,, there may come a time when your bike strands you on the roadside, and another rider (who might know how to get you up and running) doesn't bother to stop and assist because he / she wouldn't want to be seen fraternizing with you due to your choice of motorcycle brand.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 10:11:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 3:26:02 AM EDT
[#27]
My dad started me on a Honda 50 in the early 70's.  I ride as often as I can and I wave.  I think there are two camps in the HD crowd. One group just loves the ride and the machine, they wave.  The other buy them for the status sysmbol, I don't think as many of those wave.  

I see the crotch rockets wave, but some are so slumped over the bars they can't.  

The first part of this month I did a ride for pediatric brain cancer.  There were a lot of bikes there and everyone walked around and talked about their bikes and had a great time. It was really cool to see that many bikes on the road at one time.  And we raised 58K for a good cause.  The best part was when a young girl who was a cancer survivor said she had no idea that we cared about her.  I usually find that shooters and bikers are good people. Makes me proud to be both!

Ron
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 3:39:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
KLR650 (dual sport type).  Usually I am in full armor:  dirt helmet w/goggles; shin gaurds; forearm/elbow; front & rear torso roost protection in chrome finish.  Cruisers look at me like I'm an alien.  Rocketeers look down their noses.

I just head off road.
View Quote

Same here - 2000 KLR650.  Others don't know what to make of it.  

[b]I wave at everyone.[/b]
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 3:57:14 AM EDT
[#29]
I wave.  Most harleys wave back 50% of rice wave back.  
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 3:58:30 AM EDT
[#30]
i've ridden since 1965.

currently own harleys and an indian. sold my gsxr-1100.

i wave to all.

the brit bikes get a "thumb up", though...it's only right.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 4:05:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I wave regardless of what they're riding too. We're all trying to survive on the roads with the cagers another day. I get maybe a 75% return, if the rider sees the wave or nod.

I can understand if traffic or road conditions (twisties) doesn't allow a safe wave or acknowledgement.

I ride a metric cruiser and most HD wave to me. Bike looks more like a custom I guess.

With my bike being a mix between a sports bike and cruiser, I guess I get more waves than what would be expected. As, it seems the SB & HD riders don't know what to make of the bike.

I also wear a full face Shoei (with blue mirrored faceshield) & a colorful nylon padded riding jacket, instead of black leather.

I currently have a Yamaha Road Star Warrior.

[url]http://users.adelphia.net/~redhorse/Warrior/Warrior_L.jpg[/url]

I even caught a wave in progress during one of our rides in San Diego. Shooting blind over the shoulder.
[url]http://users.adelphia.net/~redhorse/images/Pic%20032.jpg[/url]
View Quote

Damn Redhorse - That is a nice bike!  I want me one of those!  I currently ride a Yamaha VStar 650 Custom but I want to upgrade to the Roadstar Warrior or the BMW R1200C. It's all just a question of money. Of course.

I always wave and usually people wave back.

Damn Redhorse - that is one nice bike!!  I want one of those!!  How much do they cost?
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 4:20:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Low-Left every time, and in this area I'll get a wave back just about every time.  Those that don't wave back don't fall into any single category, and I usually give them the benefit of the doubt.  Maybe they're new, in the middle of a shift or something else, so I always show good-will.

Even waved at a scooter once.  My wife laughed at me....  
[:)]
Scott
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 4:48:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Been riding since the early 80's. Currently have two harleys, and a 69 Triumph in a million pieces...PS I always wave....
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 5:07:27 AM EDT
[#34]
I ride a Kawasaki VN1500 Vulcan Classic.  I wave at everybody on a motorcycle.  If you're on two wheels we have the same people trying to kill us.  That's the great equalizer.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 5:20:55 AM EDT
[#35]
'94 Honda Magna (basically an Interceptor V4 750cc on a cruiser frame - it's fun) - I wave at everybody.  I mean EVERYBODY.  And if they don't reciprocate I bang out a squidly U-turn and follow them to where they live.  A brief description and their address goes into my notebook - just like today, on the way into work…  That's right, John Cochtose, 1751 E. Barron Ln. Bay View, WI…

YOU'RE IN MY BOOK FUCKER!  YOU'LL KNOW TRUE JUSTICE COME THE DAY OF THE ROPE!!!!

Almost everybody in Wisconsin waves.  Also, people from Wisconsin always break out in applause every time the plane they're in lands safely.  We're weird.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 5:31:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 6:05:38 AM EDT
[#37]
Been riding since '85 on and off. Started on a Suzuki GS850, then a Suzuki GS550, Yamaha FZR600?, Yamaha V-Star 650 and finally the Yamaha V-Star 1100. I sold my V-Star 650 to my nieghbors and they were instantly overwelmed by the amount of waves they were getting.(They had never ridden before) I had to explain to them thats what happens when you jion the MC club. They just thought it was the coolest thing, I agree. Here in TN almost everyone waves back, the Harley riders in packs don't.
 My friend just bought the Yamaha Warrior and put some custom pipes on it. That machine is awesome.

To all my fellow riders:

"Keep the rubber side down."
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 6:11:17 AM EDT
[#38]
I’m with Phlegethon, here on the east coast, riders are mostly brand blind.  I ride with mostly sport bikers, but occasionally, we’ll plan a lunch time ride from work on a Friday and will have everything under the sun.  I’ll initiate the wave to everyone on two wheels as long I don’t need both hands at that moment.  I’m trying to change people’s perception of sport bike riders with my wave…one Harley at a time.  Spread the joy I say…

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=9637 [/img]
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 7:42:21 AM EDT
[#39]
I wave. If I don't it's only because I didn't see ya or I'm too busy to take my hands off the handlebar.

2001 Suzuki Intruder "Elsie"1500

[img]http://home.austin.rr.com/patwarren/matt3.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 7:47:18 AM EDT
[#40]
I wave while on my Ducati, some Hogs, especially older ones have attitudes and won't wave unless your on a Harley too.

Link Posted: 6/26/2003 7:51:59 AM EDT
[#41]
I ride a MX bike so, I can't wave.

Almost everybody in Wisconsin waves. Also, people from Wisconsin always break out in applause every time the plane they're in lands safely. We're weird.
View Quote

Funny, and true!
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 7:57:03 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 8:08:22 AM EDT
[#43]
I ride a HD FatBoy and I waive to anyone who has the good sense to ride rather than drive.  Unless I'm using the clutch at the time.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 8:10:40 AM EDT
[#44]
Honda ST1100.  I ride in heavy traffic mostly, I wave when I can.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 8:14:01 AM EDT
[#45]
Another AZ rider here, been on all sizes and brands of bike since 1978, presently on a 2000 VT100 Honda Shadow Sabre.

Usually wave, usually get a wave back.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 8:38:22 AM EDT
[#46]
Been riding since 1977. Usually do around 12-15,000 miles/year.

I generally wave, although it may just me lifting my fingers up from the left handlebar. It gets hard to wave in Boston rush hour traffic, so I often do not have time then.

I don't care what kind of bike it is when I wave.

Here's my rice rocket set up for SPORTtouring
[img]http://mywebpages.comcast.net/emoto1/camp1.gif[/img]

Here's the bike I ride the most.
[img]http://mywebpages.comcast.net/emoto1/P5230005.jpg[/img]

[img]http://mywebpages.comcast.net/emoto1/[email protected][/img]

Oh, and I find more cops respond to the nod than the wave...
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 8:51:31 AM EDT
[#47]
I rode for a few years - and usually just waved back.  HD riders almost always waved - but my bike looked a lot like a HD (from a distance).

Now I have a Jeep and it seems that when you ride with the top off and pass another topless jeep, the driver waves.  And most people wave when they pass each other in a boat around here.
CR
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 9:08:31 AM EDT
[#48]
I wave to everyone on 2 wheels (trikes too - they started out as 2 wheelers) unless I can't take my hand off the bar at that particular moment.  If I can't wave - I will nod to you!  Here on the east coast "the wave" is almost universally returned - with the possible exception of Gold Wing riders (I think they are all too busy listening to their CB's or CD players, lol).

My ride is a 1999 Victory V92c Cruiser - the other "American Motorcycle".
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 9:24:18 AM EDT
[#49]
Yup, always wave and been riding over 30 years.  Back from the '70's through the late '80's, waving was virtually a given, now with so many rubs and squids who don't wave, you can normally tell the riders who have been at it a long time.

I've always ridden Harleys, but I do also ride a KLR.

Hey NGOG and Darealickt..

KLR650 (dual sport type). Usually I am in full armor: dirt helmet w/goggles; shin gaurds; forearm/elbow; front & rear torso roost protection in chrome finish. Cruisers look at me like I'm an alien. Rocketeers look down their noses.

I just head off road.
View Quote

Have you checked out the www.klr650.net site?

It doesn't get much traffic, but alot of good information there.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 2:43:44 PM EDT
[#50]
with the possible exception of Gold Wing riders
View Quote

I can shed some light on that.  I ride the 800 lb sport bike called a Gold Wing GL1800 [:D]

Sometimes I miss returning a wave because I have the cruise control on and my right hand off of the handlebar.   Sometimes it doesn't occur to me to wave back with my right hand instead of the normal wave with the left hand.  Sometimes I do wave back with my right hand, but you might not see it behind the full fairing....
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top