Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/25/2003 4:58:05 PM EDT
At pistol fun night at the club my wife drops a shot at the falling plates with her 357. As we walk down we see the round, when it splatted, got a chipmunk that was under the frame and sliced the belly open.  She is rolling around and a few young come out.

I grab my 1911 to do the right thing.

I was stoked up with Wolf 45 hardball at less than 10 feet.

Each shot made each baby gone, and I mean totally gone. It also made the top half of the mother turn to vapor.

There was not much to bury, and I looked hard. Wow.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 5:05:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Soooooo, you're down on a cold range and you decide to blast baby chipmunks with your pistol (that sounds real safe) and the fact that a .45 caliber bullet "vaporizes" the babies is proof to you that wolf is good ammo. [%|]

Link Posted: 6/25/2003 5:10:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Chipmunks can be pretty dangerous when cornered.  I have some scars from a run in with a Northern Reticulated chipmunk years ago that taught me to always have a minimum of a .357 when in Chipmunk country.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 5:31:58 PM EDT
[#3]
ROs must have been pissed off big time.  Did you get kicked out?
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 5:34:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I love chipmunks.  What's "right" about "vaporizing" the babies????  Dude, you sound like you enjoyed that way too much.  How many animals come out to help their parents in light of humans in the area?  You killed a family.  Feel proud. [pissed]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 5:41:18 PM EDT
[#5]
The Range Officer at my club would have relieved you of your membership.
We have lots of wild life, from herds of deer to flocks of wild turkeys you have to chase to get off the range.
They feel safe because hunting is forbidden.
Oh, and Wolf ammo still sucks.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 5:46:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Thats a pretty fucked up thing
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 6:12:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Chipmunks ain't protected by law. BLAST AWAY!

CRC
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 3:06:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Earth to those who can't read.

[b]The chipmunk was already hit badly.[/b] This is what we call mercy.

For those who cared about safety, I run the fun night and everyone but me was behind the line before I went hot.  Thanks for noting your concerns.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 3:21:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
...and a few young come out.
View Quote

Of what? The mother, or their den?
(Just to clarify flames above)

I completely agree with you on dispatching them. No need to allow for needless suffering.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 3:24:30 AM EDT
[#10]
He killed a wounded animal and it's young that weren't going to survive and you guys gripe about it? Would it have been better to let them suffer and die on their own?

The RO comments are particularly amusing.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 3:35:30 AM EDT
[#11]
it's a fucking CHIPMUNK people!

now...will some moron please start a "are chipmunks people?" thread???

it was a wounded animal, unseen untill discovered wounded!

wth 'should' he have done? picked it up in his arms and hand carried it to the vet? called an ambulance.

either some of you can't read or should join peta.

more bitchers here than at an old ladies' sewing circle.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 3:42:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Has peta gone undercover?
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 3:50:58 AM EDT
[#13]
A quick boot and the whole lot of them would have expired just as humanely. It's obviously your range but 45 hardball into the ground at less than ten feet sounds ridiculous.

Let me know if you're ever shooting next to me...
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 4:05:25 AM EDT
[#14]
this place is infested with peta freaks
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 4:44:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

yep
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 5:18:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

YEP!
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 5:43:16 AM EDT
[#17]
You bastard,
You killed [s]Kenny[/s] The Chipmunks!

[img]http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0783222726.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 6:53:47 AM EDT
[#18]
But What About The Children?! Jesus Christ folks we are talking about chipmunks.....
Lots of sore vaginas on line today....
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 7:04:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

yep
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 7:05:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 7:07:34 AM EDT
[#21]
[img]http://webpages.charter.net/jeff.hoeft/pics/cj_23060.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 7:10:47 AM EDT
[#22]
at least he got to go home safe that night....
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 7:11:16 AM EDT
[#23]
[LOLabove] Man, that is just fucked up!  
Look at how straight that tail is on the one in his right hand!  OMG! AND THE SMELL!
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 9:34:42 AM EDT
[#24]
I love the smell of dead chipmunks in the morning, it smells like...........VICTORY!

[^]
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 10:52:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, just becasue someone would have handles the situation different makes them a "PETA FREAK" [rolleyes]

Get fucking real.
Sound like you have a problem with rational reasoning......maybe your a DU freak?
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 2:49:50 PM EDT
[#26]
BTT, let's get it out in the open.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 2:54:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
it's a fucking CHIPMUNK people!

now...will some moron please start a "are chipmunks people?" thread???
View Quote

moron at your request, new thread started

[:D]
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 3:12:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Sounds like you had a task to do and enough gun to use.  No problemo.  Boots would have been my first choice, but either way.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 3:23:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Sounds like you had a task to do and enough gun to use.  No problemo.  Boots would have been my first choice, but either way.
View Quote

Yep, in this situation, Immediate death to the suffering animal and soon to be starving babies was the correct call. Any way possible, so long as the job got done.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 3:26:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Congrats! You must be a darn good shot to connect with something as small as a chipmunk youngin every shot. I would have used the boot, but only cause my Kimber only holds 7 shots, & would probably miss a target that small & have to go back to get more ammo.
If any one is to blame it's your wife, Why do keep letting women handle firearms?[%|]

(just joking about the last line)
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 3:40:12 PM EDT
[#31]
2 boxes (100 rounds total) every week at fun night from my 1911, and 2 hundred from my 422 makes you a pretty good shot for taking your time---but for some reason I just can't pick up any speed on the events. With the 45 I am running 7ish seconds on the pins with dips into the sixes, and on the plates I am running 16-18 seconds for 10 plates with reload (when I don't have to aim and run in the 20s).

One of the guys shoots threeish with centerfire on the pins, and one guy with a ruger 22 with comp and red dot shoots in the twos a lot.

Last night I only did 50 from the 1911 because it was so hot (as did my wife from her wheelgun), but my wife and I split a federal 22 party pack and cleaned it out.  The old 422 was too hot to hold for a while.

That wolf hardball moves the pins off the table 90% of the time, whereas my reloads with 200 LSWC make it more like 75%.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 3:53:32 PM EDT
[#32]
This is the [b]dumbest[/b] thread I have ever read on AR15.com. And I am just as dumb for posting in it!
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 3:58:32 PM EDT
[#33]
HappyShooter.  
I still wonder if the babies came out of her or the brush.

If her, Stomp 'em all, they have no chance. (stomp 'cause ricorchets sp? are dangerous)

If the bush: stomp her. then throw her little body out of the way, they'll find her and stick around till the daddy shows up and takes custody.

Now I am not a chippy lover but i do have a respect for animals.  Your example was an accident so you got to deal with it humanely.  For chippys though, i like a .22 or an air rifle.  A .45 just seems extreme. (this from a guy who once capped a rouffed grouse with a .45 .185gr lswc.  and yes it was delicious)

Link Posted: 6/26/2003 4:13:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Her, I almost gagged when I realized what the gray moving chunks were.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 4:19:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

In that case. I do agree what you did was humane.  I was under the impression that they were alive and well.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 7:26:38 PM EDT
[#36]

I guess Happyshooter doesent want to answer your repeated questions of wether the babies came from her slit open belly or from the ground.

If you hit pink erasers at 10 feet, your either my hero or maybe I should be raising the BS flag.. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 7:30:20 PM EDT
[#37]
How about he does not know where the hell they came from??

Damn READ THE ACCOUNT!!

The injury to the animal was a fluke!

Link Posted: 6/26/2003 9:28:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
How about he does not know where the hell they came from??

Damn READ THE ACCOUNT!!

The injury to the animal was a fluke!

View Quote

I read the account.. he doesnt specify.. and wont answer the question
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 4:22:22 AM EDT
[#39]
[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 11:09:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Chipmunks are evil, destructive little bastards. Almost as bad as red squirrels. Some of you animal lovers must get your only "animal fix" on the Animal Planet. I shoot every one of the fuzzy little buggers that foolishly step in front of my .22. Woodchucks and other garden-raiding critters also face extreme sanction in the SP10 country spread, if my doggie doesn't crunch them first. Deer get a pass until the season rolls around[:D]

I still have to repair the damage a family of red rodents did in my barn over the winter...
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 11:15:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

I can still envision a "fat" grass snake that scared my wife 2 summers ago. My brave Wirehair Pointer rushed to the rescue, grabed the snake and shook it-hard. "Fat" snake bursts open, throwing baby squigglers in every direction. But don't worry animal lovers, I rushed them right to the vet! Right.

Christ, some of you morons remind me of a little old lady who stopped her car to try and cuddle a rabid raccoon, heaped-up on a roadside, because it looked sick. My friend pulled the old dumb a$$ away before she got chewed so he could shoot and dispose of it properly. True story.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 11:18:15 AM EDT
[#42]
Where do I donate the money?
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 11:31:16 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Where do I donate the money?
View Quote

Please email for particulars on Project "STUPID"..."Snakes Too Ugly Please Instantly Die." Cash, paypal, gun donations gladly accepted.

Please help save these poor baby snakes (chipmunks too!) from all boot heels and Wolf ammo, you EVIL HEARTLESS bastards!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 11:44:08 AM EDT
[#44]
As long as you yelled "THEY'RE COMING RIGHT FOR US!!!" while firing I think you're legally in the clear...

On the other hand, if the chipmunks were not armed and therefore not presenting an imminent threat to bodily harm, you may at the very least be opening yourself up for a 'wrongful death' civil suit by the father and any other immediate family members.  Keep in mind that any deer, birds, rabbits, etc... in the area during the alleged incident are also eligible to sue for emotional damages incurred while witnessing such a 'horrible slaughter.'

Either way, you had better contact a good animal rights attorney immediately.

BTW, thank god those 'babies' are still legally classified as 'unborn chipmunk fetuses' otherwise you'd be facing several counts of felony chipmunk infanticide instead of misdemeanor 'inadvertent chipmunk abortion'.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 1:31:09 PM EDT
[#45]
What the hell made you decide to pop a cap in their a$$e$ with a handgun? If you would have thought and brought your pre-ban AR you could have fixed bayonet and charged. Since I don't have a pre-ban AR I would have had to breakout the Garand and had at it. It is amazing how much respect one gets at the range after being seen bayonetting anything, even a measly charge at the target board.
Earlier this year I was rototilling for the garden. I looked down and what do you know but there I saw most of a baby bunny. Yep, without knowing it I had "chased" down and decapitated a cute and fuzzy baby bunny. Broke my heart..... NOT!!!
I voted for the mercy boot, no need to fire up all that ammo in my opinion but making it clean was the right thing to do.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 3:59:08 PM EDT
[#46]
I hate squirrels, and I don't really know why.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 4:00:31 PM EDT
[#47]
This is exactly why we have a 2nd Ammendment, to protect us from bloodthirsty killers like Happyshooter.

This brings up an important question: Should wounded chipmunks be allowed to own guns?

And what if said chipmunks were convicted felons?

-Nick Viejo.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 8:57:30 PM EDT
[#48]
damn them all to hell

the chipmunks that is.  oh yeah, squirrels and rabbits too.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 9:15:26 PM EDT
[#49]
M4_Aiming_at_U, to be frank, you rationalize like a pussy. I mean, I've seen people who would rather see a human die than an animal. You seem like one of these people, you have to realize that a chipmunk is a soulless creature. Yes, that's right soulless, it has little to live for anyway, and if it is suffering, put it down....hard. Anyway, since you seem to be so against violence, I think you should change your name. I mean, you seem to think killing people is ok (judging by your name), but you think shooting chipmunks is evil? Sir, you suck at life.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 9:42:05 PM EDT
[#50]
I voted the boot.  Either way is reasonable to me.  Shooting from 10 feet away on an outdoor range is enough of an angle that you shouldn't have to worry about ricochet, as long as you watch what's in the background just in case.  Some people don't have it in 'em to crush something alive underfoot, the shooting is a little more impersonal.  This wasn't an enjoyable task, it was pretty much a duty.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top