Link Posted: 6/25/2003 1:57:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 2:05:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Not the "smoking gun" in and of itself.
View Quote
More like a smoking reloading press.

But still it's yet another in a growing body of tangible and significant evidence of Iraq's violations of the Gulf War Cease-Fire Agreement* which is justification enough for our recent march into Baghdad.
* And those UN resolutions we wrote which were unanimously approved by the UN Security Council too.

Link Posted: 6/25/2003 2:14:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Ok so we found a banned uranium enrichment facility, the equipment needed to enrich the uranium and "reactor grade" uranium.

-I don't know why anyone would think this is a "smoking gun." It's not like he actually built a nuke

/sarcasm  

BTW: [url=http://www.msnbc.com/news/931304.asp?0cm=c10]link[/url]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 2:15:13 PM EDT
[#7]
This is a significant smoking gun.  This was specifically banned after the first war, it was also undeclared on the recent list of what they have/don't have.

This IS the proof.  It just doesn't have the ring to it that "anthrax or cyanide gas" have.  I'm always a skeptic, but this is VERY promising.  The US needs to make an example out of this scientist in a HUGE WAY and give him a reward.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 2:31:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Luckily they reportably found Bagdad Bob today.  He should be able to explain this.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 2:40:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The US needs to make an example out of this scientist in a HUGE WAY and give him a reward.
View Quote

Why do you think he's talking?? [:D]
We had plenty of "eye witness's" to WMD's in Iraq, before the war!!!

Where are they all now?

I think this is old news. He buried stuff in his garden, a long time ago, (if this is the same one).
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 3:09:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Yup, Iraq bought TWO gas centrifuges that they were supposed to turn over after Desert Storm and never did.

All Saddam had to do was wait out the sanctions, and once they were dropped for The Children™ he could resume his weapons programs unhindered.

He didn't count on Dubya.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 4:14:43 PM EDT
[#11]
[tom daschle}I'm deeply saddened by this discovery{/tom daschle]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 4:17:38 PM EDT
[#12]
From the above link:

[blue]The sources said U.S. troops also discovered about 300 sacks of castor beans, which are used to make the deadly biological agent ricin, hidden in a warehouse in the town of al-Aziziyah, 50 miles southeast of Baghdad, the capital. The castor beans were inaccurately labeled as fertilizer.[/blue]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 5:21:38 PM EDT
[#13]
[url]http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,90440,00.html[/url]

Here is the link on Fox.

Bilster
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 5:29:00 PM EDT
[#14]
It was only a matter of time.  Our people will find even more in the months to come.

Hey!  Anybody hear about the DNA results on the hamburger....mmmmm hamburger....they found after the air to limo attack?

Bilster
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 5:30:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I think this is old news. He buried stuff in his garden, a long time ago, (if this is the same one).
View Quote

So what if it is old news?  It shows pretty clearly that Saddam was hiding WMD research for future use.  
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 5:35:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Who cares.  

He was a murdering, raping, brutal dictator who had already used poison gas on his enemies (as well as his own subjects).  

He needed to go--if only to send a message to the world in the aftermath of 9/11.  

We did the moral thing in liberating those people--even if they don't appreciate it.  
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 7:20:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
[tom daschle}I'm deeply saddened by this discovery{/tom daschle]
View Quote
[LOLabove] [ROFL2]

Link Posted: 6/25/2003 7:21:10 PM EDT
[#18]
That's not possible.  Sen. John Kerry and Sen. Sheets Byrd both said Iraq had no WMDs.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 7:42:02 PM EDT
[#19]
[banana]

I have been stuck without AM radio for the last two weeks and have been listening to NPR.  I can't wait to hear Carl Castle, Diane Fucking Rheim, and the rest of those sanctimonous cock-suckers talk their way out of this!  

[size=6]NPR[/size=6] [heavy]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:07:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Well,  have been quiet for a long time.  Any idea how many of these centrifuges would be required to make enough bombgrade uranium for one gadget? Thousands is a good guess.  

Yes it is a bad thing, but he would need a hell of a lot more than two of them to produce any serious quantity of fissile material.

[applying asbestos underwear]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:11:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Well,  have been quiet for a long time.  Any idea how many of these centrifuges would be required to make enough bombgrade uranium for one gadget? [red]Thousands is a good guess.  [/red]

Yes it is a bad thing, but he would need a hell of a lot more than two of them to produce any serious quantity of fissile material.

View Quote
Thousands? What do you base that guess on?

Link Posted: 6/25/2003 9:00:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well,  have been quiet for a long time.  Any idea how many of these centrifuges would be required to make enough bombgrade uranium for one gadget? [red]Thousands is a good guess.  [/red]

View Quote
Thousands? What do you base that guess on?

View Quote
His dislike of W?
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 9:07:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 9:12:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 11:17:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 1:41:51 AM EDT
[#26]
The enrichment process is well known. I don't believe that is the issue.

The issue is getting the material, which is what the gas centrifuges are for. And they would need thousands to actually produce anything.

[url]www.exportcontrols.org/centrifuges.html[/url]

All this stuff is BS. Screw the centrifuges, WMD, mobile fermenters, etc. We did what needed to be done and we don't need to validate our actions through the discovery of a rusty centrifuge.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 2:53:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The enrichment process is well known. I don't believe that is the issue.

The issue is getting the material, which is what the gas centrifuges are for. And they would need thousands to actually produce anything.

[url]www.exportcontrols.org/centrifuges.html[/url]

All this stuff is BS. Screw the centrifuges, WMD, mobile fermenters, etc. We did what needed to be done and we don't need to validate our actions through the discovery of a rusty centrifuge.
View Quote

All true.  WMD's are needed mostly to tell the critics to STFU!

[b]HEY!  Sean (Ex Mr Madonna) Penn, look at what was found!  So, STFU!
HEY Ed Assner!  Look at what they found in Iraq!   You can STFU too!
Puff Daschel! STFU!
YOU! THAT'S RIGHT YOU!  STFU and go back to the DU!
YOU TOO!  STFU!  Go back to your news asswipe of a paper!
Not to mention YOU! YEAH YOU!  STFU!  Get back in your overpriced never take it off the road SUV and go pick up those bratty kids at soccer practice![/b]

There is more, but I just don't feel like typing all of them.

As far as I'm concerned, the US was justified to attack from the BS election results in Iraq.  100% turn out and 100% votes for Saddam?  Puh-lease!  The insult to our collective intelligence is enough![x]

Does anyone have any word on the DNA hamburger....mmmmmm hamburger....results?

Bilster
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 3:42:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
From the above link:

[blue]The sources said U.S. troops also discovered about 300 sacks of castor beans, which are used to make the deadly biological agent ricin, hidden in a warehouse in the town of al-Aziziyah, 50 miles southeast of Baghdad, the capital. The castor beans were inaccurately labeled as fertilizer.[/blue]
View Quote

castor beans are also used to make castor oil.  they probably planned to smuggle into American water supplies and make us all take a dump? [:)]
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 3:45:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Correct me if I'm wrong but, doesn't a supercritical mass of U235 weigh about 12 pounds?

Given the 20 to 1 ratio in the link posted, I can't help but think that a working gas centrifuge would process 240 lbs of uranium ore pretty quickly.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 3:48:04 AM EDT
[#30]
how big is this thing anyway?

the size of a bread box, trash can or a trash dumpster?

if it's that small we can find a lot of these things in a country the size of California.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 3:49:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
From the above link:

View Quote

castor beans are also used to make castor oil.  they probably planned to smuggle into American water supplies and make us all take a dump? [:)]
View Quote

Yep, a big fat terminal dump.
[url]www.nbc-med.org/SiteContent/MedRef/OnlineRef/FieldManuals/medman/Ricin.htm[/url]
[url]http://www.tdh.state.tx.us/bioterrorism/facts/ricin.html[/url]
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 4:18:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Correct me if I'm wrong but, doesn't a supercritical mass of U235 weigh about 12 pounds?

Given the 20 to 1 ratio in the link posted, I can't help but think that a working gas centrifuge would process 240 lbs of uranium ore pretty quickly.
View Quote

I'm not an expert, but if that were true there would be no need to cascade thousands together like they do. The fact the enrichment is so small and takes so long is why they need thousands of the things.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 4:19:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
how big is this thing anyway?

the size of a bread box, trash can or a trash dumpster?

if it's that small we can find a lot of these things in a country the size of California.
View Quote

About the size of a welder's tank I think.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 4:26:34 AM EDT
[#34]
[b]Any idea how many of these centrifuges would be required to make enough bombgrade uranium for one gadget? Thousands is a good guess.[/b]

well, as a one-time builder of centrifuge parts, it would take hundreds....in order to achieve any aubstantial quantity over a reasonable time span.

the gas must be passed from centrifuge to centrifuge in an unbroken chain for weeks/months in order to get the good stuff out the other end.

with only one or two centrifuges, the purification process would take forever. my guess is those centrifuges were purchased for purposes of reverse engineering and building more off of...or for use in eperimentation.

the enrichment facility in ohio has bank upon bank of centrifuges under armed guard. the buildings are huge! hundreds of yards long just to fit in one bank of centrifuges.

a few centrifuges is not a nuclear "smoking gun". but it is another nail in saddam's coffin...and just more evidence that the asshole was not dealing from the top of the deck.

let them snoop around some more. i'm certain they will find more damaging evidence in the future.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top