Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/25/2003 12:19:17 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 12:20:46 PM EDT
[#1]
You could always get an old F-150.

Go with what your gut says. The Cherokee is a good ride -- as you already know.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 12:23:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 12:26:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Jeep Cherokee.  The 4.0 engine is actually a Renault medium duty truck engine, and is as durable as a diesel.  The drive axles are either Dana or Mopar, either of which is plenty tough enough for a light vehicle like the Cherokee.  Aftermarket off-road parts are widely available, as are the normal wearout items.  They dont rust heavily either.  
 The onle prob with them is if you are a big guy the drivers area is kinda cramped.  IIRC, you are about average sized so it should fit you fine.
 stay away from the Explorer, lotsa problems and expensive repairs.  (My buddy at the garage calls them Exploders)  The midisze Blazers have a weak rear diff and the front one is no prize either.  An older FS Blazer would be an excellent choice if you can live with the gas mileage.  Ops
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 12:35:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I DEFINENTLY say go S-series.

I have a 92 blazer 4x4 [url]http://208.161.103.89/images/blazer_washedold.jpg[/url] and it's been one of the better older rides I have owned.

The S-series has the powerful 4.3 in two different injection configs. Both will put out plenty of torque to pull 4000-4500 easy.

The 4.3 is 350 with 2 pistons missing so the engine is tried and true 2 fold. The 4.3 are repetedly known for 200K miles+.

They are cheap as hell, probably one of the easiest cars to find parts for. Just look around where you drive, I bet you'll see more old beat up s-series trucks/suvs on the road then any other truck/suv. That's cause the engines and tranny's last and the rest can be fixed with minor amounts of money.

Plus, you'll find that the S-series is a full framed truck/suv, unlike the jeep you proviously had (channeled subframe), so you'll notice the blazer will be an all around more solid feeling ride and doesn't sound like it's going to brake in half when you go over a big bump.

One more thing, when you get bored with your 4.3 or it just wears out on you after 200K, you can enjoy putting a beefy 350 chevy small block (bolts right up) for less money then it would take to re-build a 4.3, can't say that about many trucks on the road today.

Edited to say: My blazer with BF TA's on it has no issue in the ice/snow in 4WD.

Link Posted: 6/25/2003 12:37:08 PM EDT
[#5]
How about an older suburban....back when they still built them like real trucks.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 12:37:43 PM EDT
[#6]
chevrolet is going to be the simplest to find parts for and work on in the event of problems.  and as said earlier, you can swap in and out so many engines and power adders that its not even funny.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 12:45:08 PM EDT
[#7]
an International Scout II is what you need. for $3000 you can get a super nice one. contrary to popular beliefs there are plenty of parts still available for them. plus you get to drive something different. everybody has a jeep, bronco, or blazer. those are all boring.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 12:50:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
an International Scout II is what you need. for $3000 you can get a super nice one. contrary to popular beliefs there are plenty of parts still available for them. plus you get to drive something different. everybody has a jeep, bronco, or blazer. those are all boring.
View Quote

I had a 79 scout with the 345 V8, what a great truck that was.
I wish I still had it, but one of these days I'll get one and build it as a project vehicle.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 1:04:40 PM EDT
[#9]

I had a 79 scout with the 345 V8, what a great truck that was.
I wish I still had it, but one of these days I'll get one and build it as a project vehicle.
View Quote

my current driver is a 79 with a 345. automatic tranny(727). it is a ralley scout. i'm constantly getting thumbs up from people. if they just weren't so prone to rusting, then i think they would be more popular. although in arizona i don't guess you have that problem.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 1:07:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 1:22:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Bought a 1989 Isuzu Trooper II a few months ago, for $1500. 4WD, A/C, power steering, full power windows, 4 speed auto tranny, seats 5 (four full belts, one lap belt). Room for stuff, adequate power (120 hp) from a medium sized (2.8L) 4 cylinder engine.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 1:28:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 1:31:31 PM EDT
[#13]
130,000 miles when I bought it.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 1:33:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 1:37:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Some of those Pathfinders and 4Runners last forever. Probably not enough towing power for your application.

The 4.3L paired up with the 4sp OD auto trans IMO have been some of the crappiest drivetrains to leave GM.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 1:55:09 PM EDT
[#16]
The 4.3L paired up with the 4sp OD auto trans IMO have been some of the crappiest drivetrains to leave GM.
View Quote

My expirence has been the opposite. I know so many people with S-series trucks, vans, SUV's it not even funny. Most STILL have those cars as 3rd auto's.

Even my Girlfreinds dad has 170K on his 90 astrovan, original engine and tranny.

Sorry to hear of your expirence.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 2:16:14 PM EDT
[#17]
An old 4-Runner is a good choice.  Its hard to find one in decent condition for your price range though.  

For you price range I would say a 4.0L Cheroke is perfect.  I have owned 2 and both have been awesome trucks.  I now own a 2003 Grand Cheroke with the 4.7L V8
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 2:37:21 PM EDT
[#18]
[red]DEFINATLY[/red] NOT a newer generation Chevy Blazer.  Mine is a 1996 and I think it is rated at one of the worst years for the Blazer, but alot of my friends are having roblems with their newer ones as well.  Buying the Blazer was The [blue]BIGGEST[/blue] mistake of my 26 years of life.  You are better off with I'd say a 4 Runner or a Pathfinder.  Just my .02
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 3:09:03 PM EDT
[#19]
A newer gen 2 blazer would never be $2000-$3000.

When I say blazer I mean the old ones fellows the Gen1,  I think 86-94.

From what I hear it's not just the newer S-series that chevy is having a problem with, it seems to be their full size rigs as well, GMC alike.

Link Posted: 6/25/2003 3:16:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I am about to buy another vehicle, and have the following criteria:

Seat 5 with seatbelts,
Decent power for towing,
Decent snow, off road ability,
reasonable repair parts costs
American made preferred

My budget is no more than $3000, this is simply for around the county driving no long trips we have a nice vehicle for that. I am leaning toward a Jeep Cerokee because I currently have  a 89 2wd Cherokee that I have been happy with but it has body damage that is not worth fixing and makes it worth virtually nothing. I figure if I get another Cherokee about the same year I will strip all the often need parts from the one I have and scrap it, leaving me with lots of replacement parts (starter, distrubuter, engine, dash parts, all that) plus an extra set of wheels to keep my off road tires on. Then we will use whats left to practice extrication at the fire department, or car fire practice.

I have also considered an Explorer, full size Bronco's, Blazers, and some others.

What do you guys think? Any suggestions?
View Quote

I have an '88 Cherokee with 290k miles on it. 4x4 (NP 231), 4.0L I-6, Peugeot transmission (5 speed).

Excellent off road capability, although sometimes I wish it had more room for stuff.

Does your Cherokee have a Dana 35 or Dana 44 rear end? The 44 is sought after, if you buy another it is something to look for.

Try to avoid the Peugeot transmission (BH-10). It is considered to be the worst trans ever put in a Jeep (but I've never had trouble with mine). They were used up until about '89, and parts are hard to find for them. In fact, I'd suggest the auto if you want to tow.

The 4.0L is an outstanding engine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top