Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/25/2003 8:04:57 AM EDT
I am driving to Miami this weekend and will spend most of next week there.  I just found out that TX and FL have a CHL reciprocity agreement.  I will have my CCW in the car, hotel, and possibly restaurants.  
Is there any quirky laws dealing with CCWs in restaraunts?  

In Texas any business wanting to ban CCW from being carried have to post a specifically worded sign at the main entrance. Is this the same for Florida businesses?

Does Miami have city based restrictions on Conceal Carry?

Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:16:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Suggest starting with [url]packing.org[/url]

It looks pretty strightforward with minimum BS.  State overrides local laws so no bizzare local crap to deal with.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:52:34 AM EDT
[#2]
No guns in bars, sports arenas, police stations & courthouses. Signs must be posted to prohibit CCW, but you won't find any. No need to notify police if you get pulled over. Here's the official wesite [url]http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/index.html [/url]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 9:00:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 9:00:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Signs must be posted to prohibit CCW, but you won't find any.
View Quote

If you are saying that businesses can put up signs to restrict CCW, you are incorrect.  In Florida, "no guns" signs have no legal weight except that if the business somehow finds out you're carrying (they shouldn't if it's concealed) they can ask you to leave and if you won't, they can have you trespassed off the property.  If you are carrying in a business with a "no guns" sign, you are not breaking any law and would not be cited if you had to use your gun in legal self defense in such a business.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 9:11:21 AM EDT
[#5]
No local laws to worry about. State law is the King.
The quirky one to be careful of is in restaurants. You can carry inside if they serve alcohol only if you sit in the restaurant part, not at the bar.
Say you go to the Outback and you have to wait for a table. You cant wait at the bar or take one of the tables around the bar. Its a class ll misdemeanor. You can only sit in the restaurant part. You cant carry in a stand alone bar.
The only place I have ever seen a No Guns sign is at a pawnshop.
[url]http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/possession.html[/url]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 9:19:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The only place I have ever seen a No Guns sign is at a pawnshop.
View Quote

I've seen the signs at pawn shops and gun shops, and Blockbuster Video used to display them (but don't anymore around here at least).  I always ignore them as they hold no legal weight.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top