Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/25/2003 8:02:25 AM EDT
Hamas and other groups have agreed to a 3 month truce!!
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:04:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Link? Story? I'll believe it when I see it.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:09:08 AM EDT
[#2]
How much $$$ is it costing us this time?
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:10:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Link: [url]http://www.msnbc.com/news/801833.asp?vts=062520030905[/url]

It won't last.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:12:50 AM EDT
[#4]
This will last for a week at most.  These groups are to self righteous to agree that another group could be correct.  There will be a bombing or something to let everyone know that they were duped by Hamas and others.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:13:14 AM EDT
[#5]
They'll use the time to organize new attacks. Don't trust them, just kill them. To quote Ash:

"Stop. It's a trick."
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:14:47 AM EDT
[#6]

I give it three weeks.

Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:17:40 AM EDT
[#7]
FOX News
Wednesday, June 25, 2003

Police Say Major Attack Thwarted in Central Israel
AP

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,90356,00.html

JERUSALEM  — Police said they arrested two Palestinians believed to be on their way to carry out a major attack Wednesday in central Israel (search). A bag containing a large amount of explosives was also found, they said.

The bag was blown up in a controlled explosion that shattered nearby windows and was heard for miles.

Police Commander Yehuda Bachar said: "A large attack which would of had a lot of victims" was averted.

Military and police were placed on high alert early in the morning after receiving intelligence warnings that a potential suicide bomber and an accomplice had crossed into Israel to carry out an attack.

Scores of roadblocks were set up in the densely populated Sharon region, an area bordering the West Bank (search) and a frequent target of Palestinian militants (search).

Hours later, a police anti-terrorism unit captured two suspects in Kfar Kassem, an Israeli-Arab village 12 miles northeast of Tel Aviv, Bachar said. It was not immediately known to what group they belonged.

Two bags, one containing explosives, were found in the same area, Bachar said. The size of the explosion led police to believe the device contained dozens of pounds of explosives.

"It was a huge explosion that damaged the windows in nearby homes," Bachar said...
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:18:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Odds are not good that it will last 1 week, let alone 3 mos.  At best they will just give the stage over to some smaller group to ply their wares of death.

One can only assume they were getting a lot of leadership killed and needed to re-organize.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:19:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I give it three weeks.

View Quote

You're an optimist.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:21:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I give it three weeks.

View Quote

You're an optimist.
View Quote

AGREED
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:21:11 AM EDT
[#11]
I say it will last less than two days.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:22:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I give it three weeks.

View Quote

You're an optimist.
View Quote

I'm a pessimist.  Three [i]days[/i].
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:25:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Any truce with these vermin is a mistake.  They should be killed to the very last man, woman or child!  Hamm ASS can not be trusted any more than the rest of those zeros!!
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:34:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I give it three weeks.
View Quote
You're an optimist.
View Quote
I'm a pessimist.  Three [i]days[/i].
View Quote

We need a poll!

Place your bets... how long will it last?

A) less than a week.

B) more than a week, less than a month.

C) over a month, less than 2 months

D) over two months, less than 3 months.

E) Three full months - Hamas really really really means it!!! [:)]

Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:38:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:40:27 AM EDT
[#16]
we need a poll.

This truce will work the day monkies fly out of my ass.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:46:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:46:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

One can only assume they were getting a lot of leadership killed and needed to re-organize.
View Quote

[:D]  Yep!!  We told 'em, "American troops will be used to eliminate terrorists in Gaza, if you do not do so"... Worked wonders!

How do I do a poll?? I didn't see it on edit?

Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:47:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Any truce with these vermin is a mistake.  They should be killed to the very last man, woman or child!  
View Quote

My thoughts also.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:49:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:54:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
They'll use the time to organize new attacks. Don't trust them, just kill them. To quote Ash:

"Stop. It's a trick."
View Quote

Actually, Ash said:  "It's a trick... Get an Axe."

Link Posted: 6/25/2003 10:37:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Not a done deal says Hamas.  Some small guys have not signed on.

[url]http://story.news.yahoo.com/fc?cid=34&tmpl=fc&in=World&cat=Mideast_Conflict[/url]

By DAN PERRY

JERUSALEM -  Islamic militant groups signed an agreement to halt attacks on Israelis for three months, a senior official of Yasser Arafat (news - web sites)'s Fatah (news - web sites) faction said Wednesday ? a possible breakthrough for the U.S.-backed peace plan. An official with one of the groups, however, said the deal was not final.  

AP Photo

Reuters  

Slideshow: Mideast Conflict

Shortly after word of the cease-fire, Israel sent helicopters to carry out an airstrike against what it said was a squad of Hamas militants preparing to carry out a rocket attack. Palestinian officials said a man and a woman were killed and 17 Palestinians were wounded.  

Israel said an internal Palestinian deal was of no consequence. A senior Israeli official said the Palestinians would be judged on their actions, including whether they can halt bombings and shootings.  

Fatah, whose own military wing has also carried out attacks, joined Hamas and the Iranian-backed Islamic Jihad in signing the agreement. Smaller armed groups have not yet signed on.  

Fatah official Kadoura Fares said that in recent weeks there have been intensive contacts among Fatah leader Marwan Barghouti, who is jailed in Israel, and Khaled Mashal of Hamas and Ramadan Shalah of Islamic Jihad, who are in Damascus, the Syrian capital.  

The military wings of all three groups have carried out bombing and shooting attacks against Israelis during 33 months of fighting, killing hundreds.  

"The Palestinian dialogue has resulted in a cease-fire agreement for a period of three months," Fares said, adding that a formal statement about a cease-fire would be made later Wednesday.  

"We in the Fatah movement demand that the Israeli government respond to this initiative with a comprehensive halting of aggression against the Palestinian people," Fares said. "We consider this as a step to ending occupation and we salute the spirit of responsibility in the Hamas and Islamic Jihad."  

A Palestinian source, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said a document outlining the truce terms was signed by Mashal, Shalah, and Barghouti.  

In it, the militant groups agree to a moratorium on attacks for three months, the source said; in exchange they demand Israel end targeted killings of militants and military incursions, and call for the release of Palestinian prisoners held by Israel ? but do not set any deadline or timeframe for this.  

The cease-fire applies to settlers and soldiers in the West Bank and Gaza as well as to Israel, a key Israeli demand, the source said.  

In Gaza, local Hamas leader Abdel Aziz Rantisi said the deal was not final. "In the coming days we will have an answer, and ... Israeli terrorist actions will be taken into account when we decide," he said, apparently referring to the Israeli airstrike Wednesday in the southern Gaza town of Khan Younis.  

Another Hamas leader, Mahmoud Zahar, said that "this is all lies," when asked about the report of a truce deal.  

But Mohammed al-Hindi, the top Islamic Jihad leader in the Gaza Strip (news - web sites), confirmed Hamas agreed to a three-month truce and was trying to arrange a joint declaration with his group.  

Mediators were currently in the process of informing Palestinian and Egyptian officials of the agreement. Egypt has played a major role in helping Palestinian Prime Minister Mahmoud Abbas persuade the militants to end attacks and give a chance to the U.S.-backed "road map" peace plan.  

The Palestinian source said that an official announcement on a cease-fire would probably be made in the coming days, possibly from Cairo.  

Israeli military intelligence officials have said they expect such an agreement, and Palestinian officials and militant leaders have suggested it is imminent.

An end to the violence would presumably clear the way for implementation of the road map, launched June 4 by President Bush (news - web sites) at a Mideast summit.

In the plan's first phase, the Palestinian Authority (news - web sites) is supposed to dismantle terror groups, while Israel is supposed to freeze Jewish settlement construction in the West Bank and Gaza, dismantle scores of illegal outposts and gradually withdraw troops from autonomous Palestinian territories.

To date, both sides have approached implementation haltingly: Israel has taken down just a handful of outposts, while the Palestinians insist on using only persuasion to get the militants to stop attacks on Israelis. Violence has plagued the efforts to arrange a cease-fire.

Israel fears a cease-fire will be used by the militants to regroup for more attacks, especially as it is being called a "hudna" in Arabic ? an Islamic term widely understood as referring to a temporary arrangement. It says a truce must be only the first step in a Palestinian crackdown on the militants.

Abbas has promised the militants will eventually be disarmed, but he also says he will not use force against them, fearing a Palestinian civil war.

Hamas leaders in Gaza have chafed at laying down their arms. Still, the group is coming under enormous pressure from all sides, including the Arab world, the United States and Europe. There are efforts to dry up its funding, and Israel has made clear it will target its leaders in military strikes if attacks go on.

Since violence erupted in September 2000, dozens of Palestinian suicide bombers have crossed the largely unmarked line between Israel and the West Bank, blowing themselves up in nearby Israeli cities and killing hundreds.

In all, the fighting has killed more than 2,400 people on the Palestinian side and more than 800 people on the Israeli side.

Violence continued Wednesday.

Hamas said two of its members fired an anti-tank missile at an Israeli military vehicle in northern Gaza. That set off a firefight in which the two militants were killed. An Israeli soldier was wounded, the military said.

The clash occurred in the area of Beit Hanoun, which Israeli forces have controlled for several weeks in an effort to prevent Palestinians from firing homemade rockets at the Israeli town of Sderot, just beyond the fence surrounding the seaside strip.

Also Wednesday, Israeli police said they captured two Palestinians en route to setting off explosives in an Israeli city.

Acting on an intelligence tip, police went on high alert and set up roadblocks in central Israel, apprehending the Palestinians in the Israeli Arab town of Kafr Kassem near the line with the West Bank, about 12 miles northeast of Tel Aviv. There was no immediate claim of responsibility from militant groups.

Police detonated the explosives safely, in a blast could be heard for miles around.

Area police commander Yehuda Bachar said that "a large attack which would of had a lot of victims" was averted.  

Link Posted: 6/25/2003 11:10:56 AM EDT
[#23]
One word...

BULLSHIT
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 11:24:49 AM EDT
[#24]
See this?

It's me NOT holding my breath...
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 11:25:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Hamas and other groups have agreed to a 3 month truce!!
View Quote

See this? It's me NOT holding my breath....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top