Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/25/2003 6:50:21 AM EDT
Fix List:

[url]http://www.neowin.net/staff/creamhackered/articles/SP4list.htm[/url]

For the express installer:

[url]http://download.microsoft.com/download/b/1/a/b1a2a4df-cc8e-454b-ad9f-378143d77aeb/sp4express_en.exe[/url]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 7:10:25 AM EDT
[#1]
You got an insider at Microsoft leaking this early?

SP4 doesn't show as released on microsoft.com pages and the readme html file in the install package you posted has a 404 link to the SP4 page at Microsoft.

Link Posted: 6/25/2003 7:17:52 AM EDT
[#2]
The download site is from Microsoft!!!

Dont know what to tell you. Ive only installed it on 4 machines. I archived my files just in case, but it seems to have no negative effects on any of the 4 systems.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 7:47:35 AM EDT
[#3]
never heard of it
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:06:23 AM EDT
[#4]
It looks like someone in the beta test community or an MS insider passed the link along to Neowin.net, jumping the gun on MS's official release.

They seem pretty convinced that it's the real deal.

I'll give it a try on one of my non-critical boxes first before I patch my server.

Thanks for the scoop.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 5:51:32 PM EDT
[#5]
CAUTION!!!

I did the update on 2 machines this morning.

The fucking SP turned Automatic Update back on.  Both via the Control Panel app and in Services as well.  Disabling Automatic Update via the Control Panel app DOESN'T kill the service.  You have to do that manually.

The update put everything back to "default on".

God knows what else got "reset".  I'm checking now.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 7:43:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
CAUTION!!!

I did the update on 2 machines this morning.

The fucking SP turned Automatic Update back on.  Both via the Control Panel app and in Services as well.  Disabling Automatic Update via the Control Panel app DOESN'T kill the service.  You have to do that manually.

The update put everything back to "default on".

God knows what else got "reset".  I'm checking now.
View Quote

CAUTION*2! I installed it and it killed my DVD playback.  Sort of surprised me when I went to watch an episode of BoB ("Bastogne") this evening and the playback was hosed. (I used the interActual 2.0 player, BTW.)

Peeled it off (SP4) and went back to SP3 and everything was Ok. If you do try SP4, I highly recommend choosing the option that saves your old files in case you need to revert back like I did.

Good luck,
Kevin
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top