BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2003 6:32:34 PM EDT
[url]http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36~53~1473341,00.html[/url]

Man dies in body armor accident

26-year-old stabbed in 'demonstration'
By Kieran Nicholson, Denver Post Staff Writer

A 26-year-old man was stabbed to death when he donned a bullet- proof vest and the victim's uncle plunged a knife into his chest to test the body armor, police said.  

The stabbing happened about 2:45 p.m. Friday at a home on the 9900 block of West 20th Avenue, said Steve Davis, a Lakewood Police Department spokesman.

Gabriel Aranda, 26, was taken to St. Anthony's Central Hospital, where he died a short time later, Davis said.

Amando Aranda, 32, the victim's uncle, was arrested on suspicion of first degree murder, Davis said.

"The suspect and victim were trying to demonstrate their belief that this type of protective vest could withstand a knife attack," Davis said. "Obviously that was incorrect."

The knife pierced the victim's heart, Detective Mike Rushford said.

Also in the home at the time of the incident were two boys, a 14- year-old and a 4-year-old.

The victim and Amando Aranda planned to show the teenager "what the vest could protect against," according to court documents.

Amando Aranda used a "long black-handled knife" from the kitchen and "poked" his nephew once, according to an arrest affidavit.

The two men had previously carried out the same demonstration four or five times in front of witnesses without injury, Amando Aranda told investigators.

In an attempt to save Gabriel Aranda, Amando Aranda used his finger to plug the knife wound in the victim's chest until paramedics arrived, the affidavit said.

The two men had shared a pint of whiskey, drank beer and smoked marijuana before the fatal demonstration, the affidavit said.

Aranda appeared in court Monday and has another court appearance scheduled Wednesday, said Pam Russell, a spokeswoman for the Jefferson County District Attorney's Office.

Aranda is being held without bond at the Jefferson County Jail.

Marilyn Robinson of The Denver Post contributed to this report.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 6:49:49 PM EDT
[#1]
[b]The two men had shared a pint of whiskey, drank beer and smoked marijuana before the fatal demonstration[/b]

You always want to loosen up before physical activity.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 7:00:18 PM EDT
[#2]
At least one of these guys won't be pissing in the gene pool any longer.

I saw on the History Channel (I think) that the guy who developed the Kevlar body armor tested it by putting it on, stuffing a couple phone books underneath and then shooting himself with a .44
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 8:21:59 PM EDT
[#3]
There's a story that a sales rep for one of the body armor companies some years back, when Kevlar first came out, told a potential buyer to go ahead and stab him with a knife, that the vest would stop anything.....He was probably one of the early posthumous Darwin award winners.

I know that a lot of salesmen don't know much about their products, but most of them don't use themselves for crash test dummies either.

I think the guy that Cougar8045 is referring to is Rich Davis, president of Second Chance. He said in an interview that the purpose of the phone books was to cut down on the bruising from the blunt trauma of shooting himself over and over while demonstrating his vests. He said that after a sales trip his chest looked like raw beef.....
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 8:29:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Rich Davis is the man!! I've seen video of him taking hits from .44 mags and an FAL!! He shot himself with the .44. He literally stands behind his products.
He owns Second Chance- they make the vests. They used to be able to cliam more cops saved then anyother company. Kevlar is a Dupont aramid fiber product.

2nd chance used to sponsor the bowling pin matches- lotsa fun- .45, 12 gauge and an AR all blazin' at the same time.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 9:06:07 PM EDT
[#5]
What, he missed the trauma plate but hit the heart?
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 9:11:05 PM EDT
[#6]
It was a cop killer knife, ban knives, for the children!!!
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 9:19:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Because of this part,
Quoted:
The two men had previously carried out the same demonstration four or five times in front of witnesses without injury, Amando Aranda told investigators.
View Quote

This part seem pretty irrelevant.[>:/]

The two men had shared a pint of whiskey, drank beer and smoked marijuana before the fatal demonstration, the affidavit said.
View Quote

ed; I'll bet this killed the buzz.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 1:37:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Yup, nothing aids the ol' judgement like booze and pot, especially when it comes to potentially deadly weapons.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 1:44:50 PM EDT
[#9]
I saw a picture the other day of a vest and trauma plate shot with this new .17 caliber from a Ruger single-action revolver. It went through both plate and kevlar like the hot-icepick that it is...
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 1:46:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Yup, nothing aids the ol' judgement like booze and pot, especially when it comes to potentially deadly weapons.
View Quote

Indeed
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 1:54:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Rich Davis is the man!! I've seen video of him taking hits from .44 mags and an FAL!!
View Quote

A FAL! [>:/] What, shooting a cast lead bullet lightly loaded? I doubt it was a 147 grain projectile moving a 2800 FPS.  Perhaps I'm wrong, but I didn't thing that even the trauma plates could take that.

Link Posted: 7/1/2003 1:56:23 PM EDT
[#12]
And what are those famous last words....

"Hey yall, watch this!"
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 2:36:16 PM EDT
[#13]
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?sAccountUnq=19372&iGalleryUnq=574&iImageUnq=14290[/img]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 3:00:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Here! Hold my beer and watch this!
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 3:15:22 PM EDT
[#15]
There is a huge controversy brewing about Second Chance vests, and the fact that the bulletproof material they're using (Zylon- NOT Kevlar) is supposed to degrade significantly over a brief period of time (measured in months!).

The protection offered by such vests is reported to be drastically less then when new.

Scary!

Links:

First, read this:

[url]http://64.177.53.248/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001190.html[/url]

Then, this:

[url]http://64.177.53.248/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001193.html[/url]

Then, this one:

[url]http://64.177.53.248/ubb/Forum5/HTML/000309.html[/url]

Link Posted: 7/1/2003 6:05:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top