Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/24/2003 11:09:02 AM EDT
For those of you that remember, I posted a topic several days ago - I'm moving to Ann Arbor and need to register my handguns.

I spoke with someone in the Washtenaw Sheriff's Dept - He said I'd need to pay $6/pistol to buy a pistol purchase permit in order to register my handguns (even though I already own them!)  WTF?  That would be a lot of money. [:D]

Then I spoke with a (nicer) guy in the ann arbor PD who said that I would need to get the purchase permits but would NOT need to pay for them.

So it looks like I'm going to the AAPD.

But does anybody have a copy of the law?  From what I understood, there were no fees involved in registering your handguns.  I'd like a copy of it in case someone tries to hand me a bill.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 11:15:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I thought that they could not charge for buyers permits anymore. The registering should be free anyway atleast that is how it was the last time i bought a pistol
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 1:38:39 PM EDT
[#2]
No charge for buyer's permits but they rape you on the "Safety" inspection.  Got me for 10$ a gun.

Keving67
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 1:52:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Each city/county does things differently and very few police agencies actually follow the law, go figure.  Some PDs were charging as much as $50 for the papers, so the legislators put at cap of $10 on it.  Then the CCW law went into effect and said they could not charge anything for it.  So some started charging an inspection fee.  Unless you are in a gun friendly city/county they will make it as expensive, time consuming, and difficult as possible to get all the paperwork.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 1:57:24 PM EDT
[#4]
It depends on where you live in the city .

EXAMPLE: In Grand rapids

say you live in Grand rapids but are just out side of GR city limits. Technically you don't live in gr. So you'd go to the sheriff's office.

permits wouldn't cost you a dime.

But if you lived in Grand Rapids city limits you not supposed to register with the sheriff's office. You gotta go to the GRPD (and),

shell out a few bills.

confused yet?

Link Posted: 6/24/2003 3:31:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 4:02:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Phil_in_Seattle has it right.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 4:18:48 PM EDT
[#7]
The new ccw law that we have said that agencies could not charge for the permit.  What some departments are now doing is charging a fee for the notary.  They are forcing the person getting the permit to have them notarize it and then be charged.  I have not heard of the charge for the safety check up here.  I do know that you need to be prepared for the stellar amount of gun safety you will witness during the "safety check".  I have my pistol aimed at myself and two others in the room.  The moron also kept his finger on the trigger the whole time.  Another time I took a revolver in and he wanted to know how I opened the cylinder gate and then asked me why there wasn't a safety on it.  
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 5:29:18 PM EDT
[#8]
The guy at AAPD was surprisingly helpful - didn't give me any crap for owning so many handguns (the WCSD gave me a "holy crap, how many?")

Anyway, he told me there would be no fees.

Still a PITA though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top