Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2003 8:00:04 AM EDT
I cut my foot about 8 days ago. It broke open 2 days later, & bleed a little again, at which time I soaked my foot for 20 minutes in hot soapy water. It hasn't broken open since, & I started using iodine on it after the soak also. It is now closed up, but still a little tender. Not bad, just a little tender, I can walk on it no problem. I have been watching it closely for signs of infection so as to catch it early. There is no hot spots, or redness at all.
Just now while looking it over I noticed 1 side of the cut is slightly puffed felling, & when I pushed lightly on the cut side my finger tips became slightly tacky. It wasn't pusy, more like limph. I don't know if this is a normal part of the healing process, or a sign of infection starting.  
Any help in diagnosing this would greatly appreciated, as I have no medical insurance, & would prefer to save the expense of a doctor visit just to find out there is no problem.
Thanks, Searcher out
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 8:04:55 AM EDT
[#1]
not sure about the puffiness.  I just got an infection from a small cut on my elbow.  It did get swollen but what i mostly noticed was it was really hot to the touch and blueish-redish.  And not just a little, it was my entire elbow and partway up into my forearm and upper arm that was discolored.  Funny thing, like you say, it didnt hurt to move it, just to touch it.

-Nuke
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 8:09:43 AM EDT
[#2]
After I weed-whacked my leg a few weeks ago, I had that same sticky stuff oozing for several days.  I think it's part of the healing process, not a sign of infection.  My leg healed up pretty well without any infection.  

If it is getting infected, look for pus oozing out instead of the clear sticky stuff.  And the hot spot, tenderness, redness, etc.  

Go over to [url]www.pre-ban.com[/url] and post this in "The Doctor is In" forum.  Or maybe TT or KODoc will get tired of arguing about affirmative action and read this here.  
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 6:28:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I think you'll probably live. If it starts hurting so bad that you can't walk or if it swells dramatically or starts turning a darker shade of red then I might think about going to the doctor. Although I am a procrastinator and I almost died three years ago from an infection in my leg that ended up requiring surgery and a week of laying in the hospital, but hell, I needed the rest.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 6:33:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I think it is okay.  

I have been using cyanoacrylate glue on all my latest cuts and abrasions.  I had a screw driver slip on me 3 days ago and I put a nice puncture/tear in my hand.  I contemplated getting it stitched but the ol' crazy glue to the rescue.  Seems to be healing just fine.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 7:15:24 PM EDT
[#5]
When was the last time you had a Tetanus shot?

You really only have to worry about "Lock Jaw" if you cut it on something really dirty or really rusty (flaking off)!

Have you been putting TAO on it? Mycitracin, Neosporin etc. are good examples of TAO.

The best thing would be Bactroban cream or ointment!

Go to the "Free Clinic" and they will check it out for little or no money...You can get the Tetanus vac. for $5.00.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 7:35:07 PM EDT
[#6]
What you are describing sounds like normal serous drainage. You have a good idea about what to expect with regards to signs and symptoms of infection. If those occur do not wait, get treated. Warm soaks or heat with elevation can be beneficial for infection as well.

If the cut is shallow try some POLYsporin and a dressing. However, when you are home and there is no risk of contamination, put up and expose to the air. Keeping it clean and dry is the key. Once it heals over discontinue the antibiotic ointment--once again, keep clean and dry. Avoid bandaids for any long term use. They keep wounds to wet for me. Use gauze, it will wick away drainage, etc.
If it is a deeper puncture, just use a gauze dressing, keep clean&dry, expose to air when able.

Tetanus: If over 10 years you need a booster. Local health dept will likely do this for you cheap if you need it.
Rusty objects are not required for tetanus, nor does a puncture with a rusty object mean you will get tetanus.

A little common sense and you should do fine. Sounds like you have the right idea.

Since I am giving you this advice please do me the courtesy of emailing me if you have problems.

Semper Fi

Link Posted: 6/24/2003 9:34:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Slow healing feet is a symptom of diabetes.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 9:38:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Okay...here is what you do.  

1. CUt open the wound.

2.  Drain all fluid by squeezing the sidesof cut.

3.  Shove rock salt into cut.

4.  Wrap in bandages.

If none of this sounds like a good idea then maybe you should go to a doctor instead of asking complete strangers on the internet what to do.

That or it's Monkey Pox.

Sgtar15[;)]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 5:36:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That or it's Monkey Pox.

Sgtar15[;)]
View Quote

Holy shit.

Monkeypox!

I didn't even think of that. Sorry dude, you have only days to live![:D]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 6:08:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Hey, how about a link to that spider bite photo???
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 6:15:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top