Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2003 11:34:54 PM EDT
The computer graphic business is looking pretty dismal here in Phoenix and I'm not interested in moving. Law enforcement is something I've been interested in for a long time but I have a question.

I have a General Under Honorable Conditions discharge from the US Army.

How will that affect the prospects of becoming a police officer?
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 11:45:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends on why you got it.  For a while when it was almost impossible to get a DD or BCD, Generals carried a bigger stigma than they do now.

Take a look at your Dischaarge, used to be a copy to show employers and a copy to show recruiters if you wanted back-in.  That extra coding was a Re-Enlistment Code.  Check to see what yours is, that may give a hint on how you fit in the grand scheme.  BTW it is supposed to be illegal to ask for your RE code, if it's not good don't volunteer it.  If it's good, hell yes show it.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 12:07:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info. I'll check on that code as soon as I can.

Here's a little background though. I got married at 19 while stationed at Ft. Knox. I was already bored with the duty but had no black marks on my record. I came home late one night after a small feild problem to find my Wife in bed with another soldier who I proceeded to beat the shit out of. I then told her to get out and stay with a friend. It all went downhill from there. I stopped giving a shit and got a few small council statements but It culminated with my Platoon leader showing up at my place with another guy asking me if i was feeling suicidal. Turns out that the soon to be Ex-wife had pulled this crap and called my PL saying I was gonna kill myself.(Farthest thing from the truth. i had just got back from having a good time in town with some guys I knew from another unit.)After all this crap and prodding from the base shrink I made a stupid decision. The First Sgt. of my company said that I could take a GUHC discharge. I did'nt make sense to me as I thought you couldn't opt out of service but in my stupid, pissed off state I took it. That was back in 1993.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 12:52:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top