Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2003 2:01:30 PM EDT
First, the facts. My wife left employment with a Dentist office on June 12TH due to conflicts with several of the staff menbers ( I have met both of them and i agree that they are both B1tches). No problems so far, right? Well during the months of January and April the Good Dr. Said that if they did X amount in sales that he would take the office staff to Las Vegas (plane fare and hotel accomidations would be paid for). So far so good. This trip was to take place of the regular bonuses paid during this period. After she left employment on June 12th, we found out that the plane tickets and hotel reservations had been canceled the day before on the 11th. The bonus was earned for performance between January and the end of April. Is there any way that the Good Dr. can be forced to pay the price of the plane ticket and hotel accomidations even thought she left employment after the bonus was given to her? The trip was planned well in advance and we had a copy of the plane ticket and itinery with us. We called the airline the day that she was let go and was informed that the ticket had been canceled the day before. Can they take away a bonus that was earned before she left employment? I am asking here because of the knowledge of the board and also the fact that the Dr.'s lawyer is also the lawyer that we use so there is a conflict of interest there.

Thanks for all of your help,

Karl
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 2:36:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 2:43:06 PM EDT
[#2]
No chance in hell of getting the bonus.  If I was your wife, I would of quit right after I got back from the trip [:d]
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 2:54:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 3:01:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
First, the facts. My wife left employment with a Dentist office on June 12TH due to conflicts with several of the staff menbers ( I have met both of them and i agree that they are both B1tches). No problems so far, right? Well during the months of January and April the Good Dr. Said that if they did X amount in sales that he would take the office staff to Las Vegas (plane fare and hotel accomidations would be paid for). So far so good. This trip was to take place of the regular bonuses paid during this period. After she left employment on June 12th, we found out that the plane tickets and hotel reservations had been canceled the day before on the 11th. The bonus was earned for performance between January and the end of April.
View Quote

Did the others go on the trip, or collect bonus pay?

Is there any way that the Good Dr. can be forced to pay the price of the plane ticket and hotel accomidations even thought she left employment after the bonus was given to her?
View Quote

Yes.  [:D]

The trip was planned well in advance and we had a copy of the plane ticket and itinery with us. We called the airline the day that she was let go and was informed that the ticket had been canceled the day before. Can they take away a bonus that was earned before she left employment? I am asking here because of the knowledge of the board and also the fact that the Dr.'s lawyer is also the lawyer that we use so there is a conflict of interest there.

Thanks for all of your help,

Karl
View Quote

It's quite simple, really. Simply walk into his office, stick a .45 in his nose, and his checkbook in his hand. He's an educated man, I'm sure he'll understand why you're there.

Before you involve lawyers, or .45's, have you Asked them for the bonus??
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 3:23:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Liberty86,
That idea has crossed my mind but, alas, is unavailible to me at this time (local police ).
The bonus was asked for by my wife but it is for only " loyal Employees". They are scheduled to go on the vacation in a couple of weeks.

Lib, my boss IS the chief of police. There are, however, many different ways to skin a cat, comprende?

Karl
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 6:27:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Liberty86,
That idea has crossed my mind but, alas, is unavailible to me at this time (local police ).
The bonus was asked for by my wife but it is for only " loyal Employees". They are scheduled to go on the vacation in a couple of weeks.

Lib, my boss IS the chief of police. There are, however, many different ways to skin a cat, comprende?

Karl
View Quote

Heh, heh. Yes, I comprende' very well Karl!!! [:D]

I LOVE the "good old boy" network, as long as it's MY "good old boys" networking!!! [snoopy]
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 6:42:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Definitely a conflict in interest for the lawyer. He would side with whoever has more money to give him, or who was his client first.

OR it may (longshot) be in his best interest (to keep both of you as clients) to try and mediate between the two of you...Like I said, a longshot, but still an option.

You are S.O.L. unless you have something specifically in writing that details the bonus plan and shows your wifes contribution into earning it.

Im guessing you dont have anything like that.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 7:10:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Nope, no written contract. just a verbal, "if we do $340,000 in business during the months of January and April, I'll take the whole office to Vegas."

Thanks,
Karl
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 8:29:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Texas is an "at will" employer state...basically, an employee can be fired at anytime with no cause and the employer is only liable for compensation prior to termination.

Bonuses, stock options, etc. do not have to be paid after an employee is terminated unless a written contract is signed by both parties...(ie. severance, contract employment, etc)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top