Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2003 7:42:06 AM EDT
OK, knowledgable ones. Im tired of paying over $60. a month for not using my phone service. So, can I have a cell phone with an isp, etc. I really only need the isp for email and browsing the www. Id like comparisons, prices, and some general info. TIA  
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 9:57:34 AM EDT
[#1]
IIRC the telco has legal requirements to supply a usable phone service if you have a phone line.  IF you don't have telephone service with them (no phone service or with one of the competitors now) they are under no obligation to maintain a good enough wire connection to carry data just voice.  And you can get a voice circuit over crap that couldn't sustain a 14.4 modem connection let alone anykind of decent internet.

So you could get a cheap cellphone and use cable modem fo internet and not have any phone company contact.

You'll save some bucks likely not enough to make the other hassles worth it.

Check with your phone company, you oughta be able to get a real basic package for everything.

I wouldn't rely on cell phones for everything.  Still way too many pockets of bad reception.  My brother just got Cingular  Family Plan and gave a phone to our Mother and his daughter.  Cingular was unusable/unreliable in both Alhambra and Chino Hills, whaddaya wanna bet as they got to the boonies it got worse, where do you live what's the cell coverage where you usually are?  Those are the big questions to answer first.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top