Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/22/2003 7:39:45 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 7:50:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Been down this road a trillion times.

Half the reason people many people buy guns like AR's and AK's in the first place is the image they convey. It only serves common logic that such people would want equally intimidating nomenclature to go with their "semi automatic assault rifle with high capacity magazines..."
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 8:02:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Sniper's rifle makes sense.

For practical purposes, any centerfire rifle that the average Joe could pick up and make a center mass hit at 200 yards is a sniper rifle according to ignorant people like our representatives and the media.

If I had to make up a definition, I would say it is any centerfire rifle, equipped with a telescopic sight, firing a readily available cartridge, that wil reliably fire sub MOA regardless of weather conditions and is hardened such that the entire system will withstand rough use/abuse/accidents with no change in POA/POI and functionality.  

Oh look...I just described a really good hunting rifle!!!
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 8:56:45 PM EDT
[#3]
A rifle that hunts this:
[img]www.mbr-pwrc.usgs.gov/Infocenter/Photo/Images/h2300p2.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 9:04:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Look out! A snipe!
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 9:26:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 9:30:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The media recently reported that a guy fired something like 208 rounds of ammo THROUGH the front wall of his apartment (firing roughly in the direction of the parking lot where police were waiting).  They were careful to explain that he fired these 208 shots [b]"sniper-style"[/b] using a "semi-automatic assault weapon."
-Troy
View Quote

GRRRRRRRRRRRRR [pissed] [pissed] [pissed]

Pet peeve.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 6:54:18 AM EDT
[#7]
"Sniper rifles" are bad because they are too accurate and can hit people from miles away.

"Assult weapons" are bad because they are not accurate and have to spray lots of bullets from the hip to hit a target.

".50 cal" rifles are too big and powerful, too accurate, no one should have something like that.

"Saturday Night Specials" (small pistols) are too small for self defense, too inaccurate, and are dangerous, will go off accidently, killing your loved ones.  But cops can have them, just not civilians.  (Cop's families must be expendable by this logic)

So, just about everything is too big, too small, too something... they are all too GUN for the anti's.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 6:57:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I always figured a "sniper rifle" was just a
     marketing term to make wanna-be's get a hard on.
View Quote

How about a WWII surplus Italian Carcano POS with a matched POS scope that has to be shimmed-up before law enforcement can even run a ballistics test on it [rofl2]
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 6:58:57 AM EDT
[#9]
I own a Sniper's Rifle and thats how I look at it.  Designation L42A1 Enfield 7.62 NATO.  In service until replacement in 1991.  My Rifle worked for a living and it shows, so I have a genuine "Sniper's Rifle."  
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 3:16:39 PM EDT
[#10]
"That's not good for anything but killing people."

You Betchum, Red Ryder!  And don't you forget it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top