Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/22/2003 7:00:10 PM EDT
1. Why is the tail rotor angled? To provide a small amount of lift and make the boom shorter?
2. How much can they carry? Specifically personell at say 200lbs apiece?
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 7:13:27 PM EDT
[#1]
1. The 20° canted tractor-type tail rotor produces a small amount of lift, effectively widening the CG envelope with no significant loss of horizontal thrust.[url=http://www.enae.umd.edu/AGRC/Aero/tailrotors.html]Source.[/url]

2. The UH-60A has an 8,000-lb internal load capacity. The UH-60L has a 9,000-lb internal load capacity. [url=http://www.cavalrypilot.com/fm55-450/Ch1.htm]Source.[/url]
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 7:16:50 PM EDT
[#2]
How much space inside? At 250 lbs per person thats 32. I dont think you can fit that many in.
Does 8000 lbs include fuel?
Whats useful payload with full fuel?
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 7:20:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Click the link on the second source. There is a diagram of the internal dimensions of the ship, as well as discussion of the loading configurations.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 7:22:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Hmmm. 6' by 12'. 20 skydivers easy. Maybe more.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 9:19:49 PM EDT
[#5]
That is pushing it from my experience. Granted I am not a recreational sky diver, but I have jumped out of my fair share of military aircraft. I think that 16 pax + 4 crew is about it on the long end, but it all depends on what the pilot says though (density altitude, fuel, wx, jump altitude, etc...).
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 9:36:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Number of troops depends on the country, Little Brown Guys dont take up as much room.  The folks I work with put 20-25 on a hawk on a regular basis for quick reaction type missions.  18 full kited up troops for a long stay in the jungle.  This is with the kevlar flooring and an internal fuel tank.  If the bird is stripped, then Im sure you could get 20 skydivers in it.  
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 9:39:50 PM EDT
[#7]
someone needs to post a picture of this bird!
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 6:29:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 7:55:04 AM EDT
[#9]
As noted above the TR is tilted to provide some upward lift.  The Blackhawk being slightly tail heavy.  A longer tail boom would not really help as it's the CG/weight back there, not the leverage provided by the tailboom's length.  The rear stabaltors actually provide lift as well, using the mainrotor downwash at a hover and changing angle for various profiles.  The angle changes automatically (or manually for emergencies).  The UH-60 tailrotor produces more thrust than the mainrotor on an OH-58.

The aircraft has normally a crew of 4.  We would plan for a peacetime loading of 12.  That's not due to wegiht (they could weigh 300lbs each or more) but the fact that there are only 12 seats.  The seats themselves are designed to collapse in a crash in a more survivable way, i.e. they absorb shock.  This will go a long way to letting 12 guys walk away from a hard landing.  You could carry a couple more depending on how it's configured (15 IIRC), but it was easier for units to figure on squad sized units.  You would always loose the extra capacity to OCs, etc. anyway.

Wartime planning was 22 people with the seats out.  Obviously you loose the crash attenuation of the seats, but wartime missions are more risky and certain things become trade-offs for capability.  It's not worth the risk to go without seats in peacetime.  Those seats really do work.  Wartime...well many times it may be safer to get more folks on the ground than make two trips.

At 22 people, the aricraft is full.  Combat troops are carrying all sorts of gear, and the cabin space fills up quick.  Rucksacks, weapons, etc. can take up alot of room.

The Blackhawk has more than enough power to "cube out" on the inside with people.  In the UH-1H, we could run out of power before we were even close to full, depending on where you were flying.  

Ross
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top