Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/22/2003 6:24:10 PM EDT
I want to know if I can legally have a refund?

Here's my story.

I want a certain job, I have to take 2 classes to get it.  The job tells me to call a number at the local community college so I can enrole in one of the classes I need.  The college sends me the enrolement paperwork.  I send them the payment, $90, to reserve a seat in the class.  On the paperwork it says something about "no refunds" and mentions nothing about registering with the college.  Second day of class the instructor asks if everyone is registered at the college.  I figure I'm registered because I'm enroled in the class.  Next day I find out 5 others and I are not registered at the college, so we need to register and can do it online.  So I register on line.  Before the fifth day of class I'm called at my present job and notified that I need to pay another $268 because I'm an out of state resident.  (I just moved in about 4 months ago.)

I decline to pay the extra $268 and ask for my $90 back.  They said the paperwork says "no refunds".  I said, "It says nowhere on the enrolement paperwork I needed to be registered with the college.  It also doesn't mention anything about an extra 'out of state student' fee." (I can take both classes I need for $195 somewhere else, I just need to wait until September.)

I understand about out of state student fees, and they didn't know I was from out of state.  Part of the $90 went to books, and I have highlighted in one of them.

My whole arguement is that they shouldn't be able to change the class price, forcing me to pay it or lose my original $90.  I don't want to take a $358 class, and I don't want to lose my $90 either.

I'm no longer taking the class, and the guy that makes refund decisions is on vacation for 2 weeks.  So I'll have to wait to give him my side of the arguement.

Can I get my $90 back because they failed to mention on the enrolement paperwork that I needed to register with the college or that higher fees for non-residents apply?

Oh yeah, this is the second time I enroled in the class.  The previous class was canceled. (They did refund the money that time.)

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 6:31:58 PM EDT
[#1]
From my wonderful experiences with college, I would suggest that you pay the extra, take the class now, and chalk it up to a learning experience.

Think about how much effort and time you are going to end up wasting plus the additional stress.  Is all of that really worth $163?  Plus if you take the class now you will be one step closer to getting the job you want.  That peace of mind should easily be worth $163.  I know it sucks but compared to the major things in life this is peanuts.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 6:52:51 PM EDT
[#2]
You are screwed.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 7:04:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Shoot their nuts off.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 7:05:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Look at the Thousands of dollars you will get working at that job compaired to a measily $358
Don't step over dollars to pick up dimes[;)]
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 7:52:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm already out of the class... no going back now.

To my understanding the hiring process is a long and it takes months.  Dropping out only sets me back 11 days... Unless I am to get into the 2nd class I needed in July (it's full at present), then I'd have hurt myself. But I wasn't grasping what they were teaching.  Now I have time to read the book and understand it.  Atleast now my test score will be higher.

Anyways, I really want to know if I can get my $90 back?  Is my arguement any good or am I just whinning?  
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 8:03:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Your arguement sounds fine to me, but then again I am not the 'refund decision maker' and don't need to justify my existence.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 8:15:49 PM EDT
[#7]
If you make enough noise you will get you money back....I once had my money refunded because of a bad teacher.  I just kept complaining.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 8:36:15 PM EDT
[#8]
California is so screwed up that the only thing that will fix it is a flush.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 9:15:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I figure yer out the $90 because it is too late to get a waiting student in the class.  So they would be out the money.    Your taking a Community College class and didn't do anything about enrolling and now are asking?  If you stayed in the class you mighta had a chance.

You shoulda told them you were an illegal alien they only have to pay resdient tuition..

Studying now and hard is a ggod idea since you were having problems.  Dropping is a little harsh but less harsh than flunking.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top