Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/22/2003 11:27:16 AM EDT
Well my wife and I went to a large flea market to sell of a few years worth of stuff today.  We do this every few years to sort of clean out accumulated crap and make a few $$$.  I sold some gun stuff and ammo, and she sold a bunch of clothes and other girlie stuff.  We did fairly well.

--Anyway--

We brought home a puppy.  The father is an AKC German Rotweiler that goes 170lbs, and the mother is an AKC Wiemeraner (I KNOW that's not spelled right!) that goes 70lbs.  Now I don't really give a shit that he isn't a real purebred of any pedigree, I just wanted a good dog to replace the one that disappeared about a year ago.  It's 5 1/2 weeks old and jet black except for a tiny white spot on his chest.  The kids love him!

Should I keep his food bowl full all of the time, or just feed him a specified amount daily?  What about adding eggs or hamburger or rice too his food since he is a puppy.  Will it help/hurt his health?

The guy said he has had his shots and been wormed, but I'm unsure if it's true.  He seems like an honest guy.  Should I get it done again?

Can anybody reccomend some good pest control products such as collars and flea treatments?

Is there a good way to train him to be good with the family, yet distrust strangers?

Is too much rough play going to make him mean?

BTW, as I type this I'm looking out the window and my daughter is running and playing with him (we have a few acres).  

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!

Balming
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 11:41:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Go here for all questions considering the Rottie part of this baby. [url]www.rottweiler.net[/url]
Yes, he is too young to have had all his shots.
He needs extra parvo protection, because he is part Rottie. He also needs a full series of puppy shots. Get a good veterinarian, and stay on good terms with him. Every Rottie needs a vet that knows him.
He has been taken away from his Mom way too early to learn proper dog things like bite inhibition.
8 weeks is the correct time for a Rottie to be homed.
Get more info from the Rottie board above, they are kind and helpful.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 11:45:57 AM EDT
[#2]
One thing in particular about Rottweilers is that they mature quite a bit later than most dogs, so It'll be a puppy for a while.

Good flea Tx for the house is boric acid powder.  You can get it at the feed stores cheaper than the pet stores.  Fleas HATE cedar, it's a natural repellant.  Get a cedar chip filled bed and use cedar shampoo when washing your dog.  Those three things combined will keep your house and your dog flea free naturally w/o chemicals.
As far as feeding goes, get some quality puppy food and go by the directions on the bag.  As far as training, look on the internet and DEFINATELY get some puppy socialization/obedience classes under your belt for the rott side of the puppy.  Rott's are the alpha of the house unless you plan to be(thats how they think).
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 11:53:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the tips so far!

I had a full bag of cedar chips in my garage, and a medium sized plasic dog house already, so I'm covered there.

My wife bought some cheap puppy food, but I'll ask her to pick up some Puppy Chow and mix it with it.  I would hat to throw away 20lbs of food!

The alpha male thing sounds like a good idea.  Growing up my brother had a Rottie and he ONLY liked my brother!  He ended up getting that hip condition that some of them get.  He also started bringing home parts off of the neighbor's goats, so they shot him.

Balming
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 12:34:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Well my wife and I went to a large flea market to sell of a few years worth of stuff today.  We do this every few years to sort of clean out accumulated crap and make a few $$$.  I sold some gun stuff and ammo, and she sold a bunch of clothes and other girlie stuff.  We did fairly well.

--Anyway--

We brought home a puppy.  The father is an AKC German Rotweiler that goes 170lbs, and the mother is an AKC Wiemeraner (I KNOW that's not spelled right!) that goes 70lbs.  Now I don't really give a shit that he isn't a real purebred of any pedigree, I just wanted a good dog to replace the one that disappeared about a year ago.  It's 5 1/2 weeks old and jet black except for a tiny white spot on his chest.  The kids love him!
[blue]Congrats on the pup. That is a bit young to be leaving the mother though.  Be gentle with him and for the next couple weeks add some goat milk to the food. [/blue]

Should I keep his food bowl full all of the time, or just feed him a specified amount daily?  What about adding eggs or hamburger or rice too his food since he is a puppy.  Will it help/hurt his health?
[blue] Some dogs are free feeders, some aren't.  We have to carefully measure our girls food each day so they don't get fat.  Best way is to offer a cup in the morning and leave it for fifteen minutes and then pick it up.  Do it again in the evening.  That way it learns it has eating times and not to dawdle.  Also feeding more than once a day is better for the dogs digestion and better to time potty training.  Our girls are fed four times per day.  Try not to go too cheap on the food as many cheap ones are mostly filler and can lead to digestive problems.  If you change foods though do it slowly.  If the puppies poops are generally solid and her coat shiney then she is probably doing OK.  Ground hamburger and rice are always a good addition.  We also give one egg a week.[/blue]

The guy said he has had his shots and been wormed, but I'm unsure if it's true.  He seems like an honest guy.  Should I get it done again?  [blue] Take your puppy to get checked out.  Don't worry too much about the vaccines. I don't think it is supposed to get its first shots until 8 weeks anyhow. Keep the puppy away from public areas though till it's about 4 months if Parvo is a problem in your area. Your vet will know.[/blue]

Can anybody reccomend some good pest control products such as collars and flea treatments?
[blue]For fleas, advantage seems to do the best, but if you don't have them now just wash the puppy and if it doesn't have fleas you should be OK for a while.  We've only had a bout of fleas once and our girls only rarely use flea products.  Our problem is ticks.  I hate those bastards.  Just need to check them closely every day. [/blue]

Is there a good way to train him to be good with the family, yet distrust strangers?
[blue]Go take puppy classes.  There are many pretty cheap ones at Petsmart and the like.  They will tell you what you need to know. [/blue]

[blue]Play is good.  That is one reason it is important for them to stay with mom and sibling until 8-10 weeks.  Make sure each time he bites to "YELP" loudly to teach him to use a soft mouth.  It takes a while but stick to it.  Try to not to force too much play as for large dogs their joints form slowly and are weaker than their size makes them appear until they are about 2 yrs old.  But playing with kids is great for the puppy.  And try to socialize it as much as possible with other people and animals so you have a confident and social puppy.  That won't take away from its protectiveness but will reduce the likely hood of it biting someone you don't want it to in the future. [/blue]

BTW, as I type this I'm looking out the window and my daughter is running and playing with him (we have a few acres).  [blue]Make sure to post pictures. Sounds like a lucky puppy.[/blue]

Balming
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 12:53:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It's 5 1/2 weeks old and jet black except for a tiny white spot on his chest.  The kids love him!

Balming
View Quote

This is a little young, but it sounds like he's adapting okay. Remember, dogs are pack animals, and your family is now his pack. You'll need to establish that your the "pack leader", a male puppy will test you for a couple years, until he has matured. To train him to be the "pack guardian", start by feeding him after you have eaten. Keep him in another room/outside, but allow him to know whats going on, but no begging. Some people have issues with feeding animals table scraps, but the sharing of food is a very important social pack activity, and will build loyalty.
And keep him away from police officers!!
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 1:50:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Sounds like a cool mix. My one piece of advice is do not let him jump up on people as he greets friends or when he's excited, my sheppard did this and it seemed so cute when he was a pup, but its not too cute when when they are 100 lbs. good luck.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 2:02:02 PM EDT
[#7]

You lucky bastard. I love Rotties.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 2:44:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

[blue] I have two Akitas. The male weights 125 and the female weights 115 and neither is fat. I fed them 2 cups of dry (high quality) food  along with 1/2 a can each of Pedigree a day at "1" time a day. If they don't eat it, I pick it up and throw it out (sounds cruel but cuts down on fights). And yes I give them table scrapes.[/blue]

The guy said he has had his shots and been wormed, but I'm unsure if it's true.  He seems like an honest guy.  Should I get it done again?
[blue]Find a good Vet and have the pup examed by him/her. [/blue]

[blue]Over the counter flea bath is what I have used in the past.[/blue]

[blue]My dogs spend all their time with my wife and me. They are not locked/chained up outside and forgotten about. The are treated like one of the family and we do not have any problems with any of them. They sleep on my bed, they lay at my feet, they are my friends.[/blue]

[blue]I play rough with mine, that's why I like big dogs. But I watch what I am doing and what the dogs are doing. When I think it is getting to rough I start showing them affection and sweet talking them.[/blue]

BTW, as I type this I'm looking out the window and my daughter is running and playing with him (we have a few acres).  

Balming
View Quote

Balming: I have raised over 20 Akitas since 1984. I have shown then and breed them for sale. I have never had one bite anyone (thank God). I think the main reason for this is I treat them like a member of my family, but I treat them with respect.

They can be dangerous, but you have to show them who is the boss and enforce that every now and then. As for training the dog for protection, I have never worried about it. All of my dogs have been very protective of my wife's and me when they felt they need to be.

Just take good care of it.

ED
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 2:46:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Congrats on the new pup!

Consider picking up a copy of "The Art of Raising a Puppy" (See Amazon.com) great book on how to understand the needs of your dog.

Ed
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 4:04:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for all of the advice!

My wife is going to take him to the vet tomorrow and get him checked out, as well as ask for his input.

I knew there would be some sound advice here!

Balming
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 4:22:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't know if dog food is made similar to cat food but I would guess it is.  Don't just look for a brand name like Science Diet(which the vet will push because they $$$) or Purena, if you want quality food check the ingredients lable.  People think brand names like Purena must be high quality food but if you look at the ingredients the first couple items are filler, usually ground corn or rice, then the meat usually comes in the form of meat by-products meaning it's not just meat but all parts of the animal.

To find a good dog food get to a large pet store, Walmart & Kroger don't cut it, then spend some time reading the ingredients on each bag of dog food.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 6:21:23 PM EDT
[#12]
SWIRE

Good point about the food. Good food costs more, but there's one big advantage. With less filler, it means less shit in my yard!!

Seriously, you'll notice much fewer 'land mines' if you feed them the good stuff.

Ed
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 6:31:04 PM EDT
[#13]
I highly recoment this book.
[url=http://www.dogwise.com/ItemDetails.cfm?ID=DTB116&AffiliateID=45029&Method=3]Don't Shoot the Dog by Karen Pryor[/url]

This is the book that "started" clicker training.  Honestly, the first edition started it, this is the second edition which is better.  Karen used this book to bring operant conditioning to the masses.  You don't need a degree in behavior analysis, though it won't hurt.

Let's face it, the biggest problem everyone has, is everyone else's behavior.  Doesn't matter who it is, your spouse, your coworkers, your children, or your pets.  It is their behavior that causes you problems.  Okay, sometimes it is your behavior too.  She shows how to change that too.

"Don't Shoot the Dog" tells you how to change their behavior in simple, easy to understand language.

Remember though, this is not a dog book -- though the second edition is a lot more doggier than the first.  And it wouldn't hurt to read both editions.

Link Posted: 6/23/2003 6:55:12 PM EDT
[#14]
As was mentioned before, Rotties keep growing for 18 months - 2 years; depending on how much of the mix is Rottie you'll want to keep him on puppy chow which has higher level of nutrients to aid growth. I used Pro Plan puppy chow, great stuff.

When the dog gets old enough, use Frontline for all the flea protection you'll need. It's a liquid you apply to the back of the dogs neck, a few drops every couple of months - stuff works great and the fleas in the house disappear.

You'll also want to use heartworm medication, I use HeartGard, give the dog a chewable tablet once a month.

Ask your vet about the Frontline and HeartGard, you can probably buy them from him.

Good luck!

Link Posted: 6/23/2003 7:15:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Pics!
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 7:29:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Pics!
View Quote

DITTO!
I was actually going to make the same request right after reading the subject line [:)]
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 10:01:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Congrats on the pup Balming - great choice!

I'll second the selection of food - ProPlan. Stuff is expensive, but worth it.

My one Rott is just under 100lbs and he's nearly 3. I feed him twice daily and had been told by several breeders not to just leave the food out. These pups don't know WHEN to stop eating. Overall its all regards to maintaining a healthy weight.

Excellent advice posted by Ratters as well.

PS - Just a little trick of the trade - If feeding your dog at specific times of the day, make sure he/she knows that food IS YOURS if you want it. I have the boys 'sit' as I place their food bowls down, and then 'tell them' when its time by saying 'Go Ahead'. Every now and again, simply reach down and take the bowl away before they're done eating. Give it back and praise them for not being 'overprotective of their food'. I've seen lots of dogs nip at their feeders who havent taught them this little trick.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 11:21:27 PM EDT
[#18]
If you treat your dog as your "friend" and you as its "master" you will never have to "teach" it to protect you.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 11:58:10 PM EDT
[#19]
I second the advice for Frontline. That stuff is great. I have never seen a flea or a tick even near my dog while I have been using that. Very effective. The HeartGard is also great stuff.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 3:46:30 AM EDT
[#20]
The vet told us the same things y'all did.  He stressed the "alpha male" thing and stated it was very important to set boundries and let the dog know that he is not the boss.  He gave us a lot of advice and seemed very knowledgable about both breeds the puppy is comprised of.  He also said he is quite large for his age, even if he is older than the seller told us!

I'll try to take a pic in a few minutes, but I'll have to email it to someone to post for me.

Balming
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 4:12:22 AM EDT
[#21]
I just took a few pics.  I have to go to work now, but I'll check this post again when I get there to see who to email the pics to.

Balming
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 5:08:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Congrats on your new pup!

You have already been given so much good advise already, I can't really add anything to what has been already said.

Eric
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 5:09:26 AM EDT
[#23]
You have a perfect chance to get this puppy used to everything he will need to do to later on in life. He is a little young right now. In a couple of months start these few things.

1. Don't make his distrust anyone. When someone comes to the door DO NOT pluck his nerves such as " Who is it" or "get em". He is a natural protector who will look after his herd. He will guard you and your family and will be able to tell when he needs to be a baddog from your cue's. If you cry wolf too often you will condition him to be ON when ever the door opens and sooner or later he will make a mistake. Teach him to love everyone and fear no one and trust you.

2.Socialize him with new people in different surroundings. Take him for walks in crowded places and just sit and let him get used to all kinds of people,Old, Black , white , running kids, etc.. Do not let him jump up or charge strangers.

3. Start training him to submit to check up's in the next couple of months. Right now he is little and cute to hold. Soon he will be TOO big to hold while the vet checks his mouth or nuts or paws etc. Make it a game and reward with much praise when he lets you check his paws, then his mouth , roll him on his belly for a couple of seconds and then work up to a few minutes while to poke and prod him.

4. If you teach him only one thing teach him the command " COME" . He MUST stop what ever he is doing and he MUST come to whom ever says this command. This could save his life one day.

5.Train him to follow basic commands. Have you ever taking a dog to class ? it is one of the best things to do for a puppy. Puppy kindergarten classes they are cheap and you can get the time you need to train NOW before he becomes a adult. Have the whole family involved in his training because they all must be able to control him at ANYTIME. Classes are cheap and fun.

I am happy for ya, I could go on and on .

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top