Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/22/2003 9:22:07 AM EDT
Two of the gas stations I frequent are now becoming Shell gas stations. Is there any difference in gasoline quality? I always buy the 87 octane, reg. unleaded.
Is this happening in your neighborhood too?
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 9:29:25 AM EDT
[#1]
I've always thought Shell and Texaco were one of the same.  But I've continued to purchase my gas at the (now) Shell station, and it's fine.  I've also found that Shell tends to be cheaper than all the other big-name stations.  I've slowly seen most of the Texacos in my area turn over to Shell.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 9:36:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 9:46:01 AM EDT
[#3]
I doubt the quality will change. I work for a brand name gas station as a mechanic and the whole company is being changed to another name very soon but the petrol is still coming from the same source as before. This may be taking place accross the board at all of the stations like the one I work for, it's a huge bussiness deal in the workings. Of course the best way to find out is to try a tank from the new station about a week or two after it changes names. This will give enough time to empty the holding tanks of all the old gas. OT- In my town the gas prices are scheduled to increase as much as 30¢ a Gallon in the next month or two.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 9:47:32 AM EDT
[#4]
The gasoline itself is the same.  It comes out of the same pipeline.  In fact the gallon of gas a company puts into the pipeline on one end isn't the same gallon that comes out the other.  They just get a gallon if they put in a gallon.

At the company's terminal, additives are mixed in to make that company's product somewhat different.  Different detergents, etc.  

There isn't any difference in the gas itself, and in practical terms there really isn't any difference in the end product that comes out the hose and goes into your car.  Unless you really have your heart set on a particular additive, it won't matter.

Ross
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 10:29:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Shell gas made my old car run like crap.  There was a Shell right on my way to work, so I would always go there.  I know that 99% of the gas is the same, but that 1% screwed my car up.  My car didn't like Arco either.  I switched to BP and then Chevron, and the car ran fine.  No more Shell for me ever.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 10:41:08 AM EDT
[#6]
I buy mostly Phillips 66 and Citgo. I NEVER buy Shell.

Jim
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 10:48:10 AM EDT
[#7]
I have worked at a Texaco refinery for 30+ years.  A couple of years ago Shell bought us from Texaco.  The gasoline we make is basically the same.

As has been said, the terminals put various additives such as detergents, etc. in the gasoline.  But some "no name" operators sell a lower quality gasoline.  I would recommend sticking to a major company's product.

And as far as the octane, if the 87 octane runs well in your vehicle, you are only wasting money to use a higher grade.  Basically, if your engine knocks when accelerating, go up to the next octane.  If not, don't waste your money.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 10:50:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top