Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/30/2001 4:42:16 PM EDT
OK.  I have a SA M1A that I have mounted a Tasco SS scope on.  I am not happy.  No, nothing really wrong with the rifle.  Nothing really wrong with the scope (actually, very good clarity).  it's the combo.

The mounting system I use is a Smith Enterprises scope mount platform and a US Optics Posi Slide&Lock.  

The problem is, even with a leather cheekpiece on the stock, I can not get a satisfactory cheekweld and see through the scope.

Any help guys?  

James
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 5:01:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I have an a.r.m.s #18 mount with the a.r.m.s #22 rings(low), this is with a scope that has a 40mm lens, and the cheek weld is perfect without any "cheekpiece".  I have also tried the the #22 rings (medium heigth) with the Springield scope that had a 50mm lens and the scope still "fit" on the rifle, but had to use a "cheekpiece" from fulton armory to get a decent fit for myself to use the scope.  Yes, it can get pricey ($150 for the mount, $99 for the rings), but they are bombproof and I do get a repeat zero everytime I put the scope back on (the rings are quick detatch).  On a side note, what I have found is that ammo does make a difference with this rifle.  Bought some cheap stuff (1000 rds for $119), and the groups were downright sad at 100 yds (don't ask!), used some "better stuff" and the groups were about 2 1/2", BUT, paid some money for some Federal premium this past weekend and the groups were unbeatable (you would think I was bullshitting if I told you!)  Live and learn.  Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 5:06:59 PM EDT
[#2]
13f,

I'll look into the moiunting stuff you mention.

Regarding ammo, no, I would not be surprised by what you get with good ammo.  Mine is also a shooter.  And I don't even have a match barrel.  it can still outshoot me.

Thanks

James
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 5:32:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 5:48:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Another option you might consider is from Freds in the SGN. Buy one of his used stocks and cut the fore-end or the top part of the butt stock off and cut to fit. Once its at the highth that you want, you can either glue it or use 100 MPH (GREEN) tape to secure it. He also sells either of these peices already cut. Check him out, it might be just what your looking for.
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 5:55:31 PM EDT
[#5]
first off is your stock wood or fiberglass?
here is what i did.(YOU CAN ALL LAUGH AFTER YOU READ THIS BUY HEY IT WORKS)
so anyway, i had this cherokee cheek piece for my ar. did not care for it, as if i forgot my scope, i had to take off the b/stock to remove (went with one of their quick detach ones).
so i have this c/piece, cannot give it away.
start staring at it, decided to take and cut it in half (horiziontally) and make it fit onto my m-1a.
yes it looks like it does not belong, however, it fits fairly snug on the stock, gives me a good, as well as comfortable cheek weld. and best of all i made do with something i had. if you look 1 can be found used for the cheap.
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 6:02:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Frank,

The Smith mount is excellent.  It was installed by the owner (Smith?) himself.  It is rock solid.

http://www.smithenterprise.com/mounts_rings.htm#M14 TACTICAL SCOPE

The US Optics Posi Slide&Lock is also a rock solid combination rings and ???  It slides onto the Picatinny rail (will NOT fit a weaver style as the specs do not require weaver to match all dimensions as do Picatinney).

The problem is, after carefully examining the rifle just now, the Posi Slide&Lock is fairly high.  My scope sits with a good 1/2 inch clearance of the handguards (42 MM scope size).

I think you are right and the answer is ARMs rings (sigh).  I'm sure at some point I will build another AR upper using a flattop picatinney rail and can reuse the US Optics system then.  Trust me when I say US Optics equipment isn't cheap.

OK then, wherre is the best place to order some rings?  And, which height???

Come to think of it, why don't I just call Smith and tell him what scope and have him send me the rings?  I don't think ARMs is any better and I can be sure of compatability.  Yeah, that's the ticket.

James
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 6:09:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I love this website.  In less than 1 hour I have lots of useable advice.

Trantula13a - I think I am going to try lower rings as I wrote above.  Thanks for the idea though.  It might come to that if new rings don't help.

Jim - unreal.  I also have a cherokee for an AR sitting in my closet.  I finally concluded (no flame intended to anyone doing this) that an A2 handle was not intended for a scope and went to flattops for all scoped ARs I have.  I hadn't thought about using this thing, but if it comes to it who knows??  I would rather retain the standard stock as sometimgs iron sights are nice to use, so I'll put this into the "last resort" catagory.

LOLs guys.  Seems necessity is the mother of creation afterall.

James
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 2:23:59 PM EDT
[#8]
FrankSquid, yes, every once in a while I have a cartridge hit the "belly" of the scope.  Talking with a buddy of mine who's quite familiar with the m-14, he mentioned that the problem probably is the the extractor.  He mentioned that he has had the same problem.  Solution he mentioned is to replace and  change the "angle" of the extractor (I'm trying to get him to show me how to do this one hopefully in the near future. He mentioned that if you call springfield and inform them of the problem, and send them you're bolt, they'll do it for you.  In the meantime, I just placed a thin layer (1/8" thick) layer of foam tape under the scope, and no problem (he's busy with work, and I still want to shoot it!) Hope this helps, and keep in mind, I'm clueless.
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 2:36:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 2:42:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Guys,

Well, I'm an impulse kind of guy, so I tracked down some new rings today.  All I could find were Leupold (which I hope hold up to the recoil).

It lowered the scope a little bit.  I also pulled the scope back towards me more, and changed the leather cheekpiece for a nylon one from one of my bolt guns.

Still not enough for a true cheekweld with the scope.  Soooo, I "built" an insert under the cheekpiece of cardboard and plumbers tape.  Helps, but, really, I am still at a "chin weld" as Paul puts it.  I'm beginning to think this rifle isn't meant for a scope.

I'll probably get to try it out within a few days to see how it is and if any improvement has been made.

James
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 2:49:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Brownells has an add on cheek piece that attaches to the stock by way of adhesive. I know a guy that put a scope on his M1a using an Armscorp mount and Badger Ordnance rings. The cheekweld was perfect with it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 3:13:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 3:15:59 PM EDT
[#13]
By the way, I tried out a gun with a Fulton Armory adjustable cheekpiece on it and IMO it was just to squishy feeling.
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 3:40:50 PM EDT
[#14]
(whimper)

Imbrog|io,

(sigh)  I just ordered the Fulton Armory cheepiece.  I hope I like it better than you did.

I'm beginning to see why I like my ARs so much.  The flattops are perfect for a scope.

Oh well, experimentation.  That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger.  Good for the character.  (sigh).  

James
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 4:55:09 PM EDT
[#15]
well you guys gave me more to think about tonight. I just received my ARMS #18 mount & #22 low rings and my Leupold 4.5x14x40mm Tactical. I mounted it all up last night minus the inserts due to a shipping error but will have thm in hand a a couple of days. But anyway I sat the scope in the open rings and found that the scope was hitting the rear sight of the M1A. I figure the inserts will clear this problem up. I also get very little cheekweld if any. So I will be on the lookout for a good cheekpeice now as well.

I looked at the "squishy" ones as stated above at a gun show and kinda liked them for the reason that you can change the height pads. Imbroglio, So are you saying that the one you are talking about does not work well. Is it due to the cheekpeice will squish down too far to get a solid weld on the stock? I am interested on hearing you input. Thanks, Greg
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 8:34:52 AM EDT
[#16]
BTT
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 9:23:35 AM EDT
[#17]
It is kind of hard describe. It was difficult (at least it was for me) to get a consistent cheekweld with the Fulton cheekpiece. It really didn't squish downwards but had a little sideways give and to me it just didn't feel solid.
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 3:07:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for the answer. I guess I will be on the lookout for something else. I know what you mean about the sideways movement. I thought about that and was going to buy one anyway. But now I don't think I will. They are nice but a bit too soft. h
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 2:36:07 AM EDT
[#19]
What would be a good M1A cheekpiece for a left-handed shooter? Most of the ones I see are right-handed only.
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 9:37:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Here is the link to Brownells for the Scope Eze.
For M1A's I would recommend (YMMV though):

946-101-950  1 1/8" (2.8cm) to 1 1/2" (3.8cm) Taper Scope Eze

[img]www.brownells.com/images/products/946101750.jpg[/img]

[url]www.brownells.com/Product/productDetail.asp?ProductID=946101750&CategoryID=506[/url]
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 12:15:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Good news bad news

Good news is Fulton Armory was out of stock for the cheekpieces.  I cancelled the order.

Bad news is, this rifle still stinks.

Today I shot it at 50 yards.  With or without a good cheekweld, this thing is NFG.  With Federal basic ammo I got 3 inch groups, with match I got 1.5 inch groups.  Remember - this was at FIFTY YARDS.

Bye bye M1a.  Hello AR10.

James
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top