Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/26/2016 7:45:17 AM EDT
I've been putting of some much needed remodeling at my house for years now.
I can't do it myself, so I'll probably have to hire it out.
I don't like the idea of having people in my house while I'm not there, but I may have no choice.
Work nights and sleep during the day, so I don't think I need beating and banging going on, plus, the majority of the remodeling will be the bathroom.
Can't be going without a bathroom.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 7:47:58 AM EDT
[#1]
A good (references, solid contract, good rep) contractor can bang out a bathroom remodel in just a few days.

Just ask if he can adjust his schedule a bit so you don't overlap as much when you need to be sleeping.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 7:49:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Took all my guns to a friends house.

Then I made a point of showing the contractors the EMPTY safe with the door open.

This is important - because any potential thief will assume a locked safe contains valuables.  

Since the contractors needed access to the basement, and the water shut off was right next to the safe - it wasn't possible to hide the safe.

Link Posted: 10/26/2016 7:55:13 AM EDT
[#3]
We moved out for the 2 weeks during demolition phase (3 bathrooms and 1 kitchen re-done).

I have small kids.  I know our house has lead paint.  I didn't want the kids breathing that type of dust (there will be dust).
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 7:56:31 AM EDT
[#4]
No second bath? Use your neighbors or a garden hose
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 7:58:07 AM EDT
[#5]
My wife and I have been staying at my parents while we remodel ours. We are doing everything ourselves so it's been taking a long time, but I'm glad we didn't try to live there during it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 7:59:11 AM EDT
[#6]
I do most of the work on my own home.  On a couple of major remodels my wife left for at least a week while I did the demolition and rebuild.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 9:00:49 AM EDT
[#7]
It sucks. We had major remodeling done and stayed in improvised space in back room.
Moved all furniture to storage.
Some things we stored in our garage.
Caught one worker going through wifes purse, and several things went missing from boxes in garage.

We finally finished and I swear  never again.

If I were to do it again, I would just sell and buy new home.

Link Posted: 10/26/2016 9:03:32 AM EDT
[#8]
We stayed in our finished basement. My wife caught one of the painters searching  our medicine cabinet- He told her he  was looking for tylenol.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 9:04:32 AM EDT
[#9]
I lived in the filth.  It motivated me to get done
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top