Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2016 2:09:36 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 2:10:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Sure, why not? It's a wooden penetrator. I'd sharpen up a wooden kitchen spoon if necessary to dispatch a vampire.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 2:10:40 PM EDT
[#2]
As in a shotgun shell loaded with them and fired through the heart?

Yes

Also IBTP, lol

ETA, throw some silver slivers in there too... dual purpose round!
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 2:10:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Why is my Nike Apple 2 watch taking so longer to get delivered?
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 2:11:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sure, why not?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Word for word what i was coming in to post.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 2:11:38 PM EDT
[#5]
through and through - useless unless they remain lodged, iirc
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 2:13:18 PM EDT
[#6]
With enough velocity, and the right distance yes.

They just have to pierce the heart.  

So i would try to have someone hold him down with some garlic and a cross,  and shove the ol'double Biden home defense special where the sun don't shine, and blast those wooden flechettes throughout his chest cavity.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 2:13:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Well considering higher vampires can only be killed by other higher vampires.....no

Good luck on being devoured OP!
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 2:13:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Just because your AR-15 is the better home defense gun it doesn't mean you have to resort to outlandish excuses to get a shotgun.

You clearly want one.

Just buy it!

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 2:13:46 PM EDT
[#9]
In my experience they are only marginally useful.  Nothing tops the tried and true mallet and stake approach.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 2:14:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes.  If blessed by the Virgin Mary and St. Issas.  WW II German wood practice boolits would be ideal.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 2:15:39 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm sure toothpicks would work fine.  They're just miniature wooden stakes.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 2:16:11 PM EDT
[#12]
If fired through the heart of a notional vampire that can be killed by wood through the heart, yes, why not?
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 2:16:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Would bamboo count as wood for staking a vampire? If so, improvised bamboo pipe bombs for vampire room clearing?
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 2:16:45 PM EDT
[#14]
I'd say it would depend on if wood has to touch the heart or actually transfix (through and through) the heart.  If you have to spike all the way through, nope.  

Also, not sure how far light small toothpicks will fly while retaining the ability to pierce undead flesh and ribcage.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 2:17:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Why do you want to kill the vampire ?

Am I one of the first 10 ?
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 2:17:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Only really small vampires.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 2:17:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Depends on your personal fantasy.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 2:25:39 PM EDT
[#18]
I've got two 12g shells loaded with wooden toothpicks and two more with 18" hardwood dowels.  Bring it on.  Let's see you do that with a 5.56.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 2:32:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Wasn't the old myth that you had to use a stake made from a certain type of wood, and the purpose of the stake was to physically pin the vampire inside his coffin thus preventing him from rising from the dead again?
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 2:33:19 PM EDT
[#20]
The wooden flechettes actually have to get to the vampire's heart to kill them.  Wooden flechettes small enough to fit in a shotgun shell would have a horrible ballistic coefficient loosing energy fast.  They would start with minimal energy due to being so light.   Wood is less than 10% the density of lead so where a typical 1 oz 12 gauge rifle-slug (1760fps) has roughly 3000ft-lbs of energy at the muzzle.  The entire payload of flechettes would thus have less than 10% of that mass and thus less than 10% of the energy if launch at the same velocity.  Each flechette would have pellet gun type energies and due to the very low density would have nearly 10 times worst ballistic coefficient.  They would bleed kinetic energy supper fast    The flechettes could likely be stopped heavy clothing at all but nearly point blank ranges and would likely never penetrate the chest cavity even at point blank range.  Ballistics are still a bitch even when fighting preternatural critters.  There is a reason no one uses wood bullets.

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 2:34:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Wasn't the old myth that you had to use a stake made from a certain type of wood, and the purpose of the stake was to physically pin the vampire inside his coffin thus preventing him from rising from the dead again?
View Quote

This is my recollection from reading Dracula years ago.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 2:35:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I've got two 12g shells loaded with wooden toothpicks and two more with 18" hardwood dowels.  Bring it on.  Let's see you do that with a 5.56.
View Quote

You can with blank rounds on hand.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 2:35:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Depends on the Vampire variant.
Some, stakes make them go 'poof'. (See Buffy TVS)
Other types, heart impalation immobilizes them long enough for decapitation to occur. (See MHI)
Sunlight captured in a handkerchief was handy, once. (See Harry Dresden.)

Which world are you playing in, and what's your loadout? Base of operations? Threat level?

We need more details to properly prepare for your vampire catastrophe. Generally speaking, wood stakes, holy water, and a good machete are useful. Road flares for burning the remains.

Garlic just makes you tastier.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 2:35:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 2:35:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aww nuts.  Then it won't work.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 2:37:08 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

With enough velocity, and the right distance yes.

They just have to pierce the heart.  

So i would try to have someone hold him down with some garlic and a cross,  and shove the ol'double Biden home defense special where the sun don't shine, and blast those wooden flechettes throughout his chest cavity.
View Quote
So like a bangstick for sharks

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 2:38:59 PM EDT
[#27]
No, because my experience with the steel flechettes in shotgun shells showed that they all tumbled out of the barrel and I had them all keyholing, hitting with the fins, etc.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 2:41:17 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
What if you were using a very dense wood like ebony or purpleheart?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The wooden flechettes actually have to get to the vampire's heart to kill them.  Wooden flechettes small enough to fit in a shotgun shell would have a horrible ballistic coefficient loosing energy fast.  They would start with minimal energy due to being so light.   Wood is less than 10% the density of lead so where a typical 1 oz 12 gauge rifle-slug (1760fps) has roughly 3000ft-lbs of energy at the muzzle.  The entire payload of flechettes would thus have less than 10% of that mass and thus less than 10% of the energy if launch at the same velocity.  Each flechette would have pellet gun type energies and due to the very low density would have nearly 10 times worst ballistic coefficient.  They would bleed kinetic energy supper fast    The flechettes could likely be stopped heavy clothing at all but nearly point blank ranges and would likely never penetrate the chest cavity even at point blank range.  Ballistics are still a bitch even when fighting preternatural critters.  There is a reason no one uses wood bullets.

Ebony is almost exactly 10% the density of lead.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 2:51:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Like anything else, there are multiple versions of the same thing.

Vampires are higher undead, given powers through a demonic/alchemical curse.  Stuff like zombies and other lower undead are powered by simple biology - the zombie necrovirus, or similar.

Because vampires are powered by a curse, the way to destroy them is, of course, to break the curse.

Exposure to sunlight physically harms the body.  Physical attacks can also hurt them, but they regenerate very quickly so it's not easy to overcome them this way.  Holy water can burn them, too, but again, it's a physical attack that they can recover from.

Staking the heart shuts down the blood flow, which prevents the curse from operating.  It "unplugs" the vampire.  But it's still a physical attack that they could, if the stake were removed, recover from.

To truly "kill" a vampire, you must remove the head and turn everything to ash.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 2:54:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Probably, but....

According to my research the most effective means is actually decapitation. I believe that's how they took down Dracula in the original novel by Bram Stoker, a Texan cut his head off with a Bowie Knife.

According to Transylvanian legends an iron spike was more effective than a wooden stake.

As for silver bullets, silver doesn't properly engage rifling. It needs to be either a silver alloy or a silver filled hollow point. Preferably blessed by a priest or something.

Silver buckshot is also an option.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 2:55:14 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Discuss.
View Quote
They wouldn't survive the g-shock
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 2:55:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Purpleheart is also toxic to humans. If I have to use wood I'm going to use that.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 2:57:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Guess you didn't watch Count Duckula.  

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:02:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

A C02 spear gun would likely be a more effective choice.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:10:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Would bamboo count as wood for staking a vampire? If so, improvised bamboo pipe bombs for vampire room clearing?
View Quote

Bamboo is actually a grass...
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:11:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Came to post this.  It'd be fun to watch the vampire try to writhe and wiggle its way out of that.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:11:29 PM EDT
[#37]
You have to cut off the head. It's the only way, unless you have Samuel Colt's Colt.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:15:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

This.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Too bad someone couldn't mount a speargun under the barrel of an ar-15.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:16:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Anita Blake uses a shotgun loaded with silver buckshot.

She has the highest number of vampire kills in the U.S.

She will take the head too on older vampires, or Masters.

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:18:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
You have to cut off the head. It's the only way, unless you have Samuel Colt's Colt.
View Quote

Nailed it
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:19:50 PM EDT
[#41]
too light

like toothpicks flying around
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:21:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Maybe. Would have to be a heart shot. I would rather use hollow points filled with silver nitrate and garlic.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:25:05 PM EDT
[#43]
of course, silly question
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:26:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

it is the act of binding the undead to the earth. flatchette round doesn't do that.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:29:09 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
it is the act of binding the undead to the earth. flatchette round doesn't do that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Duh, thats what anchor shots are for

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 4:24:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Flechettes are too light to do appreciable damage. Wooden ones would shatter and spray, with minimal impact. You need a big stake through the heart. Think crossbow bolt.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:19:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:20:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Certainly
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:21:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Knot a chance.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top