Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2016 8:41:13 AM EDT
So I went in for my annual eye exam last week. The optometrist said my scrip hadn't changed and then asked if I wanted to order a 6-moth supply of contacts for $2X over what I normally ordered from Walmart Contacts for $1X.

I have not told optometrist to order yet...

They get all butt-hurt when you ask them for your prescription and take it somewhere else, but the markup epic stupid PLUS the optometrist never tells you that they're going to add $15-$20 for shipping so the total will be even more. Most internet suppliers don't charge for shipping.

Is there even a question to this?

I've always had good luck with ordering contacts on the net. Should I feel guilty for NOT paying my local optometrist a 100% markup?

The opinion of this esteemed forum is greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 8:45:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't care. You paid them for their service. Take your RX and go to Walmart. That's what I do. If you feel that bad about it you can always say you need to wait to make sure your eyes are going to adjust to the contacts before spending that much money on a 6 month supply. Then go to Walmart and they can request your RX if you didn't get it from your Optometrist.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 8:46:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Fuck em.
They know how much you can get them for. If they aren't going to make an effort to be competitive it is their fault.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 8:49:04 AM EDT
[#3]
No you shouldn't just like I don't feel bad buying ammo or guns online instead of at the LGS
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:00:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Is OP being serious?  

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:01:49 AM EDT
[#5]
I had a eye exam last week. After the Optometrist was done, they handed me my Prescription and asked if I wanted to order new contacts. I said yes, and they came in yesterday. Didn't cost me anything.

Good Insurance is what you need OP
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:11:02 AM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

The insurance my company switched to is crap.  If I order from my optometrist they will cover $150 towards the cost of contacts.  However, I ordered from 1-800-Contacts and they only covered $100.  WTF, the product is the same.  The insurance company told me they were "out of network".  First off, bullshit, the largest supplier of contacts in the country is out of network.  Second, the insurance covered a flat rate towards a medical device, in network or out of network should not fucking matter on a flat rate item.  Now if they were covering a percentage of the cost, sure I could see that but not flat rate.

I am not looking forward to see what terrible insurance the lazy ass benefit provider gets out company this year.  We hire some firm to coordinate our benefits and they do the worst job I have ever seen in my 22 years of working and getting benefits.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:12:20 AM EDT
[#7]
First time I order got contacts I got them at the office. They were surprised and asked if I was sure I wanted to order them there.

Second time I ordered them I got them at 1800contacts and got a year supply and got a $60 rebate check and free shipping.  Don't recall exactly how much I saved before the rebate but I did save some money ordering online over ordering at the office.

Another plus for me was not having to go to the office to pick them up.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:18:54 AM EDT
[#8]
I wouldn't pay double price!

A few bucks more yes, paying for the convene.

I don't go to Chinamart often but the stuff I do get there is definitely cheaper.
That's where I get my contacts from.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:22:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I had a eye exam last week. After the Optometrist was done, they handed me my Prescription and asked if I wanted to order new contacts. I said yes, and they came in yesterday. Didn't cost me anything.

View Quote

How much do you pay for your insurance?
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:24:42 AM EDT
[#10]
I've been using lensmart.com for many, many years now.  Works great for me.  I usually order 4 boxes at a time, which works out to roughly 6 months of contacts.  As long as I order just before my prescription expires, then I can get roughly 1.5 years worth of contacts before having to go get a new prescription.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:27:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Fuck em.
They know how much you can get them for. If they aren't going to make an effort to be competitive it is their fault.
View Quote

This.

They already run a racket by making you get a new prescription every year.  My prescription hasn't changed since I was in high school.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:31:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Unless you are having vision insurance subsidized by your employer, it is actually cheaper to simply pay cash for your exams using optometrists at big box stores and then purchase glasses/contacts online than it is to pay insurance premiums.

OP, check VisionPros.com for contacts. I believe that's who I used last and they ask you to input your prescription and there is no need to verify the script with your doc because they are based in Canada. Save you an eye exam if your script isn't changing often.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:31:21 AM EDT
[#13]
My insurance covers my contacts for the year, so this hasn't been an issue, yet.

Although VisionPros has my lenses for WAAAAAAY cheaper than I've been paying.

Maybe next time I'll go to the Walmart eye doc for my updated script then buy from here...

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:32:59 AM EDT
[#14]
my optometrist encourages me to order online.  

i use 1-800-contacts.com
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:35:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:36:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

This.

They already run a racket by making you get a new prescription every year.  My prescription hasn't changed since I was in high school.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck em.

This.

Not trying to defend them, but if you wear contacts then it's important to have your eyes checked regularly for problems that wearing contacts create.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:36:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
my optometrist encourages me to order online.  

i use 1-800-contacts.com
View Quote

They are owned by Wal-Mart.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:57:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Depends.  

If you have a difficult prescription like I did, which frequently required custom fitting and re-ordering to dial them in correctly, I paid him his markup and he provided that as part of the service.

If you have a run of the mill, off the shelf prescription without that need, you can seek better pricing if you want.

I wouldn't blame him for prioritizing patients who order from him, though.  He has a business to run, and that markup is one of the ways he keeps his doors open.  Especially if you are using some sort of vision insurance, which generally doesn't pay shit for exams.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:58:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Is she hot?
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 10:02:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

This.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck em.

This.

I always wondered about that. They act like lenses are friggin' opiates or something. I do not understand why curved glass (or contact material for contacts) is regulated like a drug.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 10:16:49 AM EDT
[#21]
1-800-CONTACTS is great.

use them.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 10:20:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I always wondered about that. They act like lenses are friggin' opiates or something. I do not understand why curved glass (or contact material for contacts) is regulated like a drug.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck em.

This.

Because, like any other health profession, they can be held liable for negligence/malpractice for failing to perform due diligence.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 10:23:56 AM EDT
[#23]
COSTCO
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 10:54:49 AM EDT
[#24]
I finally got my eyes checked after losing my glasses.

I told the glasses sales person at the Optometrist office I want cheap, it's a weak Rx I virtually never wear and my 2yo might get ahold of them, so they show me about the cheapest they have $160 for the frames and keep pushing more expensive ones.

Go to Wally world, same frames, $100 out the door.

Online same frames, $39 + $3 shipping.

No brainer. I like my eye doc, but they're gonna have to be happy making their money off exams and foreign object removal.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 10:58:42 AM EDT
[#25]
They offer to sell contacts, glasses, and frames for your convenience, but if you don't mind doing your own shopping, you can save a lot somewhere else.

I wouldn't feel the slightest bit obligated to buy there.

Kinda like buying motor oil, wiper blades, and leather cleaner from the car dealership.  Sure, they'll sell it to you, but you won't get a good price.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top