BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2003 2:41:13 PM EDT
[soapbox]
If you hand that minor your AR to fire a few supervised rounds at the range,
(class 6 felony).

What you should know first.

Here in Arizona since 1994,a minor generally can only have or use a firearm if accompaanied by a parent, grandparent or gaurdian.
Exceptions are, while carring written consent from a parent or gaurdian (who is not a prohibited possessor, a minor may have a gun;
1. In the course of employment.[ss13-3111]

2. In legitimate ranching or farming.

3. For target practice.

4. For hunting.

5. For a class in the safe  and lawful use of a gun.

6. For transport, unloaded in a locked case, directly to and from such activities.

To comply with the new FEDERAL RULE , you should make sure your minor children have a written note from you, that they must carry with them anytime they are involved in the shooting sports, even if they are accompanied by you.

[ss13-3111] is the only state statute that does not apply to the whole state.

It applies only in counties with a population of 500,000 or more. i.e. Maricopa and Pima.

It would not have passed otherwise, nor should it have passed in the first place,IMHO.

Notice how they make exceptions for hunting and sports.

This is the kind of crap that will split gun owners on the second ammendment.

Hunters use the "it does not affect me excuse"

But we know different,i.e. Bolt action/ sniper rifle, semi auto/assault rifle= banned firearms.

[soapbox]

Link Posted: 6/21/2003 2:50:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Let me guess, your a minor?
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 2:52:03 PM EDT
[#2]
so whats the problem beside being a stupid law why couldn't I just hand a minor a gun inside my house its not like the cops will bust in.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 5:23:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
so whats the problem beside being a stupid law why couldn't I just hand a minor a gun inside my house its not like the cops will bust in.
View Quote

I would not be to sure on that one.

No,i am an old fart.

I posted this to Inform people of the change in the laws.

Most have no clue about them thus we loose our freedoms by inaction.

Legislatures are notorious for passing these types of laws in the middle of the night and keeping them quiet.

Another chink in our armor.

Link Posted: 6/21/2003 5:31:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
[soapbox]
(class 6 felony).

3. For target practice.
View Quote

Doesn't number 3 negate what you originally said?
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 12:42:08 PM EDT
[#5]
That's why I carry an autographed note from my mom that even specifies which weapons I may transport and provides contact information.  BTW, Pima County voted the law unconstitutional so it is not inforced in the courts down here.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 1:32:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
[soapbox]
(class 6 felony).

3. For target practice.
View Quote

Doesn't number 3 negate what you originally said?
View Quote

Only if the Minor has the Note on their person.

This law is NOT enforced.

It is used to control Gangs and problem youngsters mostly.

I just thought people in less gun friendly states might want to check their local Statutes.

Go to [url]http://www.packing.org/[/url] for a lot of great info on laws and conceal carry.

Link Posted: 6/22/2003 1:37:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
That's why I carry an autographed note from my mom that even specifies which weapons I may transport and provides contact information.  BTW, Pima County voted the law unconstitutional so it is not inforced in the courts down here.
View Quote

Hey CC ,I'm not trying to piss on your parade but you don't really believe you can be in possession of a gun by your self do you?
I mean just you and the note from mom?
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 2:32:07 PM EDT
[#8]
[red]Under preemption ss 13-3108, localities in Arizona can decide to adopt standardized state rules concerning juveniles.  If they chose not to, then their minors would be free to bear arms, as long as no criminal conduct is involved, subject only to federal controls listed below.[/red]  The state rules for minors allowed under preemption are:

A minor who is not with a parent, grandparent, gurdian, or properly authorized firearms safety instructor or hunting safety instructor can be banned by local authorities from having a firearm on themselves, near them, or in a vehicle, on a street or highway, or in any place open to the public, or on private property, unless the private property is owned or leased by the minor's parent, grandparent, or guardian.  [red]Those authorities cannot make any such law for minors who are 14 to 17 years old who are:[/red]

[red]Legally hunting, at shooting events, or at marksmenship practice at established ranges or areas where shooting is not prohibited;[/red]

[red]Legally transporting unloaded firearms to go hunting;[/red]

[red]Legally transporting unloaded firearms between 5 a.m. and 10 p.m. to go to a shooting event or marksmenship practice at an established range or areas where shooting is not prohibited;[/red]

Engaged in producing crops, livestock or poultry or related products, ratites (flightless birds such as ostrich or emu[:)]), or storage of agricultural products.

A separate education statute (ss15-841) says that possession, display or use of a firearm by a pupil is grounds for expulsion from school at the discretion of authorities on a case-by-case basis.  In addition, a person found to be delinquent loses the right to possess a firearm (ss13-904), and cannot have one for at least 10 years (ss13-3113).  Minors are also affected by gun rules that must be made by public schools under ss13-2911.

Federal rules below, from the 1994 Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act, are in addition to state laws.

[size=4]Federal Regulation of Juveniles[/size=4]

Derived from Arizona law, federal law generally prohibits people under 18 from having handguns or matching ammunition, or providing the same to juveniles, with some exceptions and requirements:

[red]While carrying written consent from parent or guardian (who isn't a prohibited possessor), minors may have a handgun:[/red]

1-in the course of employment;
2-in legitimate ranching or farming;
[red]3-for target practice;[/red]
[red]4-for hunting;[/red]
5-for a class in the safe and lawful use of a handgun; and
[red]6-for transport, unloaded in a locked case, directly to and from such activities.[/red]

[red]To comply with the new federal rule, you should make sure your minor children have a written note from you, that they must carry with them anytime they are involved in the shooting sports, even if they are accompanied by you.[/red]

An exception also exists for a minor who uses a handgun against an intruder, at home or in another home where the minor is an invited guest.

If a handgun or ammo is legally transferred to a minor, who then commits an offense with the firearm, the firearm must be returned to its lawful owner after due process.  Minors may inherit title (but not possession) of a handgun.  Violation of this law carries fines and a one-year jail term.
View Quote

Taken directly from [u]The Arizona Gun Owners Guide:  Who can bear arms?  Where are guns forbidden?  When can you shoot to kill?[/u], by Alan Korwin.

Arizona is waaaaaay different from New Jersey pal.  I'm not allowed to cruise the city with a gun in my vehicle but I am allowed to transport a firearm [b]directly[/b] to a location where shooting is not prohibited.  I can also do this for hunting.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 3:04:31 PM EDT
[#9]
1. It is therefore be illegal to mumble gurgle mufkgnjslj  sjdj kspJELM ;Kjrel pa;l;la[l
sl[lald[lfjo  ppss [lwe pierkmlk pkwpe.

a. If the child jfnik ojdffa ppa [pkspaap

b. Or the child's Jskj pojkelrkjf lkpsld [pla[ld[[a[a plad[lejf   apoald[ a[poal

2. We lawmakers are jackoff ojkskd unrealistic hsidf ihfp dsiadih idiots sksihf our head's up our dffes.

a. We try and make laws so freaking confusing that it's not only impossible to follow but impossible to enforce.

b. Furthermore, skhjoirf oaos [sk ][lkedp [[[s,dps[ld[ [;s[d   spdalpqk osd;.

c. On the other hand woskrp [ps [aprks; pod[al [sd[aldk efidfhh rwqaeiut.

d. Meanwhile nfkdsn akdda [pad;elw palsl p[leds]an[]psd';  sp[dd[ s;ld>
3. If you don't like the laws kfhi ojaokjs opksd[pkal plkdfal p[lad[ladf [[s[ [adlf[.

a. We make, tough cookies skjdoijafdpo akpsk pkafd' pla]ldwsp []ld [lsd[la [s[ [pkds[.

b. Because we're all lifers isfdh ojkd poekak apka pladp p]ladn][olsls[ [[la; splkda/.

c. Here in congress skj rqpu dkf[ak [kfkdf;k 'alsk[pkl l[sl;  []ald[l;/.

d. We are never leaving soijdfkjf skl;a [ldld ]ladasldf.

4. Mumble, gurgle, snort, fondle staffers breast, entice young intern, freeload, ignore constituents................

You have to be a freaking lawyer to understand that mumbo jumbo. What EXACTLY is it I cannot do?
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 3:16:02 PM EDT
[#10]
LOL

I have to reccommend these Alan Korwin books man, very understandable material and he quotes the actual laws in the back.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top