Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/21/2003 2:34:32 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 2:39:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice work keeping a cool head, [b]DoubleFeed[/b]. I too am constantly amazed at the complete fog that most people seem to be in when out and about. The self-absorbed sheep will only intervene in an emergency if it's [i]convenient[/i] for them.

Hope the little girl turns out OK, and hope the mother knows not to put the kid in the basket part of the cart again - that's what the seat is for.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 2:47:27 PM EDT
[#2]
[beer]

not too many help out as you said.. sad...

It would be nice if everyone took basic CPR and First aid and wasn't affraid to do anything to help someone..

it's getting so bad that people won't even acknowledge other people when you say "HI".. [:(]
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 3:05:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I am almost the ONLY person to keep focused during an emergency and it NEVER ceases to amaze me.  Sometimes I feel like a jerk that I seem to be the only one that can assess the situation, respond to it and give clear instructions to those around me.  If someone is already in control, it's natural for me assist that person.

About a year before my mom passed away she slipped and fell while outside, struck her head and couldn't get up.  I was asleep on the other side of the house so I couldn't hear her call for help.  One of the neighbors across the street happened to spot her and came to assist.  She opened the door and yelled what happened,  I woke immediately and came running.

As I did a quick eval to make sure mom wasn't having difficulty breathing and that there was no excessive bleeding or other injuries, the neighbor just stood their hovering.  I asked the neighbor to please grab a blanket from the house (mom had been on the ground for nearly 30 minutes and was showing signs of shock).  She gave me a deer in the headlights "huh?".  I repeated the request and got the same response.  I then thought "fuck it".  I said, “YOU call 911, I'LL get the blanket” and got “You want me to do what?”

At this point I realized that I might as well be talking to a turnip, ran in the house, grabbed a comforter and the phone and called 911 while I got her covered.

To this day I can see that slack-jawed, glazed eyed look on the neighbors face.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 3:22:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Most folks are mindless rocks during an emergency.  Three weeks ago my family and I were vacationing at a waterpark when a patron pulled a lifeless girl from the water.  My wife, a certified CPR instructor took control of the situation.  She chose someone SPECIFICALLY (never yell for "someone" to call 911 - nobody will move) to ask them to call 911 - they stood there with their thumb up their ass.  She chose someone else - they did the same.  "Lifeguards" were f*cking useless - did nothing.  I gave two managers a fervent dressing down that Gunny Hartman would have been proud of - the staff was useless.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 3:50:09 PM EDT
[#5]
good work. i hope it was apprecaited. but such a sad state when we are surrounded by so many useless morons.

and the idea of specifically choosing a person for 911 is a good one. i like to take it a step further though and tell them to come back and confirm that a unit is on the way.

Link Posted: 6/21/2003 4:00:09 PM EDT
[#6]
A while back, I was closing the back door. I have a habit of putting my hand on the pane of glass and pushing on it to close the door and lock it.

That night, my hand goes through the glass. I yell out "son-of-a-bi*ch".

My daughter, then about 11-12 comes running into the kitchen, looks at my hand covered in blood and runs to the bathroom.

She comes running back with gauze, peroxide, tape, band-aids.

I was so proud.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 4:12:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Reminds me of one day I was working in the ER, about four doctors were standing in a circle around a really sick young female patient. She got dizzy and started to fall. I was walking by and dove for her, and got my hand under her head an inch before it hit the floor. Not one of the doctors had moved at all. One of them managed to say,"Nice catch." I was pretty hot after that.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 4:17:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
A while back, I was closing the back door. I have a habit of putting my hand on the pane of glass and pushing on it to close the door and lock it.

That night, my hand goes through the glass. I yell out "son-of-a-bi*ch".

My daughter, then about 11-12 comes running into the kitchen, looks at my hand covered in blood and runs to the bathroom.

She comes running back with gauze, peroxide, tape, band-aids.

I was so proud.
View Quote

You have a right; another "lights on, [b]someone[/b] home!

Larry
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 4:23:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm always amazed at the amount of people that will keep driving immediately after they just witnessed a bad traffic accident.  They may not know CPR or be of much use, but if they're gonna stop and rubberneck anyways, the least they could do is ask if they can help.  

I've got so many examples of people just freezing and being useless that it makes me angry thinking about it.  I've even seen cops freeze and be useless, which was kinda disheartening.  

I guess the major reason why people freeze is that they never have encountered the situation before, and never think they will, so they never plan any course of action for any emergency.  Thus, when something happens, their mind shuts off because there's no response.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 4:55:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Give the mom hell for not watching her better when you're being deposed for the civil suit against Walmart that's bound to happen.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 5:17:32 PM EDT
[#11]
And Momma and the kid will be Millionaires within a year!
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 5:38:52 PM EDT
[#12]
OK, this is going back a little while...
There was a car wreck close to my house and several people had minor injuries.  It was mostly minor cuts from shattered glass (1 or 2 stitches per cut type) and bruises.  After about 15 minutes of me treating/bandaging the victims (3 teen age girls and one guy) the ambulance finally shows up.  One of the girls complained about a sore neck and headache when I arrived.  I told her to immediately lie down and monitored vitals as I was bandaging the cuts on the others.  When the ambulance arrives, I give them the heads up and stop to let them take over.  The para's start asking me for supplies (I maintained an awesome first aid kit that would put most paramedic kits to shame).  These guys didn't even have any Covan.  (self adhesive wrap to use on bandages instead of tape or clips)  One of the  para's tells the obvious whiplash victim to get up, walk into the house which was about 100' away and lie down on the floor.  I yell stop, don't move.  Told the para to get a C collar (which is the one thing I don't carry due to the expense and liability) and a back board and she is not to move.  He treated her as I instructed and they hauled them off to the hospital.  A few days later I hear from a LEO neighbor that I have known since high school that the "whiplash" victim did indeed have a cracked atlas joint and a minor fracture of her C-3 vertebrae.  The para's were both put on probation.  3 Weeks later I get a check in the mail from the city for $150 to replace the materials that the Para's borrowed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top