Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2016 11:16:12 PM EDT
I just did a mobo/CPU swap from an old ASRock & i5-2500k to a ASUS Z170A & i7-6700k.
Before I started the swap, I went through the Computer Management and deleted all old drivers I could find.
When I boot the PC up it is asking me if I want to boot Windows normally (does not work, get a blue screen with a bunch of text for a half a second then it reboots), or it asks if I want to try and System Repair.
System Repair basically does the same thing, tries to boot then blue screens and resets.
I read sometimes deleting all the drivers wont work and a clean OS install is required.
So my question is, at this point do I need to reinstall the OS? I've tried unplugging my SDD with the old Windows 7 OS and tried reinstalling Windows 7 but none of the hard drives will let me download it.
I'm guessing at this point I need to go buy a new copy of Windows 10 and try a fresh install?
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:18:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Often times simply installing a new motherboard requires a reinstall of Windows. I used a program called Paragon, which allowed me to go from an older ASUS/AMD based system to a MSI/Intel one easily without reinstalling Win 7. But you need to do that prior.

If you have the CD key you can do a clean install.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:29:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Often times simply installing a new motherboard requires a reinstall of Windows. I used a program called Paragon, which allowed me to go from an older ASUS/AMD based system to a MSI/Intel one easily without reinstalling Win 7. But you need to do that prior.

View Quote

So I still have the original disc/CD key, and I'm trying to reinstall from disc and I get to the "Where do you want to install Windows" screen and when it lists my HDD's it won't let me install to any of the drives?

Reason: "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks."

I have no idea what that means?

Do I need to try and format my SDD that has Windows currently installed on it?
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:30:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:31:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Did you try restarting?

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:32:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

So I still have the original disc/CD key, and I'm trying to reinstall from disc and I get to the "Where do you want to install Windows" screen and when it lists my HDD's it won't let me install to any of the drives?

Reason: "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks."

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unfortunately, yes.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:32:52 PM EDT
[#6]
An alternative explanation could be you may have damaged one of your RAM sticks in the swap. Occasionally will cause BSOD. It's worth a shot to shut down, unplug all of them and then plug in one at a time and try to boot.

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:33:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It seems like you are going a bit outside your skill level with this.

Before you do anything else, did you back up your data?
View Quote

Maybe, maybe not. I've built 3 PC's, never tried swapping mobo/CPU's.

Anything that is important to me is stored on a separate Hard Drive.

My SSD is what has the OS on it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:34:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
An alternative explanation could be you may have damaged one of your RAM sticks in the swap. Occasionally will cause BSOD. It's worth a shot to shut down, unplug all of them and then plug in one at a time and try to boot.

View Quote

I bought 2 new sticks for this MOBO.

I can give this a shot though.

I also have other Ram I could use.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:35:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Are you using DDR3 RAM on a DDR4 CPU?
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:35:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Did you try restarting?

View Quote

It's restarted many times... on it's own.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:35:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:35:33 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

...So my question is, at this point do I need to reinstall the OS?...
View Quote

You have arrived.

I have never successfully transferred a copy of Windows to a new motherboard with a completely different chipset than it was running on.  Not even close.

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:35:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Are you using DDR3 RAM on a DDR4 CPU?
View Quote

Negative.

DDR4
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:38:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:39:04 PM EDT
[#15]
When Windows is installed it uses the hardware enumeration to set up a hash that locks that particular installation of Windows to the hardware. Changing the motherboard/CPU forces Windows outside of the allowable deviation from the hash. It thinks you're trying to install the HDD in a new computer and get around the license.

You'll need to reinstall, and when you activate it might require a phone call to Microsoft. If the version of Windows you have was preinstalled on a PC, you aren't allowed to move it to a new PC. If your version was purchased separately, you can move it to new hardware.

Anyhow, you'll need to format your boot drive and do a clean reinstall.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:40:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
When Windows is installed it uses the hardware enumeration to set up a hash that locks that particular installation of Windows to the hardware. Changing the motherboard/CPU forces Windows outside of the allowable deviation from the hash. It thinks you're trying to install the HDD in a new computer and get around the license.

You'll need to reinstall, and when you activate it might require a phone call to Microsoft. If the version of Windows you have was preinstalled on a PC, you aren't allowed to move it to a new PC. If your version was purchased separately, you can move it to new hardware.

View Quote

Thank you guys.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:41:13 PM EDT
[#17]

The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks."
View Quote

MBR is the old way of recognizing disks.  UEFI is the new and better way.  Get yourself a New hard drive and retry.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:42:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are going to need to do a fresh install on your SSD and you want to format the old partitions on the SSD before you do that.
I would advise you just go W10 because it is so easy but W7 should work.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:47:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Thank you guys.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you guys.

Preinstalled Windows will probably only work on the hardware that it was installed on.  If it's like a Dell, then you will only have the drivers and other stuff that is needed for THAT hardware.  If it's a disk directly from Microsoft, then you should be able to do a Clean install from scratch.  But like he said, you may still have to call Microsoft and tell them that you are exchanging the Motherboard and that the OS is not being used on another system.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:51:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Preinstalled Windows will probably only work on the hardware that it was installed on.  If it's like a Dell, then you will only have the drivers and other stuff that is needed for THAT hardware.  If it's a disk directly from Microsoft, then you should be able to do a Clean install from scratch.  But like he said, you may still have to call Microsoft and tell them that you are exchanging the Motherboard and that the OS is not being used on another system.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you guys.

Not a Dell, it's a gaming rig I built.

I'm installing Windows now, guessing I'm going to need to call MSoft to activate it.  I'll have to get them to activate my Office anyways..
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:57:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I'm installing Windows now, guessing I'm going to need to call MSoft to activate it.  I'll have to get them to activate my Office anyways..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you guys.

You have 30 days to do that.  So you might want to wait and see if it works right.  If not, you might have to re-install and it's just easier to wait a couple of weeks before activating it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:57:55 PM EDT
[#22]
I've got Windows reinstalled.

Thanks for the help everyone.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:58:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you guys.

Did you install it as an MBR or a UEFI?
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 12:02:57 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

You have arrived.

I have never successfully transferred a copy of Windows to a new motherboard with a completely different chipset than it was running on.  Not even close.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You have arrived.

I've upgraded to a new motherboard/CPU combo with a different chipset many times and never had to reinstall the OS. once did I have to contact Microsoft to get the activation key to accept the new installation

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 12:08:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Frankly, I'm aghast that you thought fucking the working OS before swapping the hardware was the best course of action.

Where did you get the idea that "deleting old drivers" was part of the hardware swap?

Not that it makes much difference.

You can get the OS to run on a UEFI BIOS, you just need to set it back to legacy\MBR (in most cases) and it should pick it back up.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 12:09:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You have arrived.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have arrived.

I've done it at least a few dozen times, mostly without issue.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 12:15:24 AM EDT
[#27]
When you were prompted by windows to select the harddrive you want to install windows on, you needed to open command prompt and change your ssd back to GPT.
I had this same issue last year and after installing windows to an ssd formatted in MBR I ran into issues a few weeks later and ended up having to reinstall windows again. I suggest you do the same.

To change a master boot record disk into a GUID partition table disk using a command line

Back up or move the data on the basic master boot record (MBR) disk you want to convert into a GUID partition table (GPT) disk.

Open an elevated command prompt (right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator) and type diskpart. If the disk does not contain any partitions or volumes, skip to step 6.

At the DISKPART prompt, type list disk. Make note of the disk number you want to convert.

At the DISKPART prompt, type select disk <disknumber>.

At the DISKPART prompt, type clean.
   ImportantImportant
   Running the clean command will delete all partitions or volumes on the disk.

At the DISKPART prompt, type convert gpt.

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 12:39:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Frankly, I'm aghast that you thought fucking the working OS before swapping the hardware was the best course of action.

Where did you get the idea that "deleting old drivers" was part of the hardware swap?

You can get the OS to run on a UEFI BIOS, you just need to set it back to legacy\MBR (in most cases) and it should pick it back up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Read that deleting drivers from your current MOBO was a way to try and install the new hardware without reinstalling your OS.

Doesn't matter, had to reinstall OS, lost some shit, but PC is up and running now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top