Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2016 7:18:20 PM EDT
Trying to mount some baby monitors (twins boys!) in a room with power in less than ideal locations.  Looking to replace factory power supplies with units that will 'match' the OEM units and not burn the house down.  Someone help me

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 7:22:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Match the input and output specs.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 7:44:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you just wanting longer cords? If so I'd just splice in some wire of the same gauge.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 7:48:08 PM EDT
[#3]
output 5v, 1a (1000ma), center positive -- pretty normal.

Once you have the voltage and amperage matched up, the only challenge is the right size plug on the end.

Are you at all handy with wire crimps, soldering, electical tape, etc? Unless the feed wire is really tiny (not unlikely) the idea to splice in extra wire is a good one. You could probably get away with 18 to 20 guage 2 speaker wire.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 7:49:20 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Are you just wanting longer cords? If so I'd just splice in some wire of the same gauge.
View Quote
If you're adding length, you really want to jump up a little in gauge. Resistance losses can be a right bitch over distances.

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 8:34:24 PM EDT
[#5]
5v 1a is the voltage of any USB based charger wall wart. Look for any replacement USB based charger on Amazon where there are literally thousands of choices.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 8:40:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes I'm looking for longer length

I can splice wires together

Does having a larger gauge section in the middle of two smaller gauge sections cause a problem?  I'm looking to add about 10-15 feet to each plug
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 8:42:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Does having a larger gauge section in the middle of two smaller gauge sections cause a problem?  I'm looking to add about 10-15 feet to each plug
View Quote

It's won't cause a problem but will be of no benefit either. If you aren't going a hundred feet, the losses will be very minimal.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 8:43:13 PM EDT
[#8]
You're looking at 5watts of juice, nearly any wire that you can reliably splice at home will carry that for 20'.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 8:47:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Buy extensions from Amazon!
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 10:32:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Buy extensions from Amazon!
View Quote

This would be the easiest!
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 7:47:24 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

It's won't cause a problem but will be of no benefit either. If you aren't going a hundred feet, the losses will be very minimal.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Resistance losses can be very, very surprising. Assuming that this adapter is using typical 22g wire in the cord, extending it 20 feet will drop the output voltage 13%. (drop calc link here)
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 7:59:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Why not just use an extension cord on the 120v side?  Tape the connection together with quality 33+ tape so the kids can't pull it apart.

You will only be using the monitor for a short time anyway.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 10:37:43 AM EDT
[#14]
OP ever hear of a thing called an Extension cord?
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 10:50:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Resistance losses can be very, very surprising. Assuming that this adapter is using typical 22g wire in the cord, extending it 20 feet will drop the output voltage 13%. (drop calc link here)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, loses can get big in a hurry under certain conditions. Even at that, he should still be within the operating threshold of the circuitry for the distance he wants to go. Generally, power supplies included with anything are overrated a little bit on current output to provide some cushion.  He'll  want to look at the devices power requirements to know for sure.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 10:53:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Does the camera side had a power sticker?  If input is 5v 500mah you are GTG.  If it ia 5V  1000mah you want to bump it up to 1500 mah or so.  You can bump up the mah without issue, make sure voltage and polarity are correct.

Having said that,be very careful with cheap chinese power supplies.  It is not unusual for a 5v PS to be putting out 7+ volts.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 10:55:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Wonder why the monitors use a switching supply instead of a standard inductive transformer wall wart..? Anyone know?
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 10:57:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Wonder why the monitors use a switching supply instead of a standard inductive transformer wall wart..? Anyone know?
View Quote

Cost.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 11:02:21 AM EDT
[#19]
You need 5 volts with a minimum 1 amp of current DC supply.

Doesn't have to be a switch mode supply, can be anything that provides those specs...
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 11:16:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Cost.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cost.

Ahh, so cost of copper driven?
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 11:19:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cost.

Yeah. The cost of an IC and a few components are cheaper than the old wound transformers. Used to be the other way around when ICs first came on the scene. A switching chip probably costs a few cents now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top