Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/21/2003 11:48:48 AM EDT
im lookin for the actual status on AUTO KNIVES..not what ya think the law is, or ya heard that it is this or that..i wanna see the actual updated law..there is ALOT of rumors as to the law,, and i dont wanna be the one they make an example of..lol..thanks for playing
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 11:54:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Here is the deal.

There is a old florida law regarding "spring knives." These are the ballistic knives that fired a spring loaded blade up to about 30 feet that were breifly available in the early 80s.

Recently some butt nugget has "interpreted" that law to refer to auto knives.

Nobody has chellenged it yet that I am aware of. Also not aware of anyone being convicted for their auto knife under the spring knife law.

When one happens the other will likely follow. But until then we have a "let's see what happens" situation.

But to answer your question there is NO Florida law specifically outlawing auto knives. There are also no recent laws pertaining to either ballistic knives or auto knives.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 12:01:06 PM EDT
[#2]
yeah some of the stories that i heard were as followe:

1.) gun show ppl got tickets for selling at gunshow

2.) its illegal to own

3.) its not illegal to own, but illegal to carry (even with permit)

4.) if ya get in an eye brow raising situation, and ya arent a dork or weird or an ass to the LEO,,they will maybe look the other way (my thought on this is, they dont know the law either)

this is why im lookin for solid info,,benchmade makes sum pretty wicked auto knives, i carry spring assist now, and its jus a convience for me. oh well..any suggestions as to whom i can contact with the proper answers???
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 12:18:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
yeah some of the stories that i heard were as followe:

1.) gun show ppl got tickets for selling at gunshow

2.) its illegal to own

3.) its not illegal to own, but illegal to carry (even with permit)

4.) if ya get in an eye brow raising situation, and ya arent a dork or weird or an ass to the LEO,,they will maybe look the other way (my thought on this is, they dont know the law either)

this is why im lookin for solid info,,benchmade makes sum pretty wicked auto knives, i carry spring assist now, and its jus a convience for me. oh well..any suggestions as to whom i can contact with the proper answers???
View Quote

1-3 are bullshit, except for I think #1 happened in WPB due to a local county law. Still may have never happened.

4 is true enough. Heard of a couple real instances where cops weren't sure and didn't press the issue. Especially true in 2 instances where the owner had a CCW and questioned the validity of the law.

Again, there is no solid current info due to the above. There are no new auto knife laws. But they are sold and carried statewide.

My advise is get the Benchmade.

I have several autos. But as a general rule I don't carry high ticket ones like a Deiter CQD. At least until they get this issue sorted out.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 12:22:36 PM EDT
[#4]
yeah , im thinkin ill get one,,not sure if ill carry though..but they are wicked. i have seen one that was custom converted to auto,,it was an old lockblade buck, looked like a normal folder but it was auto.lol.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 1:57:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Here is the deal.

There is a old florida law regarding "spring knives." These are the ballistic knives that fired a spring loaded blade up to about 30 feet that were breifly available in the early 80s.

Recently some butt nugget has "interpreted" that law to refer to auto knives.

Nobody has chellenged it yet that I am aware of. Also not aware of anyone being convicted for their auto knife under the spring knife law.

When one happens the other will likely follow. But until then we have a "let's see what happens" situation.

But to answer your question there is NO Florida law specifically outlawing auto knives. There are also no recent laws pertaining to either ballistic knives or auto knives.
View Quote

Steyr, I recently heard from a vendor at a show that the law had been reinterpreted and auto knives are okay again.  Don't know for sure, you might want to check into it.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 2:07:23 PM EDT
[#6]
     That has all changed. It's been ruled that autoknives are a-okay. It was printed up in our local independent paper.
It was reaffirmed that the law was speaking of ballistic knives...

Autoknives are a neat toy (yes, yes, there are certain apps where they are useful,) but they really are just toys.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 2:41:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Look here. [url]www.bladeforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=735&pagenumber=1&sortfield=lastpost&sortorder=desc&daysprune=365&x=5&y=5[/url]
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 4:29:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I know that Tampa Police Department has ordered all their officers to stop carrying them and to also confinscate all of the ones they find on people; but Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office, the county that Tampa resides in, has interpeted the law differently and allows their deputies to carry them. So I guess Law Enforcement isn't even clear on it.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 4:41:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
     That has all changed. It's been ruled that autoknives are a-okay. It was printed up in our local independent paper.
It was reaffirmed that the law was speaking of ballistic knives...

Autoknives are a neat toy (yes, yes, there are certain apps where they are useful,) but they really are just toys.
View Quote

Thanks that is good news.

Now if only they'd take care of that other stupid law so I can start carrying the ballistic knife I don't have. [;)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top