Page / 4
Posted: 6/21/2003 7:20:51 AM EDT
[size=5]ARMED AND DANGEROUS
Police officer probed
for killing dog[/size=5]
Owner calls for criminal investigation of front-yard shooting
[url]http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=33194[/url]

June 21, 2003

A dog owner is calling for a criminal investigation into the lethal shooting of her 6-year-old cocker spaniel by a police officer.

Valerie Mueller was in her backyard with her dog Sprite in the early morning hours last Saturday trying to talk a friend out of suicide when police arrived, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported.

The 38-pound dog bounded into the front yard toward the officers as they got out of their squad cars and just seconds later was struck by a bullet and killed.

"He fell over and flinched," Mueller, 33, told the Milwaukee paper. "To see him fall over flinching and die right there, it's just hard to explain."

On top of her loss, police issued Mueller a $120 citation for allowing Sprite to be outside without a leash.

The Milwaukee Police Department is now investigating whether lethal force was necessary to subdue the dog, the Journal Sentinel said.

Mueller's attorney Alan Eisenberg called the shooting "reckless" and filed a complaint Wednesday with the city's Fire and Police Commission. He also is asking the Milwaukee County district attorney to conduct a criminal investigation.

The Milwaukee daily said Mueller's dog-shooting complaint is the first the commission has received this year. Last year, the commission probed three shootings of dogs by police officers.

Another friend of Mueller's, David Williams, witnessed the shooting.

"I told [police], 'The dog is harmless, don't hurt the dog,'" Williams said. "Three seconds later, they shot the dog."

The Journal Sentinel said [red]Sprite was so much a part of Mueller's life that she had his paw prints tattooed onto her right foot.[/red]

"He was my best friend," she told the paper. "I did everything with him."

The female officer who shot the dog, Chaquila C. Peavy, 28, has been on the force since November 2001. Police Chief Arthur Jones said shooting a dog is justified if the officer "reasonably feels that they're in danger."

Jill De Grave, education director for the Wisconsin Humane Society, told the Journal Sentinel police officers should have to prove pet killings are justified, the same as if a person were shot.

"Everybody has to be accountable for their actions, especially when something dies as a result," De Grave said. "The officer must have felt very, very threatened to pull the trigger."

De Grave said police officers could benefit from training on handling dogs and reading behavior.

Link Posted: 6/21/2003 7:43:25 AM EDT
[#1]
I've got a cat damn near that big, I wonder if some pussy would shoot him too??

No excuse this time boys and girls. A six year old cocker?? Prolly looked like a turtle too... [rolleyes]

"Honest judge, in the dark, I thought it was a snapping turtle".
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 7:49:42 AM EDT
[#2]
ibtl

I think that 99% of all cops are good folks, however there are bad apples in every bunch.  Without knowing all the facts, this sounds like a bad apple.  
I do, however, have an issue with LEO always coming to the defense of another LEO even if they are in the wrong.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 7:57:09 AM EDT
[#3]
What gets me is the 'blue wall' (here and elsewhere) will support this idiot.

You know if the rest of the 'blue wall' would get rid of the idiots and the incompetents that wear a badge it would be better for them, yet they seem to feel some sort of misplaced loyalty and will seemingly support nearly whatever a 'brother(sister) officer' does.

In my opinion those that support/justify/excuse/protect the 1%ers are just as bad as the 1%ers.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 7:58:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Well this LEO doesn't condone most dog shootings. I've been bitten several times on the job. Big deal.

I do, however, think that most of the LEOs shooting these dogs are in fear of their lives. Some are, as stated above, pussies. It just makes me wonder where they grew up. Didn't they have a dog? Didn't they tease it and pay the price from time to time? I sure did.

I love most animals and would lose a lot more sleep after shooting a dog than some asshole crook trying to kill me or a citizen.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 8:47:30 AM EDT
[#5]
A cocker spaniel? You look at them funny and they pee themselves in fear.

The officer will have a real problem explaining how she was threatened by that.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 9:08:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Just what in the f'kng cornbread hell is up with all the JBT dog killing lately?  The real kicker is that the Stasi goons gave the gal a ticket for the dog being outside in her OWN yard without a leash after the big bad stormtrooperess executed it.[pissed]  I'm suprised the Brownshirts didn't bill her for the bullet also.

At least in this case the PD is investigating whether it was a good shoot [rolleyes]  I'm sure they'll be impartial & not let the "blue wall" cloud their jusdgement. [:|][:\]

Oh, BTW....IBTL
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 9:16:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Anyone shoots one of my dogs, they are subject to immediate return fire.  I don't give a damn if they are wearing a uniform or not.  It is real easy to explain, Judge, my dog and I were on my property minding our own business when theis individual came up and shot my dog, having reasonable fear that he/she would then shoot me, I fired in self defense blowing that low life piece of shit away.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 9:24:14 AM EDT
[#8]
[shotgun][snoopy]

Good Lord.....a little freaking cocker spaniel....such a VIOLENT BREED !!!
I can't wait to hear the excuses....."it was attacking" or it was "in a threatening posture" or "I felt my life was threatened" and other bullshit excuses.
The blue wall will prevail yet again...just watch.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 9:29:51 AM EDT
[#9]
 Speaking of pussies, who in hell gave Chaquila Peavy a gun if she's 'afraid for her life' facing a Cocker spaniel!? As noted above, most cockers are so inbred they pee themselves and fat/slow to boot.
 Worse, what dept. can use the 'fraid for life' BS excuse for PC lapdogs? This is pathetic. It's obvious our gestapo are some pussy wannabes when they're 'afraid' of family pets.
 I can only concur with those individuals who deem it an attack on their family-REGARDLESS of uniforms/steenking badges -when this occurs on your private property.
 Wonder whether Chaquila peed her pants or got-off on shooting the lap dog? She's a walking promotion for 'retroactive abortion'. Ghost
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 9:35:55 AM EDT
[#10]
I don't think 99% of the cops are good. I think its a lot less than that.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 9:37:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Sometimes the excitment of being a complete MORON with a gun and a badge makes them think they are above the law.  If you have been following the news lately, they have rapists patrolling Penn. state in highway patrol cars, 21 Detroit cops arrested for planting evidence and killing folks, LAPD is as bad as any drug gang, locally we have a former cop who nearly killed two other cops who found his stash of crack and guns.

I happen to belive that law enforcement, mirrors society in honestly and behavior. 10% of cops are always above reproach, 80% of cops will do the right thing most of the time more often if they work with the 10% that are truly honest and reasonable.  10% are total scumbags, no better than the people they are chasing , they lie, make false statements and shoot pets for no damn reason.  Thin blue line or not, some poeple just do not belong in some jobs.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 9:38:50 AM EDT
[#12]
But its a [b]38 pound[/b] Cocker Spaniel!  Id be scared too. [shock]

I shall not defend this one.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 9:50:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 9:54:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
 Speaking of pussies, [red]who in hell gave Chaquila Peavy a gun if she's 'afraid for her life' facing a Cocker spaniel!?[/red] As noted above, most cockers are so inbred they pee themselves and fat/slow to boot.
 Worse, what dept. can use the 'fraid for life' BS excuse for PC lapdogs? This is pathetic. It's obvious our gestapo are some pussy wannabes when they're 'afraid' of family pets.
 I can only concur with those individuals who deem it an attack on their family-REGARDLESS of uniforms/steenking badges -when this occurs on your private property.
 Wonder whether Chaquila peed her pants or got-off on shooting the lap dog? [red]She's a walking promotion[/red] for 'retroactive abortion'. Ghost
View Quote

"Affirmative Action......In Action"

When standards are lowered to the lowest common denominator, that's what we wind up with. The lowest denominator. It drags everyone down, and affects the quality of "Service".  We see more of this as time goes by, 'cause standards are lower nowadays. It ain't just cops, it's any govt work....
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 9:57:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Here we go again!

Freaking JBT!
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 10:25:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I do, however, think that most of the LEOs shooting these dogs are in fear of their lives. .
View Quote

No. They are shooting the dogs out of fear of injury. They dont want to waste 4 hours at the emergency room getting stiches, or go through a series of Rabies shots.

I wont allow any dog to bite me, 38 pounds or 380 pounds doesnt matter, I'm not getting bit.

Link Posted: 6/21/2003 10:28:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Oh boy, here we go again!!

This one strikes close to home. As I may have mentioned before on this board I own 3 Cockers, and I can say with out ANY reservation this breed is one of the most docile ever!! My dogs could never be agressive for any reason, I have seen complete strangers (kids mostly) come on to my property and play with my dogs without somuch as a scratch or a nip!!

It is refreshing to see that at least a couple of LEO's have voiced condemnation of this act, it shows what we all know, most LEO's are good people. If more were like this maybe they could weed out the 'pussies' and all around scumbags, then people in general would have more RESPECT for them and the difficult job they do, but, they still need to do more.

For those LEOS who have the 'stones' to come out against this type of behaviour, God Bless You.

For those of you who don't, Burn in hell ASSHOLES!!!

AZMAN-1, out.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 10:33:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I do, however, think that most of the LEOs shooting these dogs are in fear of their lives. .
View Quote

No. They are shooting the dogs out of fear of injury. They dont want to waste 4 hours at the emergency room getting stiches, or go through a series of Rabies shots.

I wont allow any dog to bite me, 38 pounds or 380 pounds doesnt matter, I'm not getting bit.

View Quote

In this, and several other cases, I think [b]BOO!![/b] would have been sufficient to deter dog bite. [rolleyes] That, or just pick it up by the scruff of the neck, and hand it to the owner...
If a police officer can't figger out how not to get killed by a 38 pound dog, perhaps they should try another line of work....

McDonalds maybe???
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 10:39:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
In this, and several other cases, I think [b]BOO!![/b] would have been sufficient to deter dog bite.
View Quote

Yes, it would have been sufficient for the OWNER to restrain the dog prior to calling the police to her house to deal with her suicidal friend.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 10:40:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I don't think 99% of the cops are good. I think its a lot less than that.
View Quote

I agree.  more like 50/50 if we're lucky.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 10:42:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Arent you the person who said you would shoot a driver who put their car in gear while you had them pulled over?
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 10:47:22 AM EDT
[#22]
If it was a "police" dog that was shot and killed, there would have been a funeral with bag pipes and a special on the Discovery Channel.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 10:49:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Dog bites are the #2 reason for emergency room visits by children. Requiring over 587,000 ER visits last year.

over 2,700 Mail Carriers were bitten in 2000.

Nationaly, Cocker Spaniels are #2 on the list for most frequent biters, only behind German Shepards. German Shepards are only on the list because lawful bites by police K9's are included in the statistics. Throw out lawfull bites and Cocker Spaniels are number one.

In Palm Beach Counties 1992 dog bite study the Cocker Spaniel was the number one biter.

Ark Valley Humane Society also list the Cocker Spaniel as the breed with the most bites.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 10:57:36 AM EDT
[#24]
AHHH.......Shit.

What more can we say?

Another dog (family member) dies.....

Another officer goes home safely that night.

Seems like we are going over this same subject every few days.

Maybe we need to ban dogs.  Or Cops.  Or cops being around dogs.  Or something.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 10:58:21 AM EDT
[#25]
"CHAQUILA"?  WTF!  Stupidass ethno-copchick!  I hope she gets her assets sued off in a civil lawsuit, to heck with the criminal prosecution.
                   [:(!]

Link Posted: 6/21/2003 10:59:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

No. People just need to be responsible dog owners. Dont allow your animals to run loose. If you are calling the cops to your house, restrain the dog before they get there.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 11:03:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
In this, and several other cases, I think [b]BOO!![/b] would have been sufficient to deter dog bite.
View Quote

Yes, it would have been sufficient for the OWNER to restrain the dog prior to calling the police to her house to deal with her suicidal friend.
View Quote

I would think, the last thing on the owners mind, was that ANYONE, let alone a trained, fully armed, fully backed-up Police Officer, would construe a six year Cocker Spanial as a threat to anything other than shoe polish. To defend this, is, to me, as bad as doing it. This Dumb Bitch carries a gun for a living, and has authority over her fellow citizens??? Wonder why people show little respect?? It ain't so much that this shit happens. It's the fact the "perp", still has a job in the morning!!!

Now, a Sheperd?? Rottie? Pit Bull???  [b]MAYBE![/b]
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 11:04:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

No. People just need to be responsible dog owners. Dont allow your animals to run loose. If you are calling the cops to your house, restrain the dog before they get there.
View Quote

Maybe the cops should learn to restrain themselves instead.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 11:07:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 11:10:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Affirmative action black female cop

White person with dog in her own yard

Cops pull up onto her property

Dog runs toward female cop who pulls her duty gun and starts shooting

Cops claim dog killing was a good shoot

This is the same Milwaukee PD...took care of "Bambi Bembenek"

I've known several cops off this particular job...friends with a few dated a Capt's Niece
Dont dial 911....if you can possible take care of your own problems

Lucky that "The 700 Club" wasnt dispatched to take care of the problem...
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 11:11:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

NOW you've done it.  Now the pit bull crew is going to jump in on this and tear you a new one!
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 11:12:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well I guess it's a good thing that you don't shoot one of our dogs then because you just might spend a lot more time in the ER,if you shoot my dog you would leave me little choice as another member has just said then to return fire ,and I ain't no unarmed cocker spaniel.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 11:26:28 AM EDT
[#33]
Last year in Minneapolis a white cop shot a pit bull at a big crack house and the bullet bounced off the ground and slightly wounded a black kid.  The blacks in Minneapolis rioted for a few days and did a lot of damage.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 11:29:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

"Pit Bulls" and Rotties both bite less people than Cocker Spaniels. many "pit bulls" are smaller than a 38 pound Cocker spaniel.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 11:44:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Well I guess it's a good thing that you don't shoot one of our dogs then because you just might spend a lot more time in the ER,if you shoot my dog you would leave me little choice as another member has just said then to return fire ,and I ain't no unarmed cocker spaniel.
View Quote

Now this is another important issue.  I often see these comments from some people on these kinds of threads.

Do you really understand what you are saying?  Do you understand that [b]actions have consequences[/b]?  I'm not talking about if the LEO is right or wrong.

If he is wrong, then sue him and his department.

But shoot the police officer over a dog?

I know some of you are ready to holler, "Hell yea!!"

But think what would happen.  You might be killed by other officers. Or you may be arrested for murdering a police officer.

It would cost many tens of thousands of dollars for lawyers and your family would probably lose their home.  Then you would go to prison for the rest of your life.  Or be dead and in a grave.

What about your family?  Your wife and children.  Is it really worth your children never seeing their father again?  Is it really worth your wife losing her husband, her home, and being in great debt?

Think about these things before you say crazy things like that.  Thirty years later, when Big Bubba finally gets tired and rolls over for the night in your cell, are you really going to say, "It was all worth it."

I don't think so.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 11:48:21 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

You mean like those irresponsible people in TN who were felony stopped and harassed and had their dog shot ??
Or the dog shot by a cop tresspassing on private property because he was too stupid to use a map, gps or call on his radio for directions ??
Now we have this incident with the stupid bitch who is supposed to be trained to deal with large human criminals and her first instinct when a 30 pound dog is coming at her is to shoot.
Responsible dog owners ??? I have a suggestion, how about some responsible cops who can handle a situation without shooting the family pet.

Link Posted: 6/21/2003 11:58:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Do you really understand what you are saying? [red]Do you understand that actions have consequences?[/red] I'm not talking about if the LEO is right or wrong.
View Quote

True, but it seems that it's a bit one sided some times.
If I take action and shoot a neighbors dog because I feel threatened, I can be sure that my actions will bring consequences, such as being arrested, charged and convicted and sued blind.
Now if a cop does the same thing...........[:|]
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 12:19:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
ibtl

I think that 99% of all cops are good folks, however there are bad apples in every bunch.  Without knowing all the facts, this sounds like a bad apple.  
I do, however, have an issue with LEO always coming to the defense of another LEO even if they are in the wrong.
View Quote

Wrong! cops are like you and me. Tell white lies and the sorts. Im far from perfect and so are they.
GG
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 12:24:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
If I take action and shoot a neighbors dog because I feel threatened, I can be sure that my actions will bring consequences, such as being arrested, charged ..........
View Quote

Not where I live. We recently had a incident where a mans dog was mauled by two pitbulls. the man armed himself and went to the pitbulls home. When he saw the dogs he shot them both. No charges filed even though he had brought about the incident himself by going to the pitbulls home.

The standard for shooting an animal in self defense is much lower than the standard for shooting a person. In my agency shooting an animal isnt even considered "using deadly force" it's "field euthonasia".
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 12:28:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:Maybe she was jealous of the dog's naturally curly hair and shot it out of spite.
View Quote

With a name like  "CHAQUILA" I doubt that a lack of curl in the hair was the issue.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 12:34:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Oh, thats nice.  Lets get racist about the issue...
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 12:53:01 PM EDT
[#42]
I wasn't there, but it sure sounds like the dog was just "in the way".
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 1:03:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Uncle Jimbo: You see boys, the democrats have passed a lot of laws trying to stop us from hunting.
Cartman: Democrats piss me off!
Uncle Jimbo: They say we can't shoot certain animals anymore, unless they're posing an immediate threat. Therefore, before we shoot somethin', we have to say 'It's coming right for us.'
Stan: Wow, you're smart Uncle Jimbo.
Ned: Mmm, Jimbo look, mm.
Uncle Jimbo: Ohho, it's a deer. Looks like about a .46 gauge Ned. - It's coming right for us!!
(Shoots deer with rocket)
Cartman: Kickass!!
Uncle Jimbo: Did you see that?! I was imperiled by that ferocious, charging buck.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 1:24:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Dear God save us.
View Quote

He can't, we threw him out....
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 1:27:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Any person who would fear a cocker spaniel probably shouldn't be in law enforcement. Any normal person would have thought "Oh look, a cocker spaniel. How cute. Ma'am would you please tie up your dog while we deal with the situation we were called for?" But no. this ignorant bitch just blows it away. "OK, that problem's solved. Now, where is this suicidal person?"

Yea, I'd want her protecting the streets in my town.[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 1:34:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

"Pit Bulls" and Rotties both bite less people than Cocker Spaniels. many "pit bulls" are smaller than a 38 pound Cocker spaniel.
View Quote

AR15, I'm not gonna allow you to look any worse than you already do, by playing sparring games with you.

Here's why some of us don't like this shit.

FIRST thing ATF does when they pull up to the home of David Koresh, they start shooting dogs in a pen.

Anyone coming on my property, using deadly force against any of my family members, without FIRST serving a lawful Warrant, will be met with suitable resistance.

Edit; Just wanna add here, any "Police Officer", who is unable to handle a 40 pound cocker spaniel without shooting it, does not deserve the honor the public bestows on them, by ALLOWING them to wear the Badge!!
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 1:35:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I wasn't there, but it sure sounds like the dog was just "in the way".
View Quote

Ditto. THere was no need to shoot here. IF it were a large dog actually capable of inflicting severe harm, then i could see it.

Shooting a dog because you are afraid it might gnaw on your show, or piss on your foot or hump your leg, is absolutely uncalled for.

a simple yell or kick would suffice.

AR15fan, I'm oficially giving you the ASSHAT OF THE DAY award. You've deserved it.

So, it's not ok to kill a fetus that's not even viable yet. But it's perfectly acceptable to waste a living animal cause it gets in your way.

end rant. flame on.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 1:40:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
AR15fan, I'm oficially giving you the ASSHAT OF THE DAY award. You've deserved it..
View Quote

Just read some of his other posts,and I think you were seriously understated with the "asshat" comment, LOL
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 1:41:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Is anyone else picturing Officer Hooks from Po-leece Academy???
But in her defense, she was a battle hardened vet of approx. 18months to two years.

This was the only email I could find

[email protected]/start

Arthur L. Jones

Chief of Police

Milwaukee Police Dept.

749 West State St.

Milwaukee, WI 53233

Non-Emergency #

414-933-4444

Link Posted: 6/21/2003 1:45:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top