Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/23/2016 10:35:43 AM EDT
I own and drive a 2001 F150 Supercrew Cab Lariat with a 5.4 V8 triton. It runs great and I plan on keeping it forever.

Yesterday I bought the remains of a 2001 F150 supercrew cab with a 4.6 V8 triton that had been rolled and the roof crushed in.

Other than the good body panels and such what under the hood would be useful for me to keep? Would engine parts such as cylinder heads be identical betweeen the two engines from the same year?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 7:47:01 PM EDT
[#1]
What happened to all the Ford guys in here?
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 8:22:45 PM EDT
[#2]
The 2001 5.4 should have PI heads and a plastic intake. The 4.6 engine will most likely have regular heads and a metal intake. The heads and intakes go together so technically they will work but the PI heads are worth about 45-50 hp so I wouldn't go changing them.You can look through the opening above the control arm and see the part number on the side of the head If it ends in PI......congrats.
Look at the pulleys to see if they have the same number of ribs on the belt. IIRC the 5.4 used a 7 rib belt and the 4.6 used a 6 rib belt. If they are the same then your accessories (compressor/alternator/PS pump) should interchange. Transmissions can be different between the two engines (4r70 and 4r100) and definitely different between the 4x2 and 4x4 models. Radiator and condenser will probably interchange. That's about all I've got without putting eyes on what you have.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 8:39:01 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The 2001 5.4 should have PI heads and a plastic intake. The 4.6 engine will most likely have regular heads and a metal intake. The heads and intakes go together so technically they will work but the PI heads are worth about 45-50 hp so I wouldn't go changing them.You can look through the opening above the control arm and see the part number on the side of the head If it ends in PI......congrats.

Look at the pulleys to see if they have the same number of ribs on the belt. IIRC the 5.4 used a 7 rib belt and the 4.6 used a 6 rib belt. If they are the same then your accessories (compressor/alternator/PS pump) should interchange. Transmissions can be different between the two engines (4r70 and 4r100) and definitely different between the 4x2 and 4x4 models. Radiator and condenser will probably interchange. That's about all I've got without putting eyes on what you have.
View Quote
Great thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top