User Panel

Posted: 6/20/2003 10:41:30 PM EDT
How do I get rid of it! Pleaseeeeeeeee
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 10:50:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Symantec has downloadable fixes.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 11:05:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Lumpy! I used the delete function in norton and am scanning now, and it appears to be gone.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 11:10:05 PM EDT
[#3]
The klez is a nasty bitch...

Go to [url]www.symantec.com[/url]

Download the antivirus to your windows desktop...

Re-Start your computer in "safe mode"

When windows opens in safe mode, click on the anti-virus desktop icon and run the program...

klez virus has programming that defeats Norton's internet security package, preventing you from installing the software.

It's a tricky virus, but the anti-virus from Symantec killed it dead for me...

I tried to run the anti-virus from "regular" windows, but it couldn't kill all the infected files. That's why I had to do it in safe mode...

I had 148 files that were infected...
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 11:16:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I only had one, and I deleted it, but I am now looking into doing what you did.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 11:20:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Dragracer_Art, I found a back door into norton.

Link Posted: 6/20/2003 11:23:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Install linux.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 11:26:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Why do I need another OS?
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 11:35:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I found Klez on a system (customers)last weekend - didn't know what it was. That is a mean one. - I hacked the registry - found the file in \windows\system32 with SHR attrib - name was winknrr.exe

After disabling it the hard way I found the def @ [url=http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/[email protected]]securityresponse.symantec.com[/url] and used the floppy tool to finish fixing the system.

After a fresh install of Norton, 46 files were found infected or over written with zeros.

(And people wonder why I refuse to use Outlook aka LookOut!)
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 11:44:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I found Klez on a system (customers)last weekend - didn't know what it was. That is a mean one. - I hacked the registry - found the file in \windows\system32 with SHR attrib - name was winknrr.exe

After disabling it the hard way I found the def @ [url=http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/[email protected]]securityresponse.symantec.com[/url] and used the floppy tool to finish fixing the system.

After a fresh install of Norton, 46 files were found infected or over written with zeros.

(And people wonder why I refuse to use Outlook aka LookOut!)
View Quote

I don't use lookout, I found it in something my wife down loaded from her msn mail. It looks like I caught it shortly after she down loaded it! Had to use a back door I found in norton to delete it though.

I could not open norton by double clicking so I started fishing around and found I could still get into norton by using the fast and safe clean up, in my most frequently used programs list.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top