Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/20/2003 7:03:13 PM EDT
I love to take my male dog out to play fetch. And he always seems pretty fixated on whatever toy I bring. Loves to play keep away, and I let him win of course.

They only problem is that when he "wins", he'll plop down and start chewing. But instead of chewing on his toy (whether it's his bone, or chew toy), he'll sit there and snack up all the grass he can get his snout into until I get his attention by grabbing the toy back.

Now I know that eating all that grass isn't good for him, and that he'll end up puking it back up.

But his insistance on eating grass is making play time a chore.

So should I just let him eat it till he gets sick a couple of times and then he'll learn?

Or is there something else I can do.

BTW, he is an indoor dog.

Ideas?
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 7:05:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 7:08:29 PM EDT
[#2]
How old is he?

Is this something new or has he been doing it for a while?
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 7:09:43 PM EDT
[#3]
he eats grass because it cleans his insides out. They puke it up when they have had enough. Our dog eats grass too.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 7:11:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Try feeding him once in a while.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 7:11:42 PM EDT
[#5]
[url]http://www.vetinfo.com/deatgrass.html[/url]
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 7:25:54 PM EDT
[#6]
My dog used to eat dirt, rocks, grass, wood, plastic, and foil. When dogs barf it isn't that bad because they will clean up after themselves.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 7:30:50 PM EDT
[#7]
It was my understanding that dogs and cats sometimes ate grass to balance out something in their system (digestive or otherwise.)
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 7:37:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It was my understanding that dogs and cats sometimes ate grass to balance out something in their system (digestive or otherwise.)
View Quote

My dog does this too.........except with children...[BIGSMILE]

Seriously I wouldnt worry unless he is constantly puking on your carpet.  All dogs do this some.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 7:38:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 7:39:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Astro-Turf your yard, it'll make mowing a cinch too.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 8:10:44 PM EDT
[#11]
dogs are omnivores, it is perfectly normal for them to graze (sp?).  i don't let mine eat grass cuz i don't want her to barf it up.

cats are carnivores.  

i used to work at a vet clinic.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 8:47:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Maybe you're not feeding the pooch the right kind of food.  Try throwing a bale of nice alfalfa hay in the back yard.  [:o)]
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 8:48:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Dude... your dog is a VEGAN.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 8:49:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 9:11:28 PM EDT
[#15]
It's funny you ask that - I was at the Vet today with my dog (who also thinks he is a cow when he is outside) and asked him.  Like TBK said, they eat it for any number of reasons, such as they like, they are bored, and so on.  As for the tale that it makes them throw up - not true.  The only time it can make them sick is if your lawn is treated (Chemlawn or similar).  

So, I guess my cow will graze.

Quoted:
I love to take my male dog out to play fetch. And he always seems pretty fixated on whatever toy I bring. Loves to play keep away, and I let him win of course.

They only problem is that when he "wins", he'll plop down and start chewing. But instead of chewing on his toy (whether it's his bone, or chew toy), he'll sit there and snack up all the grass he can get his snout into until I get his attention by grabbing the toy back.

Now I know that eating all that grass isn't good for him, and that he'll end up puking it back up.

But his insistance on eating grass is making play time a chore.

So should I just let him eat it till he gets sick a couple of times and then he'll learn?

Or is there something else I can do.

BTW, he is an indoor dog.

Ideas?
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 9:29:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My dog used to eat dirt, rocks, grass, wood, plastic, and foil. When dogs barf it isn't that bad because they will clean up after themselves.
View Quote

My roomie's dog sure as hell doesn't ever clean it up.  That's what I end up doing.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 9:59:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 10:09:13 PM EDT
[#18]
when i was younger we had a basset hound and he barfed up a bunch of hamburger helper..when i went back to clean it up (1 minute later) it was gone!...even the floor was cleaner there than before.  nasty.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 6:03:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Why is this a problem?  Train him on chew on the whole lawn, and you won't have to mow ever again.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 3:38:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 3:52:18 PM EDT
[#21]
... Hey, I could be worse. Who was it here whos doggie brought home a big latex dildo last week?
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 3:56:16 PM EDT
[#22]
i missed that story the first time around. am certianly curious though. any particular scent?
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 8:05:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
... Hey, I could be worse. Who was it here whos doggie brought home a big latex dildo last week?
View Quote

Well not mine.

But I did have a pit once that shit multi-colored latex gloves for about three days.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 8:08:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

My roomie's dog sure as hell doesn't ever clean it up.  That's what I end up doing.
View Quote

Patience, my friend patience--don't be in such a [i]hurry.[/i]  [:D]
View Quote

LOL! In the famous words of Homer Simpson, "It's funny cause it's true". [:)]
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 8:32:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 8:52:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 9:32:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Hey Inferno was that before or after the Hamburger helper was fixed?  My idiot Bassett has eaten a couple of boxes she snagged out of the cupboard.  Drinks a lot of water afterwards.  Always interesting to see if she gets sick or not.  So far with all the crud including a 5 lb bag of flour she seems to not have had any problems.  No shit a 5 lb bag of flour.  Figured that would plug her up but no visible signs of anything different than usual.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 1:03:26 AM EDT
[#28]
My dog used to eat grass whenever the opportunity presented itself.

And of course she puked it out a few minutes later with some yellow liquid substance.

Just don't let your dog get chicken bones in the garbage can.  My dog did that, got sick and cost me about $1400 or so in vet bills.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 1:42:28 AM EDT
[#29]
I have a dog that does a very similar thing. Whenever I go outside, and praise her, she takes off and goes to town on the lawn.

I'm sure it has to do with dopamine levels in the dog, at least in this instance. The pleasure of eating the grass might continue the dogs sensation of the reward. Kinda like self medicating for dogs.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 5:17:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 5:32:47 AM EDT
[#31]
A couple of strips of duct tape around the muzzle will stop the unwanted behavior indefinitely
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 5:54:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Put a large helping of grass clippings in their food bowl, this way the dog will think they're supposed to eat grass, and will stop. [;D]
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 6:29:59 AM EDT
[#33]
My dog always pukes twice.
Never once.
Never three times.
ALWAYS twice.

Usually yellow.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 6:30:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Dogs will sometimes eat cat crap.. that's prime evidence that you can't stop them from doing anything they want to.
View Quote

And just how in the hell are dog's mouths supposed to be cleaner than humans?
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 6:36:26 AM EDT
[#35]
It's amazing actually.
Think about it.

If YOU lived on a diet of dog food, and spent your days chewing on old socks and rotten bones, eating SHIT, an occaisional dead squirrel, AND you never ever brushed your teeth...

...how bad would YOUR breath be?

Sure, dogs have "dog breath", but if WE lived that way, you wouldn't be able to be in the same room with THAT breath.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 7:07:21 AM EDT
[#36]
Stop leaving your baggies around where he can get to them.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 9:47:25 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 11:03:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 11:17:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Just don't let your dog get chicken bones in the garbage can.  My dog did that, got sick and cost me about $1400 or so in vet bills.
View Quote

That's no joke, though mine only cost about $400, luckily no surgery.  Dogs can eat [b]raw[/b] chicken bones, I just can't see feeding them to the girls though.

As for those with yellow pukies, that is usually bile.  You can stop it by feeding your dog more often as it is usually the result of an empty stomach.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top