Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2016 11:52:36 AM EDT
I have joined a lot of groups on FB for local buy/sell/trade etc. Every other days there's atleast 1-2 posts about people asking for food/handout/help with bills etc. Got me thinking are pan handlers getting smarter and high tech or is it just people are becoming victim of bad times and bad economy.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:55:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Most likely they're posting the request for money from an iPhone 7.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:59:23 AM EDT
[#2]
posts like these pop up almost everyday and the whole "feel good crowd" start asking for gofundme link and paypal and asking for address to deliver food and what not.

Me and my daughter are in an emergency situation and I'm reaching out to anyone I can...we are struggling financially so badly...we are both on social security disability...i have no money, I've been broke for most of this month and my bills are getting so far behind..i don't have money for food or necessities...i have no idea how I'm going to pay my electric bill, water bill, and stay current on my rent...i have called so many agencies about helping provide assistance, but no one can help me right now....
I'm reaching out to friends and family and I'm praying everyday that things will get better someday...thank you
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:05:33 PM EDT
[#3]
"victims"
I'm sure there are some people who legitimately need a little help, but damn, get off the interwebs and find something productive to do.
ETA: I'm on my computer, at my shop, waiting for my plans to download, all 293 pages while cruising the interweb.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:07:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
"victims"
I'm sure there are some people who legitimately need a little help, but damn, get off the interwebs and find something productive to do.
View Quote

How ironic you reply and asking me to get off LOL
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:09:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't trust people anymore.  I've seen scuffy beggars driving away in new cars and such.

If they need food, absolutely.  Cash?  For what?
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:12:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
posts like these pop up almost everyday and the whole "feel good crowd" start asking for gofundme link and paypal and asking for address to deliver food and what not.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Me and my daughter are in an emergency situation and I'm reaching out to anyone I can...we are struggling financially so badly...we are both on social security disability...i have no money, I've been broke for most of this month and my bills are getting so far behind..i don't have money for food or necessities...i have no idea how I'm going to pay my electric bill, water bill, and stay current on my rent...i have called so many agencies about helping provide assistance, but no one can help me right now....
I'm reaching out to friends and family and I'm praying everyday that things will get better someday...thank you

People capitalize on Facebook's fundamental premise of social recognition. They essentially get social browny points for donating and helping others and then advertising it within their own social groups.

People have also been conditioned to believe most of what is posted on Facebook to be truthful, thus they believe they are helping those in need by sending a stranger whos post they believe to be true, money.

They can then believe they have climbed up to a superior social echelon in which they can then judge others for not doing the same. Stacy will tell Suzie that she is a good person because she helps those in need, thus Suzie, wanting to match Stacy, then donates to a different charity, so Stacy can believe she is in there same social bracket as Suzie.

The Catholic church, from what I've seen, follows this very reasoning of logic. You must maintain a certain specificity of good will gestures to be considered a good Catholic.

Facebook is a social version of that.

Because the out pouring of support is so great on Facebook and GoFundMe, baiting victims into donating for their own self-worth is highly effective.

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:15:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I don't trust people anymore.  I've seen scuffy beggars driving away in new cars and such.

If they need food, absolutely.  Cash?  For what?
View Quote

I used to be rather naive (side effect of being young) and I remember some people driving up to our group while we were walking out of a movie. A girl got out of the car and asked for gas money, so a guy we were with gave her 10 bucks.

They got back in the car and drove off.

A college aged friend at that time said "You idiot, they aren't going to buy gas with that, they are going to buy smokes, or drugs, if they really needed gas money they would have been walking, and they also would have driven toward the gas station when they left"

It made me realize a bit that what's mine is mine, and I shouldn't just go giving it away unless the people were truly in need of it immediately.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:18:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Few years ago, I was bored and just for the sake of it, bought a pan handler a 6 pack and I started conversation while he started drinking. What fucked up part I learned was he was making atleast $100 a day doing that.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:20:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
"victims"

Maybe I missed a sarcasm font somewhere, but I never told you to "get off", and I don't beg.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:31:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I know
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:36:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 4:44:24 PM EDT
[#12]
The freeway entrance spots, where the pan handlers usually are........well, they are never short of people asking for a hand out.   It's not even amusing anymore.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 4:47:21 PM EDT
[#13]
I usually print up job applications on line and hand them to panhandlers.  I did this the other day as I came up to the guy on a green light I slowed down and handed him a folded up job application to Whataburger.  I saw him in my rearview flip me off when he opened it up.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 5:01:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Yep it's been going on Craigslist for years
Have seen it spread to FB the last couple years and it getting quite prevalent on the buy/sell pages

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 5:12:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have joined a lot of groups on FB for local buy/sell/trade etc. Every other days there's atleast 1-2 posts about people asking for food/handout/help with bills etc. Got me thinking are pan handlers getting smarter and high tech or is it just people are becoming victim of bad times and bad economy.
View Quote

Lots of people who are down and out as well as a lot of scammers taking advantage of the situation.

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 5:27:16 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a piece of garbage aunt who went pan handling on Facebook. Posted her begging "pay my bills" bull shit on all the extended family's Facebooks. She got a hysterectomy because my grandmother had died of a related cancer, so she was briefly out of work. Oh, and she drives a new Lincoln Navigator, which proceeded to brag about buying new shit for it and some big vacation to Ireland two months after pan handling on Facebook.

When I had my nissen fundoplication surgery, I didn't bother anyone about it, shut my mouth and paid my bills like an adult. Worthless fucking cokehead.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 5:37:58 PM EDT
[#17]
We had one couple like that here. They crowdfunded to pay their rent ... or that's what they claimed it was for. Next thing we knew they were getting new tattoos.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 5:38:05 PM EDT
[#18]
I saw alot of people pan handling after the 2008 meltdown.  Then I've seen alot of people who appeared to be genuinely down on their luck.  However I don't want to help whatever issues they have especially when there are dozens of charities and social programs they could go to if they really needed help.  

Another reason I don't give people I see out there any help is many of them are complete scammers.  We had one family hanging out near a strip mall for awhile before the cops chased them off.  They didn't look like they were starving becasue they were all morbidly obese and had clean clothes on.  Even the kids were little fat asses.  Then on another occasion I saw a young woman out in front of the mall with a sign with a weepy sob story written on it, but the sticking point with her was she using an iPhone in an Otter case.  What killed me were the fucking idiots still giving her money.  

I get it if you are jammed up and need cash, it's something else entirely when you are a lazy piece of shit out there playing on peoples emotions or you're a fucking junky.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top