Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/30/2001 3:09:57 PM EDT
I see that most of you went with the .308.

Why not the .300 Winchester Magnum?

Also, what other calibers does it come in?

I'm thinking of getting one in 300 win after I get my AR this June....
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 3:12:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I read it is because barrel life is longer and .308 is easier to shoot, where you can get flinchitis from too much .300 win.
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 3:14:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Ammo is cheaper, eaiser to find and a nato round.
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 3:40:38 PM EDT
[#3]
^
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 4:09:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I am probably in the minority. Mine is in .223
Needed an accurate bolt action with a 1:9 twist for load development (No VSS). Following the instructions from the web my trigger pull was adjusted at 2.5 lbs.

I considered the Savage 10FP but it would have required a decent stock and a trigger replacement.  Add all of the "must have" and the price difference was not significant.

If I ever decide to sell the PSS it will recover more of its initial cost than a "customized Savage"

FWIW the loads are interesting.  In some cases the accuracy is not much different (< 1/2 moa) between three loads with powder increments in .5 grains (Varget)
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 4:17:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I like the PSS. I have a winchester heavy varmint in 223 and I like it alot. I want to get a PSS or a 40x in 308 next. I am leaning towards the 40x but it is double the price. Good heavy stock and barrel. Great target gun. First I have to finish the 2 AR's I am building.
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 4:45:08 PM EDT
[#6]
For 98% of anything you want to knock down out to 900 yards, the .308WIN with a 175gr bullet will fill the need.  

Save the mags for the other 2%.

On a more realistic level, you can train a lot longer for a lot less $$$ and with a lot less pain with the .308.

If you can spend four hours firing your .300WINMAG at the same rate you would be shooting your .308WIN, you're a better man than anyone on this or any other board!

And I don't mean off a rest.  I'm talking off a bipod on a bench, in the prone or cradled in your arms while sitting on the ground.

Flinch?  What flinch?  Twitch, twitch.

Moe
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 4:57:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Is the P series no longer produced?  They didn't have it listed on their website.
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 7:12:14 PM EDT
[#8]
I again am the exception. I shoot the PSS-DM in 300 Winchester Magnum. I use it because I wanted to be different. The 308 is probably favored up to about 800 yds, I give the 300 WinMag the advantage beyond that, although I personally can't shoot worth a shit beyond 1000 yds to determine if I am really more accurate than a skilled .308 shooter, I do know I have a power advantage for whatever it's worth. I really doubt the need will present itself to me where I require penetration on a hard target at + 1000 yds, I can testify the 300 WinMag does have a sharp kick that requires a good amount of discipline to overcome developing a flinch. I do quite a bit of reloading and am able to reload my practice loads down to a point that is somewhat tolerable. Got to put in your dues and train with heavy loads if your ever to become proficient at the longer ranges. Get use to the sore shoulder.

Link Posted: 4/30/2001 7:24:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Is the P series no longer produced?  They didn't have it listed on their website.
View Quote

It is not on the website because Remington has bent over to the anti's and betrayed us. Remington has decided that the PSS series is "restricted to law enforcement only."  However, there are distributors who ignore Remington's restrictions and sell to the public anyway.  
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 8:47:43 PM EDT
[#10]
I, as well, have a PSS in .223.  Must have a slower twist barrel as bullets 62 gr & heavier keyhole.
BTW, who makes the stock for the PSS?

Paul
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 9:29:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Remember the old joke about the fastest draw in the west?---"wanna see it again?"

I was lucky enough to get to shoot a .300 Remington Ultra Mag at the range one day.  The guy shows up with a NIB BDL.  He fires a couple of rounds, then his friend does, and then he offers me a shot.
I was all excited because I had just read a couple of articles about the round and the gun, and here I was sitting behind the genuine thing.  One of the gunwriters had described the recoil as the most "abrupt" he had experienced.
Well, he was right!  It happened so fast I didn't believe it.  It wasn't terrible.  But, it was quite a few notches above my 7MM I had at the range that day, lemme tell ya!
I've heard that Remington is offering the PSS in  7MM at the moment.  I'd get one.
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 7:20:30 AM EDT
[#12]
I believe H-S Precision makes stocks for the PSS.

At least it might be a copy, but a darn good one.  ONly problem is the cost, I think 250-350.

Link Posted: 5/1/2001 8:24:01 AM EDT
[#13]
I have a Sendero in 7mm Mag.  It's a little flatter shooting than a .308 grain for grain bullet weight wise.  Bullet selection is more abundant with the .308.

The new .300 WSM (Winchester Short Mag.) puts the performance of the .300 Winchester in a short action package.  I think this will be more popular the the Rem. Ultra.

If you work up to it, you can learn to like recoil and not let it affect your shot.
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 9:26:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
                          Is the P series no longer produced? They didn't have it listed on their website.

It is not on the website because Remington has bent over to the anti's and betrayed us. Remington has
                    decided that the PSS series is "restricted to law enforcement only." However, there are distributors who
                    ignore Remington's restrictions and sell to the public anyway.
View Quote

It is on their web site.  There is a small icon on the lower left that says Remington Law Enforcement and looks like this: [img]http://www.remington.com/images/splash/remlaw_ad.gif[/img]
or go here:
[url]http://www.remingtonle.com/rifle/700p.htm[/url]

CHZ
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top