Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2016 9:15:41 AM EDT
But I am.  I am consciously trying to tell myself that November 9th will be fine and my life will go on as usual but I can physically tell that this election is affecting me.  Blood pressure, etc.  I think about the Clinton legacy.  Bill lies to Congress, gets IMPEACHED, and gets to remain President.  Hillary lies to the FBI, her operatives are caught cheating, and she is the odds on favorite to be President.   The take away from the Clintons is that lying and cheating are not only OK, Americans will reward it!  My whole value system is being crushed by what I'm seeing and I'm not handling it too well.  If I was a rich businessman I would consider going Gault, but I have to show up for work on Nov 9th.  and 10th.  and so it goes.  I can sense the rising anger in people around me too.  

Why am I writing all of this?  I need advice from anyone who has felt this way and conquered it.  I need to be able to continue living in society after all of this and I and don't how to calmly do that.  Go easy on me please GD.  I'm having a really rough morning.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 9:19:45 AM EDT
[#1]
That hopeless feeling, and knowledge there isn't shit you can do is exactly how they want you to feel.

It fosters the surrender attitude we see so prevelant in today's world.

All you can do is live your life , raise good kids, be nice to your friends . Everything else doesn't matter since you can't change a thing
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 9:32:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I think my problem is that I don't want to be nice.  I'm not represented by my government, my beliefs and values are not common to the majority of my countrymen, I don't feel safe in my own city, I'm taxed out the ass and it's going to get a lot worse.   I'm just enraged and trying to figure out why I'm doing any of the things I thought I was supposed to do for my entire life.  The Millennials don't seem to give a fuck and I'm starting think they're right.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 9:35:21 AM EDT
[#3]
I know that feel OP
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 9:38:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Buy ammo and spare parts.

Made me feel lots better.

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 9:49:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 9:53:42 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I need to be able to continue living in society after all of this and I and don't how to calmly do that.  Go easy on me please GD.  I'm having a really rough morning.
View Quote

I've become disillusions with the whole political system, the party elites on both sides, the rule of law, checks and balances, and half the damn people in this country.  

Guess what, life will go on either way.  We are still the top society living in an amazing world.  The only thing that chances is we know we are being ruled and controlled by the rich elite and that the constitution is dead.  It really doesn't change your day to day life though, as the ruling elite need you to be a happy and productive worker for them.  

So you might not be able to buy guns like you use to.  Is that really a major change in your day to day life?  No.  Sure it sucks and is negative.  If you focus on the negative you will be miserable.  Your taxes will also go up but again on a day to day basis you will adapt and adjust to it.  The US is moving towards what Europe has and most those countries seem to be getting along just fine.

I'm not saying all these things are good, they suck and it wish the opposite was going on, but in the grand scale of things they are minor and if you constantly focus on them you will be miserable.  Since there is nothing we can really do about it, it is just best to adapt to "how things are" instead of engaging in delusions of how you wish things would be.  That is will be really tough for the people still pissed that Cruz lost as they will have to accept two layers of reality instead of just one.  

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 9:55:39 AM EDT
[#7]
I find myself taking great solace in some of the political writings of H.L. Mencken.  You could take most of them & publish them today and no one would know he was talking about the state of society & U.S. politics 75-100 years ago.

A few, showing not much has changed:

“Under democracy one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule—and both commonly succeed, and are right.”

“The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out for himself, without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane, and intolerable...”

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

“The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.”

“Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.”

The complaints & despair we have now are the complaints & despair that existed then.  Time marches on, people never really change.  They generally prefer safety over liberty.  True liberty scares the crap out of them.  Those of us that embrace liberty just need to steering the rudder in the right direction as hard as we can.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 9:58:50 AM EDT
[#8]
OP, vote your conscience but realize if it doesn't turn out the way you want, you never had a say anyway. It's not a government of the people anymore. Rest easy and choose which hill your willing to die on. Pretty simple. Don't worry about what you can't change.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 10:00:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Maybe you just want to be unhappy, and the election is a convenient reason to be.   If there was no election, you'd find something else to get all worked up about.

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 10:01:39 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm  to the point that I've stopped watching or reading anything in the news.  I'm tired of it all.

November 9 can't come soon enough
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 10:03:22 AM EDT
[#11]
A family friend had a heart attack near the end of the 2nd debate.  He spent about 5 days in a coma but is now awake.  He may have permanent brain damage from the time he went without blood flow to his brain, but he will most likely survive.  

Politics is important, but its not worth literally having a heart attack over.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 10:05:00 AM EDT
[#12]
I tried drinking.

It doesn't work.

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 10:56:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Been there OP. Was there when bill was getting elected and the AWB was horrible. I feel the same way now.

It's gotten so bad, that I can't be around any Democrats or I feel like shit and want to coc them.

They are the enemy of ours.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 10:59:41 AM EDT
[#14]
I punched out as soon as Trump was nominated.  I'm still going to vote Trump, I'm still going to tell everyone to vote Trump, but I don't want to hear him talk, I don't want to see him, just get it done and fucking beat FHRC.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:15:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm  to the point that I've stopped watching or reading anything in the news.  I'm tired of it all.

November 9 can't come soon enough
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:22:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
But I am.  I am consciously trying to tell myself that November 9th will be fine and my life will go on as usual but I can physically tell that this election is affecting me.  Blood pressure, etc.  I think about the Clinton legacy.  Bill lies to Congress, gets IMPEACHED, and gets to remain President.  Hillary lies to the FBI, her operatives are caught cheating, and she is the odds on favorite to be President.   The take away from the Clintons is that lying and cheating are not only OK, Americans will reward it!  My whole value system is being crushed by what I'm seeing and I'm not handling it too well.  If I was a rich businessman I would consider going Gault, but I have to show up for work on Nov 9th.  and 10th.  and so it goes.  I can sense the rising anger in people around me too.  

Why am I writing all of this?  I need advice from anyone who has felt this way and conquered it.  I need to be able to continue living in society after all of this and I and don't how to calmly do that.  Go easy on me please GD.  I'm having a really rough morning.
View Quote

I've felt that way basically my entire life. I've never been represented very well politically and the people consistently reject the people that do.

The impacts the fools have on your life are bad enough without letting them inside your head. We're still free to think and speak and occasionally even to act.

I've got kids, they keep me sane and give me hope.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:26:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Lighten up, Francis.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:28:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Life will go on after the election and I can't wait for it to be over.  I was done with this BS 6+ months ago
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:20:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I find myself taking great solace in some of the political writings of H.L. Mencken.  You could take most of them & publish them today and no one would know he was talking about the state of society & U.S. politics 75-100 years ago.

A few, showing not much has changed:

“Under democracy one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule—and both commonly succeed, and are right.”

“The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out for himself, without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane, and intolerable...”

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

“The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.”

“Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.”

The complaints & despair we have now are the complaints & despair that existed then.  Time marches on, people never really change.  They generally prefer safety over liberty.  True liberty scares the crap out of them.  Those of us that embrace liberty just need to steering the rudder in the right direction as hard as we can.
View Quote

That's some good stuff.  Thanks for sharing.
Truth is I know I have it really good for a lot of reasons. I'm listening to Rush right now and he's talking about this very same thing.  It's nice to hear it put into perspective.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top