Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2016 9:20:27 PM EDT
Was looking at Amazon Fire tablets for reading ebooks.

Amazon says "Prime members get unlimited access to over a thousand books and magazines, more than a million songs, and thousands of movies and TV episodes - at no additional cost."

Are these really obscure/shit books and you have to pay for any of the good stuff people actually read?
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:34:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Amazon says "Prime members get unlimited access to over a thousand books and magazines, more than a million songs, and thousands of movies and TV episodes - at no additional cost."

Are these really obscure/shit books and you have to pay for any of the good stuff people actually read?
View Quote

Prime video is decent. Most prime books are sorta meh. Prime audio is pretty great for streaming, but doesn't include all the latest and greatest.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:34:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a Fire tablet.  I prefer to read books on my wife's Kindle.  It's much easier on the eyes.

I never paid much attention to the free books.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:41:08 PM EDT
[#3]
kindle paperwhite if you want a reader.  fire if you want games/video/net

kindle unlimited is where it's at.  lots of good books for low monthly fee.  

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:46:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Prime video is decent. Most prime books are sorta meh. Prime audio is pretty great for streaming, but doesn't include all the latest and greatest.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I already have Prime and use Video streamed to the TV via a laptop. I was looking at this as a reader. Guess I will have to check out the Kindle Paper.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:53:15 PM EDT
[#5]
OP do you have a tablet already?  You can download the Kindle app (tablet, phone, or PC) too if you want to get a feel for the content before buying a dedicated reader.

Personally I don't "read" exclusively enough to want the Paper as a separate device. YMMV.

FWIW, wife has a Kindle Fire bought a few years ago.  It's been a good multipurpose tablet.  She reads with the Prime books too and enjoys it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 10:04:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a refurbished fire tablet HD I think I paid $50 for. Rooted it to get rid of the ads. It makes a great beater tablet for arfcom and netflix/youtube. If the kids trash it, oh well, it was cheap
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 10:08:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've got one of the cheap 7" ones.  I think I made it a day before I rooted it and had the google play store on it.   Much better w/ the normal android apps added.   My experience w/ their cheap tablets is they're low end on processor, memory, and have a relatively grainy display, but they work decent.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 10:18:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Just bought a Fire HD 8 because my other tablet was running out of storage.  
I think any Kindle device has access to the following.

Prime Reading has a lot of fiction books.  
I down loaded 3 Massad Ayoob books and 1 AR-15 Gunsmith book. Plus a knots book.  This is from Prime Reading.
I don't know this for sure but I would not doubt that in Prime Reading there are a lot of first book of a series and if that book hooks you, you need to spend to get the rest of the series.
Supposedly you can get 1 book a month from their Prime Lending Library.  Have not tried that yet.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 10:18:19 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought 3 of the 7in fire tablets for my oldest 3 kids Christmas before last. They are crap. Or I am spoiled by iPads. They constantly freeze and have to be rebooted, then when the memory fills up (this happens fast!) it disconnects from wifi until you free up memory.

All that said, I am an avid reader and have seriously considered a original kindle or paperwhite for reading only.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 10:22:45 PM EDT
[#10]
I have the gen3 Kindle Fire 8.9 HDX.

This was Amazons highest end tab and I love it. Got great reviews on CNET. Not too big, not too small. Good sound, great screen quality. It has a long battery life and is light and thin. They were too much money and are not sold anymore. Amazon's software is loaded with features but kind of restrictive compared to the stripped down Android tabs. I have side loaded any apps I need that are not on the Amazon app store and have no issues. It does everything I need it to do. Mine never locks up even with 20 or so Arfcom windows open and the Twitter feed going in the background. I use it for everything and it is a great media tablet. I drop it into the blutooth Logitech keyboard and it is very much like a regular laptop but with out the mouse.  

I saw the new Amazon 10" and 8" Fire tabs at Best Buy the other day and messed with them. I took the screen res down a bit from the high end HDX but you get a lot of tab for the money especially in the 8" version.

If I myself was looking at a tab now it would be the 10" Fire. I just don't need more tablet than that.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 10:24:52 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I have a Fire tablet.  I prefer to read books on my wife's Kindle.  It's much easier on the eyes.

View Quote
Kindle paperwhite is way better for reading than actual tablets. So much easier on the eyes.

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 10:25:38 PM EDT
[#12]
My wife wants to buy one for our 10mo old son Mostly to watch Daniel Tiger on the drive home.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 10:30:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Kindle paperwhite is way better for reading than actual tablets. So much easier on the eyes.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had one.  I gave it to my mom and use my tablet for reading books.    One less thing to carry and the tablet is more responsive w/ a better display.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 10:34:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Tagging along as I've been toying with the idea of getting a tablet for surfing online, email, basic stuff.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 10:35:47 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

My wife wants to buy one for our 10mo old son Mostly to watch Daniel Tiger on the drive home.
View Quote

I was going to put a DVD player in back of the wife's SUV but decided to buy a Ram Mount for the overhead console and a Fire Tablet instead.  

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 10:36:53 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I had one.  I gave it to my mom and use my tablet for reading books.    One less thing to carry and the tablet is more responsive w/ a better display.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I read before bed so it's nice to have the reduced eye strain/light disturbance. Plus the battery on the paperwhite is up to 8 weeks! I briefly considered the ipad mini 2 for the same purpose when they were on sale at best buy for $225.

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 10:38:38 PM EDT
[#17]
WIFE got me a kindle fire HD several years ago fir Christmas. I love it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 10:49:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I read before bed so it's nice to have the reduced eye strain/light disturbance. Plus the battery on the paperwhite is up to 8 weeks! I briefly considered the ipad mini 2 for the same purpose when they were on sale at best buy for $225.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do too, but it's not a big deal to charge it every day and my tablet has a night mode which greatly reduces the light output.   The quicker response when turning pages and much higher res display makes it no comparison for me.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 10:53:27 PM EDT
[#19]
We have almost 10 of the Fire HD 6s at our gun club to run the match scoring software so they see a ton of use in some hard conditions.  We finally had issues with the first one when someone dropped it right on the screen on a target stand. A big crack down the middle but it kept working. Very tough devices for $70.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 11:27:41 PM EDT
[#20]
My wife and kids do.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:16:17 AM EDT
[#21]
I bought a Kindle Fire 7 about 4 years ago after selling a freebie Ipad 10 from our printer vendor. I paired it with a generic sleeve and keyboard for about $20. Works like a laptop, only smaller. Yes it does have some limitations but I can work on excel, and word docs, pdfs etc. I got an adapter from worldstart.com that allows me to transfer stuff from the kindle into my laptop or PC as needed. Plus with the camera, and recorder functions it works great for many uses.

More versatile than my phone for bigger tasks, I'm sold on them.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:35:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Downloaded my first prime reading title (To my Tab S, not a fire tablet) this morning. I'll let you know.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top