Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/20/2003 8:14:34 AM EDT
UNION-TRIBUNE June 20, 2003

POWAY – The Poway Senior Volunteer Patrol and Poway Public Library will provide free fingerprinting of children on the fourth Saturday of each month.

The new program will be from 1 to 3 p.m. starting June 28 outside the library. A parent or guardian must accompany each child.

Parents receive a fingerprint card, on which they can add information such as the child's height, weight and birth date. A photo also can be included.

The Sheriff's Department suggests parents keep a DNA sample from the child by either rubbing inside the child's mouth with a cotton swab or keeping a used bandage. Either should be stored in a sealed plastic bag.

The department recommends fingerprinting children ages 11/2 to 18. For more information, call (858) 513-2855. No appointment is necessary.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 8:25:34 AM EDT
[#1]
For once I have no problem with this.  The PARENTS keep the card, not the state.

Simple and probably doesn't cost the taxpayer an arm and a leg.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 8:37:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Some school districts are using a finger print machine in their school lunch programs. The print, and the student are assigned a ##....
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 8:54:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Tactical_Jew,

Your sig line says it all.  Many things start out as a good, harmless idea.  I can fingerprint my kids myself with an inkpad.  If they are needed they could be dusted from anything in my house.  They touch everything.

Actually, I think we have some chocolate fingerprints on the wall already.[:)]
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 9:03:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Here in San Antonio I did that at a local Mall. It was all done on cards with ink and I was able to keep them. I watched the whole process. They took a polaroid picture as well and stapled it to the fingerprint cards and handed all materials to me. I now have them in my safe.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 12:57:59 PM EDT
[#5]
This will NOT help you locate you children if they are kidnapped, which is the claim for these programs.  The best it can do is help ID their dead bodies when they are found.

So sad that parents' fears are being used to collect fingerprints and DNA.

For now it will be voluntary.  This is just a softening up process for later compulsary fingerprinting and DNA.  Just like in the schools, get the kids conditioned to allow pat downs and being run through metal detectors, so that as adults they will think it is being done "for their own protection."
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 1:03:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I did this type of thing several years ago with my daughter. The info. card is still sitting in my gunsafe.

No this will not prevent anything bad from happening to her. But it will aid in positive identification if, Heaven forbid, it is needed.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 2:09:27 PM EDT
[#7]
"A Free Man" has solved this puzzle. I already have plenty of pictures and fingerprints on every window in the van.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top