Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/20/2003 5:41:18 AM EDT
I was going to shave the calluses on my feet the other day. It is something I normally do with a very sharp knife, but this time I grabbed on of my cheaper semi sharp switchblades. About the 3rd time across my right foot, it caught causing it to tilt from a 15 degree angle to a 90 degree angle, & the momentum of the pulling made it dig right in.
I knew it was a bad slice right away so I grabbed it to hold it shut. I had to try to make it to my bathroom across the carpeted floor without getting blood everywhere. I was pretty successful at that & only got a couple of drops on the carpet. The tile floor was a real mess though. I left a nice puddle every step that was easily discernable even in the dark against the gray tiles.
I can only say in retrospect that it was a stupid thing to have done, & I will remember it with every limp I take for the next few days.
If I could I would post pictures for you who love to gaulk at others wounds(myself included)
I probably need stitches, but since I don't have medical insurance I don't see it happening. I would do them myself but it's not in an easily sown area, so I will go with just letting it heal up on it's own. It broke open yesterday, & I didn't notice till I had blood all over the living room carpet. I cleaned it up with a wet towel, but if the cops ever spray for blood it will surly lead to some questions!

What was the last really stupid thing you did to get a minor, but inconvenient wound, & can you beat my stupid human trick?
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 5:45:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Super glue will serve as a cheap painless substitute for stitches. Be sure to keep some Betadine on that area of your foot, feet have lots of bacteria and shoes are an ideal environment to grow them in.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 5:48:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Super glue will serve as a cheap painless substitute for stitches. Be sure to keep some Betadine on that area of your foot, feet have lots of bacteria and shoes are an ideal environment to grow them in.
View Quote

Roger that...

I used to work in a machine shop.  I wish I had a nickel for all the burrs that cut me open.  Super glue it shut and get back to work.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 5:52:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 6:05:44 AM EDT
[#4]
I was going to shave the calluses on my feet the other day. It is something I normally do with a very sharp knife, but...
View Quote

Holy Smoke!  I knew you were a little "off", but I didn't thank you were crazy.

Where did you get your medical license?  You don't have one?  Then why are you doing surgery on yourself?

I could go on, but I'll quit for now.  If you need me to holler at you some more, just IM me. [:D]
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 6:06:23 AM EDT
[#5]
I used a boot knife to cut the bandage/tape off my left shin from a soccer scrape....dummy me, I still had the boot knife in my hand when I ripped the tape off...you know, do it fast so it doesn't hurt as much. Well, when I ripped, the boot knife went right into my right calf, close to 1-1 1/2" deep. So I took the bandage from my left leg, and put it on my right leg. I made a mental note to myself after that. Put the knife/ scissors down before doing anything like that again.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 6:08:17 AM EDT
[#6]
It's close stoney point, we tied, or you won, I'm not really sure.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 6:11:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Shot myself with a ricochet from a nail gun last week. Buried a 3" nail in my thigh at a shallow angle. Was framing a porch and the nail went right thru the stud and bounced off the concrete.  Did the same thing with a finishing gun, that one implanted in my wrist and had to be surgically removed.  Have stuck a 1/4" wood chisel into my shin,  kickback from the grinder.

Why more people don't kill theselves with power tools is beyond me.

By contrast,  I've never accidentally cut myself with a knife. Did watch a guy remove his 1st finger with a boxcutter, slicing Tyvek sheeting.  
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 7:20:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Shaving Calluses? I never heard of such a thing. Don't you wear shoes?...lol.

I've done a couple "oh shit" moves myself.
Lost half my pointer finger on my right hand in a radial arm saw....
This is a good one. I was a kid doing a brake job I was pulling on a brake spring with a pair of needle nose pliers. The pliers slipped and since I was pulling towards myself (inexperienced kid), I buried the pliers in through my nostril and deep into the tissue above. I was lucky not to loose my eye on that one.
Have broke my arm and wrist recently on my mountain bike. Also fell on pavement and tore a hole through the skin on my elbow that required that required full-blown surgery to close.
Damm, the price we sometimes pay to have fun....
[whacko]
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 7:23:54 AM EDT
[#9]
You need to keep your foot REAL clean and use plenty of Betadine to keep away infection otherwise you are going to have to suck it up and pay for antibiotics.  I got a REAL tiny cut on the sole of my foot once (doing something real similar with plantar's warts) and it got ferociously infected in one day of hiking in the rain. I ended up on a full course of antibiotics to kill the infection that was getting rapidly out of hand.

You may want to consider a sanding block instead...really.  That's what they use in pedicure shops, a wet/dry paper of coarser grit will grind away the callus without grinding through the actual skin.

Link Posted: 6/20/2003 7:33:38 AM EDT
[#10]
You just have to get those calluses off with a knife huh.  
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 8:20:34 AM EDT
[#11]

Two years ago I was at the live fire range with my unit, firing the .50 cals.  Because of the way that the weapon is mounted on the side of my Avenger systems's turret, I had to reach all the way around the barrel feed in the links from the opposite side, while wedging my knees under the brass and links tray to keep from falling off.

I had my BDU sleeves cuffed at the time because of the heat, so naturally I slipped slightly and rested my right forearm on directly on the barrel to keep from falling off the truck - this after just firing two hundred rounds.  I still have a perfectly oval scar about three inches in diameter right in the middle of my inner forearm.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 12:28:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I've done a couple "oh shit" moves myself.
Lost half my pointer finger on my right hand in a radial arm saw....
View Quote

LOL, well at 42 I still have every appendage I'm supposed to, even if some of them have scars. I have seriously had some quirky but painfully injurious incidents happen to me since I moved to Texas. I had the marshmallow flambeau that stuck on the tip of my nose giving me the second degree burn, my back went out lifting a laundry basket full of clean cloths, that took about 6 weeks to heal up, & now my foot slice. I hope I'm not going to be the one to make computer guy look like he's led a lucky life!

There must be something in the water here. That's my story, & I'm sticking with it.[:D]
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 1:04:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I was going to shave the calluses on my feet the other day. It is something I normally do with a very sharp knife, but this time I grabbed on of my cheaper semi sharp switchblades. About the 3rd time across my right foot, it caught causing it to tilt from a 15 degree angle to a 90 degree angle, & the momentum of the pulling made it dig right in.
I knew it was a bad slice right away so I grabbed it to hold it shut. I had to try to make it to my bathroom across the carpeted floor without getting blood everywhere. I was pretty successful at that & only got a couple of drops on the carpet. The tile floor was a real mess though. I left a nice puddle every step that was easily discernable even in the dark against the gray tiles.
I can only say in retrospect that it was a stupid thing to have done, & I will remember it with every limp I take for the next few days.
If I could I would post pictures for you who love to gaulk at others wounds(myself included)
I probably need stitches, but since I don't have medical insurance I don't see it happening. I would do them myself but it's not in an easily sown area, so I will go with just letting it heal up on it's own. It broke open yesterday, & I didn't notice till I had blood all over the living room carpet. I cleaned it up with a wet towel, but if the cops ever spray for blood it will surly lead to some questions!

What was the last really stupid thing you did to get a minor, but inconvenient wound, & can you beat my stupid human trick?
View Quote

Honestly, but not entirely happily...I'm arrogant like that. I can't beat that stupid human trick. Not with stories of getting injured anyway.

Best I can do is play "Bloody Bitch" by Insane Clown Posse in your honor.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 1:40:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Next time use a belt sander on those calluses.  120 grit works just fine.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 1:45:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Shot myself with a ricochet from a nail gun last week. Buried a 3" nail in my thigh at a shallow angle. Was framing a porch and the nail went right thru the stud and bounced off the concrete.  Did the same thing with a finishing gun, that one implanted in my wrist and had to be surgically removed.  Have stuck a 1/4" wood chisel into my shin,  kickback from the grinder.

Why more people don't kill theselves with power tools is beyond me.

By contrast,  I've never accidentally cut myself with a knife. Did watch a guy remove his 1st finger with a boxcutter, slicing Tyvek sheeting.  
View Quote

John?? Aren't you a Cop???

Maybe you should stick to less dangerous stuff, like chasing murderer's, rapists. and other violent criminals. [:D]

I know guys with years in the construction business with fewer injuries than you!! [snoopy]

Link Posted: 6/20/2003 2:35:41 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a callus shaver and my wife has the pleasure of every once in a while after a long soak in the tub cheese grating my feet. Works really well, I don't think she likes doing it though =D.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 3:13:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Haven't had any mistakes with sharp objects lately, but I did zap my inner arm with a hot iron a few weeks ago. Not as cool as AvengeR15's encounter with a M2 barrel, but about the same result. It hurt some the day that I got it, but it didn't hurt at all after that first day. Most of the obvious marks went away in about a week, but the skin is still a little red.

I also managed to get a nice little blood blister on the edge of my hand while shooting benchrest pistol. It jumped up, and a bit of my hand was between the mag base and the table when it came down. Ow.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 3:36:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Stabbed myself in the leg while opening some toy package for a friends kid (birthday present).  Stuck myself real good but never bothered to go get it stitched up.  Still have the 3/8 to 1/2" scar.  
On the other leg there are faint "grill" marks from when I dropped my Honda.  Picked it up, using my right leg to assist (while wearing old jeans with ripped knee...) & scortched my leg above the knee on the hot engine cooling fins.
About 3-4 weeks ago I managed to gack my finger up while attempting to remove the blade on the lawnmower (wrench slipped!).  Nice chunk sliced right off, all skin though, no meat (luckily).
Riff Sr has TWICE! mangled his thumb when shooting a pistol.  Once with a .45(Llama 1911 copy) & a Ruger Mark1 .22.  He's not really a gun nut like me (though he's a better shot than I am).
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 3:58:18 PM EDT
[#19]
when i was 13 my dad was telling my brother and i a joke that involved this line:

"indian stab like this!"

he held a knife in his fist with the blade sticking straight up then went to stab it forward underhanded (like a softball pitch)

the problem was, he buried the blade about four inches into the back of his leg

oops

Link Posted: 6/20/2003 6:12:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 8:48:13 PM EDT
[#21]
I didn't exactly cut myself but in the last snow/ice storm of the year, I was walking to my truck to get something.
As I was walking barefoot I slipped on the ice and my foot went under the snow on the walkway.

It hurt but I went to my truck, walking through the snow and ice and back to my apartment.

After I get back in I notice large pools of blood all over the kitchen floor.
Seeing blood but not feeling any real discernable pain I had to do a quick check, hands, arms, legs, TOE.

As I slipped on the ice my foot then, under the whole weight of my body, slid into anarea where there was no ice or snow but bare tar and sand.
My big toe and the toe 2 toes over are almost always in a hyperextended position(they always point down with alot of force), because of this they were froced into the tar and sand ripping the skin of most of the big toe almost off, and cutitng the top of the nail and doing the same to the toe two toes over.

I bandaged they toes after I got the blood to stop dripping all over the floor(this meant that I had to go back out side barefoot to get soem cleand "shop towles" out of my truck because I didn't have ANY 2x2s.

If the fact that the nail on the big toe was in the way I would have stiched it up with a sucher kit I have.

here are pics.  

A few min after the accident.
[img]http://users.xpressamerica.net/~bishop/images/toe.jpg[/img]
A week later.
[img]http://users.xpressamerica.net/~bishop/images/toe2.jpg[/img]
Another week later
[img]http://users.xpressamerica.net/~bishop/images/toe3.jpg[/img]
The flap that was left, I just cut it off.
You can't even tell anything ever happened.

Always take pictures...

BISHOP
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top