Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2016 2:48:42 PM EDT
I'd imagine the only system that would differ from the Expedition would be the air ride. Are they notorious for being huge pieces of crap? Or do you just replace the bags and air compressor every so often and Rock Auto is you holy savior?

Just being curious, I am finding a few near me that are cheap AF.

I mean worst case scenarios is the air system fails then I have to Cali Lean 4 lyfe.

update in title.

I like the 07+ body style better and it's easier to find a clean model than a older one.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 2:50:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't. Just don't.

Link Posted: 10/18/2016 2:52:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

I figured that, it looks like the conversion kit to normal springs is $597 at the rock.

But that air ride must be freaking glorious.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 2:53:12 PM EDT
[#3]

Dat so low...
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 2:54:35 PM EDT
[#4]

damn....dat stance doe.

anyhow looks like Ebay to the rescue once again.

conversion kit

If that's all I have to contend with, I am going full rental speed ahead.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 2:56:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I just replaced the air-ride on my wife's Navigator with real shocks/springs. . .after replacing the bags and the compressor and still having trouble with it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 2:57:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I just replaced the air-ride on my wife's Navigator with real shocks/springs. . .after replacing the bags and the compressor and still having trouble with it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Well that's good to know, if the air ride goes out, just throw the spring kit on it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 4:43:03 PM EDT
[#7]
any big changes from 2006 to 2008?

I have two I narrowed it down to.

Both are clean AF

2006 has 95k and asking $9500

2008 has 150k and asking $10,500

55k more miles and 1k more. I think the 2006 is the better deal. Unless there is a major change beyond cosmetic I don't know about/.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 4:44:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Are you a drug dealer.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 4:45:23 PM EDT
[#9]
When does your rap album drop?
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 4:47:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Are you a drug dealer.
View Quote

I sell white man crack.

Link Posted: 10/18/2016 4:55:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 4:59:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My wife has an '08 that we got new in '09, it was unsold stock, and got a great deal.
Currently 135K, and doing pretty good.

It has had its share of problems over the years, but they didn't affect drivability.  The seat heaters and A/C units failed a few times, $800 each to replace.
Electric window motors failed. Video system (dealer, not factory) failed. Few other nuisance issues.  

Have done all the routine p/m, including all the hi mileage stuff, and she shows no signs of slowing down.

View Quote

thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 4:34:27 PM EDT
[#13]
So found an 07 but it has the 4wd system Similar to the GM's, some type of magnetic clutch in the transfer case.

Should I run?
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 4:43:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'd imagine the only system that would differ from the Expedition would be the air ride. Are they notorious for being huge pieces of crap? Or do you just replace the bags and air compressor every so often and Rock Auto is you holy savior?

I mean worst case scenarios is the air system fails then I have to Cali Lean 4 lyfe.
View Quote

Same engine, transmission, and rear end as my 2004 F150. Worst financial decision I ever made buying that truck.

Let me put it this way,.... ask them if they had the $1000 spark lug change yet. If they give you a look, keep on walking. There have been three class action lawsuits related to just the F150, all of which were shared parts with the Expedition.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 4:58:15 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote
About 5 years ago I bought a cheap 96 Explorer LTD. The air ride worked perfectly with no issues at all. Stupid stepson loaded it with 3000lbs of crap, maybe 4k
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 10:25:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Same engine, transmission, and rear end as my 2004 F150. Worst financial decision I ever made buying that truck.

Let me put it this way,.... ask them if they had the $1000 spark lug change yet. If they give you a look, keep on walking. There have been three class action lawsuits related to just the F150, all of which were shared parts with the Expedition.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Im fully aware of the 5.4 nuances. I was Mostly curious about the center diff.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 10:25:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
About 5 years ago I bought a cheap 96 Explorer LTD. The air ride worked perfectly with no issues at all. Stupid stepson loaded it with 3000lbs of crap, maybe 4k
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn, that sucks
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 10:35:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Buy Here Pay Here ghetto mobiles
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:11:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Buy Here Pay Here ghetto mobiles
View Quote

I know, but it checks off all the boxes for me.

I would get an expedition but, they are so damn close in price, plus the navi has air ride, which is what I want due to the capitalistic roads down here.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:12:31 PM EDT
[#20]

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:34:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ford had a problem with the carrier bearing pocket depth on these, the only way to make it right is to have a shop rebuild the diff and properly shim everything.  I opted for non Ford parts.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:43:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Ford had a problem with the carrier bearing pocket depth on these, the only way to make it right is to have a shop rebuild the diff and properly shim everything.  I opted for non Ford parts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is it somthing that creeps up all of a sudden or if it makes it to enough miles you are good?
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:45:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban/escalade is better in every way imaginable. There's a reason why the resale value is so much higher.

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:53:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban/escalade is better in every way imaginable. There's a reason why the resale value is so much higher.  
View Quote

Well. the ride isn't as good, the seats aren't as comfy, their transmissions (sans the escalades) are shit, the 5.3 has lifter issues, their interiors don't hold up as well.

Better fuel economy on the GMs?
I would have to agree with out if I were buying an Escalade.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 8:30:51 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Well. the ride isn't as good, the seats aren't as comfy, their transmissions (sans the escalades) are shit, the 5.3 has lifter issues, their interiors don't hold up as well.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Isn't the Escalade the most direct competitor for the Navigator?

It's true that the 4l60e transmission is garbage, but they're not expensive to repair/replace compared to other transmissions. The 09+ models have the 6 speed, which is MUCH better.

Overall, I'd much rather deal with the minor issues of the 5.3 vs the Ford 5.4.

Then again, there's also Toyota. How does a loaded Sequoia  of a similar year compare?

Link Posted: 10/22/2016 9:21:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
It's true that the 4l60e transmission is garbage, but they're not expensive to repair/replace compared to other transmissions. The 09+ models have the 6 speed, which is MUCH better.
Then again, there's also Toyota. How does a loaded Sequoia  of a similar year compare?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Seqoia is at least 3k more for the same year and mileage.

I really just need the navi to last a few years.
What about a LS swap in a navigator? Lol
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top