Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/30/2001 2:28:55 PM EDT
how does the Ruger mark 77 with bull barrel(is that the model designation?) in .308 compare to the Rem 700? is it capable of sub moa at the same range as the Rem 700 (sniper variant of course)

i checked out the savage 10fp long range and was not impressed with the action. too slow and rough compared to the Rem 700 and Ruger mark 77

i did some reading on the steyr sbs tactical and it is not capable of sub moa. does anyone here own an sbs tatical heavy barrel. how does this rifle compare to the ssg?

sniper rifleless lib [:D]

Link Posted: 4/30/2001 2:44:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I can't help you out much, but I own a Ruger M77 in a .270 win. I also own a remmington sendero in a .22-.250.

I love them both. The ruger is an all weather version with only a standard 20"-22" inch barrel. (I'm not sure which). My ruger has a $90 dollar simmons scope on it and the thing shoots MOA with anything I put in it. I have had very good luck with it. Espesially considering the optics and the short barrel it has.

My remmington is a bit pickier about ammunition, but once I got it right the thing will shoot wonderfully. It has a heavy fluted barrel w/ a leupold vari-X III 6.5-18 on it. At 100 meters with the remmington the holes always touch.

Overall I would get a remmington if it was for a tactical reason, but in the field my Ruger will never fail.

The action on a Ruger is smoother in my opinion because it is not as tightly fit togeter, but the remmington gives you that sense of aww when you close the bolt because you can feel it all go together just perfectly.
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 3:27:13 PM EDT
[#2]

The only things keeping a Ruger out of the same ballpark as the 700PSS is the stock and trigger.

If you get a better stock or properly bed a Ruger (it can be done, and done well), that's half the battle. The biggest problem with them is the funky angled screw setup. Great for a hunting rifle, lousy for a precision gun (unless bedded). Replace that @#$## aluminum trigger guard with a steel one.

Get a Canjar (single-set for extreme range) or Jewell trigger, and the other half of the problem will be solved.

I monkeyed with one a friend carried, and it went from a 1moa gun to a .5moa gun with just the above (and a lil fire lapping). He has shot more than a few .3moa groups, and the rifle holds well at 500yrds (range limit).

Last word----OPTICS!!! Get the best you can, even if it means you can't put as many bells and whistles on the tube as you'd like. The #1 limiting factor of ANY precision system is OPTICS. Again, GO NIGHTFORCE. You will be satisfied, and all your buddies who only got a Leupold will be jealous. Any specific questions, please e-mail me. I've got both rifles and would be more than happy to preach!

In my opinion, the Ruger is a tougher gun. To me, tough is important (my personal precision gun is a homebrew off a VZ24 action).
I would advise improving the scope base/rings, and use a 1-piece weaver-type base with Badger rings. Use GOOD glass (Nightforce all the way, baby!) or everything else is a waste.

The 700 is ok as a base. The big Good Thing about 700s is that people make more goodies than you can imagine for them. There is, in my poor opinion, nothing else that really stands out about them. Adequate action with lots of goodies equals decent rifle. Call the Chandlers at Iron Brigade and let them set you up for a 700.
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 3:31:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Uhhhh, why is the board moving my paragraphs around? is this a new board feature to make reading posts more interesting? Read the last paragraph first.....
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 3:34:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I have owned roughly 40? different Rem. 700 over the last 25 years and honestly have not had one that shot more than 1 1/2 to 2 inches. I have absolutely nothing against any of the others but have not in my experiences found Ruger or Win. to be as accurate overall. My shooting buddy is always giving me sh*t about Rem. but seems to be trading his Ruger and Win. on a regular basis. He has a couple of good shooters in both brands but has sold a bunch of mediocre ones. I have found the Rem. trigger to be alot better over all and also the availability of aftermarket are cheaper and more choices. My feelings are there must be a reason most super accurate rifles are either built on Rem. actions or a copy of one. Like I said am not running down other brands just relaying my experiences. Good day.
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 9:07:59 PM EDT
[#5]
BTT
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top