Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/19/2003 12:11:03 PM EDT
I do.  Don't think I'll be buying that one.  
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 12:13:07 PM EDT
[#1]
The Unnamed feeling is a cool song. The rest suck.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 12:15:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 12:16:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Does anyone else think that the new Metallica (St. Anger) sucks?
View Quote

Yes, everyone thinks it sucks.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 12:17:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm a big Metallica fan, but those tracks I've heard are not too good. I'll need to hear more before I buy.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 12:17:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Someone told me that they were trying to go back to their roots.  Doesn't sound much like Kill 'em all to me.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 12:20:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, everyone I know thinks its horrible.

about time to hang in the guitars for those guys.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 12:24:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Someone told me that they were trying to go back to their roots.  Doesn't sound much like Kill 'em all to me.
View Quote

I heard that too and got excited.  Then I heard the new song. What a POS.  It's just as well, after the whole napster thing I couldn't stand those pricks anyway.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 12:29:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Roots my ass.

Those songs don't even sound live anything from no life till leather or the garage days.

Metallica is a good example of not knowing when to stop.

Michael Jordan is another good example.

First impressions do mean alot, but the final impression is just that, final.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 12:38:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Relax. I hated it too.

It's now growing on me. Check out the live version video stream at Yahoo Launch.  That sounds like true Metallica, without the post-production engineering crap.

Alot of people will probably change their minds on this one because it's going to sound much better live.

BTW, ST. Anger is the first song in 3 albums that I've listened to and liked, except for "Bleeding Me."

bd
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 12:41:14 PM EDT
[#10]
thats why i downloaded it, they sux
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 1:04:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 1:08:51 PM EDT
[#12]
like a cheap asian whore
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 1:11:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
like a cheap asian whore
View Quote

What does my wife have to do with it?  [:D]
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 3:23:57 PM EDT
[#14]
sucks not worth the bandwith to DL it.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 3:33:33 PM EDT
[#15]
{nomex on}

Please save the flames, but almost everything metallica ever made sucks. It ain't rock. Its Thrash. And wearing pants about 12 sizes too big makes you look like a 1920's NH dairy farmer. They been wearin baggy pants for a century.

Wildly beating the strings and screaming about stuff does not make music. And it ain't Rock 'N Roll. I don't mind if music takes different directions, but don't call Thrash-Screaming-Stuff "Rock and Roll". It isnt and never will be.

I know Rock N Roll, and you sir, are not Rock N Roll [:D]

{nomex off}

Please note the smiley face and do not spew your teen angst on my opinion... [:D]
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 4:17:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
{nomex on}

Please save the flames, but almost everything metallica ever made sucks. It ain't rock. Its Thrash. And wearing pants about 12 sizes too big makes you look like a 1920's NH dairy farmer. They been wearin baggy pants for a century.

Wildly beating the strings and screaming about stuff does not make music. And it ain't Rock 'N Roll. I don't mind if music takes different directions, but don't call Thrash-Screaming-Stuff "Rock and Roll". It isnt and never will be.

{nomex off}

Please note the smiley face and do not spew your teen angst on my opinion... [:D]
View Quote

You're more than welcome to your opinion.  That's what America is all about.  I've got a couple of points to argue, though...

Metallica has never claimed to be rock and roll.  They were/are/will be Heavy Metal.  Even if they suck now.  [;)]

I've been a fan since 1984 when I bought "Ride the Lightning" never having heard of Metallica.  They've never worn baggy pants.  They are of the era when metalheads wore tight-assed jeans, t-shirts, and had hair down to their ass.

Finally, I played metal for 10 years wildly beating on the strings of a bass guitar.  It is defintely music.  You may not understand or appreciate it, but it is music.  There are/were alot of very well trained musicians playing metal.

Link Posted: 6/19/2003 4:20:40 PM EDT
[#17]
It does suck. Whatever they were (and I liked them in the late 80s and still like that music now) they stink now, and their music download stance has caused me to DL all their good music. They will not see a dime from me for the old stuff, and the new stinks.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 4:26:50 PM EDT
[#18]
I snagged the whole album off irc earlier today since I finally remembered to do it while I was on the computer, and without a doubt this is total crap.  There is not one damn song on the album that is worth a crap to me.  

It certainly isn't "back to their roots" IMO.  It is a mess or uncoordinated crap to me.  Nothing at all like the classic songs.  Metallica has bitten the big one whether they like it or not.  I'm sure they can still play the old songs live and it sound good and stuff, but WTF they can't write any new music that is worth a crap apparently.  I don't know what their problem is, guess their tastes just changed.  Whatever happened their "music" does not jive with me anymore at all.

Back to the new Helloween and Masterplan CDs for me...
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 5:44:43 PM EDT
[#19]
I forgot to cancel my order, and it showed up in the mail Tuesday. I haven't listened to all of it yet, but it looks like I am out $9.89...[:(]

Link Posted: 6/19/2003 8:01:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Screw them! Lars can kiss my redneck ass!

They havent made a good album since Master and I wont support those whiny little money hunger bastards!

They should go on tour with the Dixie Chicks since Lars's pussy is hurting because the Military used their music to piss off the enemy! Lars and Nat can sit around and pat eachothers back! Fuck EM!

CH
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 8:08:04 PM EDT
[#21]
They've sucked since Cliff died.  They really sucked when they started crying about Napster.  

Slayer Rules!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 8:12:58 PM EDT
[#22]
it does suck!....damn KLOL plays it almost every 2 hrs.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 8:19:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
{nomex on}

{nomex off}

View Quote

Metallica always wore high-top nikes/chucks, too-tight jeans, and had hair down past their shoulders, what band are you talking about?
Teen angst? Metallica fans used to kick the shit out of the "teen angst" crowd as far as I know.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 8:38:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Yup, crap.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 8:42:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Hate to tell you guys, but unless you are 24yo or younger, Metallica could give a shit if you like their new record.  It has been long enough since the last one, that they are aiming at another whole new generation of music fans.  This record will do, again, what the "black album" did: win over a whole new generation of fans that outnumbers the amount of Master of Puppets fans that decide they suck.  AS LONG AS THE NEW FANS THEY WIN OUTNUMBER THE OLD FANS WHO HATE IT AND ABANDON THEM, METALLICA STILL GROWS.  This is why they don't care about hanging on to old fans.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 12:50:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Yes, it's crap.  It reminds me of early 80's Misfits recordings.  Some great songs that sound like utter crap because they're mixed so poorly.  I know James is a big Misfits fan, but making a record that sounds like recorded mush doesn't seem like such a good idea to me.

Still, it seems like this album is going to be platinum in a few weeks, so it looks like someone is buying it.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 3:06:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Hate to tell you guys, but unless you are 24yo or younger, Metallica could give a shit if you like their new record.  It has been long enough since the last one, that they are aiming at another whole new generation of music fans.  This record will do, again, what the "black album" did: win over a whole new generation of fans that outnumbers the amount of Master of Puppets fans that decide they suck.  AS LONG AS THE NEW FANS THEY WIN OUTNUMBER THE OLD FANS WHO HATE IT AND ABANDON THEM, METALLICA STILL GROWS.  This is why they don't care about hanging on to old fans.
View Quote

Same thing U2 did.  In fact, when the members of U2 were once asked about losing their old fans, there reply was basically "fuck 'em, for every one old fan we lose we gain 5 new ones".
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 6:15:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
They've sucked since Cliff died.  They really sucked when they started crying about Napster.  

View Quote

What he said
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 7:07:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nothing has come close to their early stuff. Lost interest in them a long time ago. Still put in ride the lightning, m.o.p., and kill em all from time 2 time.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 7:13:26 AM EDT
[#30]
First three albums were kick ass.  The only good song after that is "frayed ends of sanity". Being a really hardcore early Met fan, I can sort of hear their old style in the new song but they missed the mark........AGAIN.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top